Bluetooth hearing aids in secure facilities

Some CIC are available with NO bluetooth. If it has any Bluetooth capability (even just for adjusting volume or settings) it will not be permitted in most secure facilities.

1 Like

The security office where he works should be able to advise him about this

In 2020 Two Men in California Sued over this and Won as its against the Americans with Disabilities Act law passed in 1990 if you look under “Requiring Reasonable Accommodations”.The ADA does not require one to disclose wearing HA.Only a Penile Implant will require notification in secure facilities.LOL!

1 Like

Could you cite the suit? It seems unlikely it applies to national security situations, but I am curious.

I have a list of HAs which SSOs are allowed to approve certain ones, and others forbidden. It covers other medical devices as well. Each situation, device, facility, user, etc is unique and would require approval by the SSO of that facility. The list is controlled information, so I can’t share it.

WH

Meant to include this. This is available from a google search, (open source) so I can share.

ACC Bluetooth Enabled Breast Pumps in Secure Facilities

Fitness trackers, devices related to cardiac issues, and a variety of other things are on other lists. SSO still needs to approve, and the user needs to accept an agreement in requesting to bring it in.

WH

Yes, on phonak lumity you can set it up to not have a Bluetooth+mic program for streaming or phone.

You can- but I suspect left and right HA will still engage in wireless communication, no?

They would communicate, but you would have to ask Phonak what frequencies. They could not do any kind of file transfer with any other device.

This just came up again at our facility. A request was made for a reasonable accomodation for a phonak lumity for an employee. After review it was determined the risks were not acceptable and the need did not override the risk to national security. The request was denied and alternative options offered.

Basic reasons without going into much detail- the design of having an always ‘on’ microphone that does digitally processes all speech heard, the wireless functionality even if disabled, ultimately the vulnerabilities that could be seized upon by a bad actor.

1 Like