Bluetooth, FM, T-coil

I’m confused. The Oticon Epoq and the soon to be Phonak Naida are both Bluetooth and FM enabled, but I don’t understand the benefits. Perhaps I would grasp it if someone were to answer these two questions. What can an FM enabled aid do that an aid with just T-coil can’t do? What can an Bluetooth enabled aid do that an aid with just T-coil can’t do?

It looks to me like a T-coil aid needs a neck loop unit of some kind to make use of either FM or Bluetooth, but both of the above named aids seem to make use of neck loops also. So, what’s their advantage?

Thanks for your help.

Art

art,
the idea of bluetooth is wireless conectivity. For example I have conected for a client the computer, the ipod the cell phone and the land line phone into the oticon streamer so that he is able to use all those instruments and hear them binaurally. My customers love the idea of talking to the phone and being able to listen in both ears hands free…

Ideally the FM is used to improve the signal to noise ratio, most people I know use them for school, lectures and what not. In a nut shell, if a room has poor acoustics, to much background noise of the speaker is to distant from you. A FM could help you listening the person who is wearing the transmiter…

Be aware, I believe some phonak FM’s have bluetooth integrated. I must say
they are the player in this arena…

The only drawback I have seen in the Oticon streamer is that it does not have voice activated dialed. Meaning, some bluethoot devices you can sell call home and the phone calls for you (super cool)

Toys Anal

Thanks for the response Xbulder. I’m still puzzled by something though. I’ve looked at various Assistive Listening Devices on the internet. Many of them consist of a neckloop with a transceiver. The transceiver takes signals from a remote microphone, or a Bluetooth cellphone, and relays the signal wirelessly to the hearing aids via the T-coil. When I go to their websites, both Oticon and Phonak depict their newest offerings (Epoq and Naida) with a neckloop with a transceiver. I assume that this new technology is not using the T-coil anymore. In fact, if I read correctly, the Epoq doesn’t even have a T-coil. Whether it’s old technology, or new technology, the user still seems to be saddled with the neckloop transceiver. So, what’s the real benefit to the new technology?

dear wanart:
yes you are right, it does not use the t coil which is a great advantage.
Do keep in mind that there is a loss in gain when switching from a M position to a T coil. It is also important to understand T coils are subjet to interference…

Another important point is that it is automatic, also remember the transmiter has a microfono so it can relay what you are talking into the phone…

The only thing i wish the epoq has is an autmatic voice dialing function.
the streamer also serves as a volume control- it is important for the
lifelearning function…

Yesterday I had paired a cellphone a land phone a pc and a ipod
it was real cool…

as for Phonak, i like to see what they will come out next…
i like the color screen… But that would come @ a higher cost for sure…

PROBLEMS WITH PAXIL