Bluetooth microphones

I’ve been wearing Phonak Naida V’s for a week now and they are really working well for me. I’m now waiting for the I-com to become available and thinking about what devices, besides a cellphone, might be useful with it. That led me to a search of the internet in general and this forum in particular for bluetooth microphones. The only one I found was here in a posting by Admin in September, 2006, a Starkey device called BluPal. Since it is only mentioned that one time on this forum, I wonder if it was a viable product. Is it still around and, if so, how well does it work? Are there any other bluetooth microphones to choose from?

Second question. Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of sound transmission via bluetooth vs. FM? With a small add on device the I-com is supposed to be capable of handling FM as well, so FM microphones are also a consideration.

I have fitted on an epoq W (bluetooth) the following devices

1-cell phone
2-Ipod with Jabra
3-Land line
4- Car GPS
5- Apple (leopard)

you could do the same, epoq i think takes up to 8 so i would expect
exelia take about the same

Hi Wanart,

I hope the iCom comes soon. Were you given any date to expect it?

As far as bluetooth Mics the BluPal is your only option (and is still available - though mainly packaged with the Eli or Bluetooth earphones) apart from bulky (and expensive) conference type mics and should be compatible with the Icom from Phonak and also the Oticon Epoq Streamer. It is definitely a cheaper option than FM but its range is limited to about 10m (33ft) and is more suitable to gatherings around a table or connecting the BluPlal to Tv/Music etc (it seems to have an audio in).

Fm is more suited to larger ranges of up to about 20 or 25meters (about 80ft) i.e lectures etc but also gatherings (some transmitters include noise reduction algorithms that BluPal doesn’t). Fm is more prone to interference than Bluetooth, but the bandwidth is higher (I think) and the sound quality should be better.

So it really depends on what you want to achieve.

The ICom can also handle 8 devices like the Streamer with mobile phone always taking precedence.

It is important to mention that while it is possible to connect a tv with bluetooth there is a small delay, I was told this is the nature of bluetooth
as it has some delay or something…

Perhaps the other audis can also explain the technical details…

It is important to mention that while it is possible to connect a tv with bluetooth there is a small delay, I was told this is the nature of bluetooth
as it has some delay or something…

Perhaps the other audis can also explain the technical details…

I have spoken to Phonak re this and apparently it is an Epoq streamer only issue (I saw on the web that certain Bluetooth headphones have this issue but not all of them). I guess we’ll have to see once the iCom is actually available.

I have read where some new hearing aids, (Phonak) are Bluetooth compatible, allowing a cell phone to connect to a hearing aid. I have also read where bluetooth technology is very power consumptive. My bluetooth headset lasts about an hour of talk time then kaput. Any news about how long a zinc-air battery will last if bluetooth electronics are connected / integrated?

Hi All,

Hearnow asked if I had been given a release date for the I-com. No I haven’t. My follow up appointment is April 3, but no promises were made about the I-com being there by then.

David Pearson expressed concern about the battery drain that Bluetooth would cause in enabled aids. It is my understanding, David, that the aids themselves do not have Bluetooth within them for that very reason. Instead there is an external wireloop device such as the I-com for Phonak, and the Streamer for Oticon. The external device acts as a transceiver. It receives Bluetooth signals and then transmits the signal wirelessly to the aids through some other means. I’m not sure what the other means is.

David Pearson expressed concern about the battery drain that Bluetooth would cause in enabled aids. It is my understanding, David, that the aids themselves do not have Bluetooth within them for that very reason. Instead there is an external wireloop device such as the I-com for Phonak, and the Streamer for Oticon. The external device acts as a transceiver. It receives Bluetooth signals and then transmits the signal wirelessly to the aids through some other means. I’m not sure what the other means is.

The means which the Exelia (and Epoq) receives and transmits sound from the iCom (Streamer - Epoq) is by means of Digitally encoded induction (10.6 Mhz frequency range) which means much less interference from outside sources. The high speed of the Exelia’s Body area network (320kBit/s) allows stereo sound compared to Epoq’s Mono (but binaurally delivered - 120kBit/s) sound. The iCom has a reported talk time of 8Hrs compared to the 4 of the Streamer. The higher data transmision rate of the Exelia and iCom also effectively overcomes the 200ms delay incurred when using aBluetooth adapter for TV transmision (as found in many other Bluetooth headsets and the Streamer).

Oticon just released Epoq TV
their version to correct this issues…

it should be available quite soon,

Hi,

My apologies to David Gibson. In my posting of 3-26-08 I named him David Pearson. Sorry about that.

You can always edit your own posts. Just click the lower right “edit” button in the post.

I don’t care what you call me, just call me. :wink:

Do you have any idea how this works? Is it a new streamer on some other gadget?

it was develop by senhieser (which oticon owns partially )
so it is something you plug out of your red and white cables from your tv…

Is there anywhere on the web that I could find more info on this. Or was this straight from the horse’s mouth? I saw something re this on Audiologyonline but the one there was very clumsy as you had to replace the streamer with a t-coil neckloop and then infra-red TV transmision - which adds another gadget just for Tv (which was achievable before the epoq). Hopefully it is a bit more refined, but doesn’t sound like you could just use std bluetooth though.

this will be anounce in the trade show next week,