Bluetooth hearing aids and environmental noise

I listen to music, audiobooks and lectures when I walk. Headphones and earphones block the environmental noise to the extent I often do not hear approaching cars, which is a safety issue on country roads. If I use Bluetooth enabled HAs, how much microphone is combined with the audio stream? For an example, older telephone handsets provided a certain amount of feed from the mouthpiece to the earpiece, else people tended to shout into the phone. Do the HAs feed some microphone into the audio stream?

Fred F

1 Like

This depends on how the aids are set.

For me, I have 50/50 mic/audio source. Some people prefer to have their mics completely off but I don’t like that.

1 Like

Hi.

You can also make the following configuration on the phone so that the bluetooth audio is only heard by one of the aids, left for example, so the right aid works normally without a bluetooth connection, being able to receive the sounds that surround us and avoid dangers.

I use this configuration, so I am safe.

2 Likes

Different HAs handle this differently. Oticon OPN provides a way for user to adjust the ratio of streamed audio to mic audio in realtime. Signia Pure NX do not allow adjustment of that ratio in realtime (with the exception of TV streaming, where the ratio is adjustable).

Setting the ratio once (by fitter) is not optimal because the listening situation changes. Sitting at my desk at work in a noisy environment I want to block mic audio while I stream, but walking down a sidewalk I do not want to block mic audio (lest I become a speed bump).

2 Likes

The iPhone app for my Phonak aids allows one to adjust from 0% to 100% ambient sound, so one can choose the mix they are comfortable with,

1 Like

The Phonak’s Paradise are by default set to have the louder/quieter button acting as a balance between microphone signal and streaming (phone’s) signal. But it also can be set by the audi to have the mics off at all. Then the button works as usual.

1 Like

Since I’m looking to get KS10 aids, that’s probably what I will see. THANKS! to all. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do since my KS4 aids.

Fred F