Bluetooth and flying

Do ear plugs interfere with bluetooth reception?

How do you use ear plugs with hearing aids in?
What kind of ear plugs?
If the foam type then I would say not.
I would suggest ear muffs.
I was pleasantly surprised when I put on my headphones in a plane how much the noise level was reduced. These are full over the ear headphones.

I think you mean headphones. I’m hoping that’s what you mean

[quote=“hass5744, post:3, topic:64464”]
I think you mean headphones. I’m hoping that’s what you mea. [/quote]

Me? No.
I mean if you are watching a movie and listening via Bluetooth and add plugs to kill the plane noise, will Bluetooth still work.
Don’t get sidetracked by how, why or what plugs are used

@whahuh

The Bluetooth is inside the Aid and not the receiver so if ya wearing ‘plugs’ then it won’t make any difference. They’ll work as normal.

2 Likes

Thank you; exactly the answer I was looking for.

Of course some airlines discourage and even prohibit the use of Bluetooth

I think you mean Cellular is prohibited on airplanes, not BT.

Actually neither has any effect whatsoever on the operation of the airplane and the flight attendants, at least on the flights I have been on recently, only care about you not having a large tablet or laptop for takeoff and landing as it can be a hazard due to size.

Some of the airlines give out Bluetooth headphones for first class passengers…

A lot of rules the airless set have no effect on flying. That doesn’t stop them from enforcing them

Part of the safety script that is increasingly emphasized now is to take out / turn off all headphones (be they wired or Bluetooth) during takeoffs and landings… not because of RF but because you need to be able to hear and obey cabin crew instructions. With so many people using headphones it could be a significant issue if evacuation is required unexpectedly. The relevance of this is widely misunderstood because of the whole “surely my phone / headphones / laptop can’t harm the plane” issue.

Well if that were the case they wouldn’t let you wear them anytime during the flight. I would think that there’s not much you can do electronically or through microwaves etc that can only cause harm to an airplane but no where else on the planet. But still they have their rules. Does anybody really think that seat cushion is going to save you if you ditch in the ocean.

Take off and landing are the most vulnerable aspects of the entire journey. This is where the aircraft experiences the most stress and is also near other aircraft and ground objects. Once in the air and cruising, the aircraft is in its element and relatively safer. This is why the crew doesn’t mind you being less attentive once at cruising altitude.

And yes seat cushions are designed to be floatation devices. They only have to provide a little more boyancy than the natural boyancy your body already has once in the water. But they won’t protect you from hypothermia or sharks!

My remark was made in jest and really didn’t require clarification. But thanks anyway. God help me if I’m ever caught in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in a storm with my seat cushion

You can collect a bunch and make a seat cushion fort on your desert island… :grin: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

You see. There’s always someone who has a plan

It wasn’t obvious that your remark was in jest, one of the drawbacks of reading text vs reading expressions. In fact I sensed a note of passive aggressiveness, to be honest. I’m glad you are/were joking. I don’t want to find out how it feels to be stranded in the middle of the Atlantic!

1 Like

Not passive aggressive but you need to lighten up a little. Realistically the plane hitting the water will make the seat cushions unnecessary let alone floating on one in the middle of the ocean. Which was the point I was originally trying to make about the airlines and a lot of their rules regarding electronic devices. If everyone on the planet is using Bluetooth then planes are flying through whatever powers Bluetooth 24/7. Wifi too. And microwaves. And everything each hospital produces

My intention is to simply to have a conversation but looks like I may have hit a nerve. This will be my last response to you on this topic. Bluetooth is low enough energy that it doesn’t impact anything on the plane. As others said, one of the reasons the crew wants you to put down your electronics or turn them off during takeoff and landing is so that you pay attention to any orders from them in case of an emergency. That said, I disagree with WiFi and microwaves in general because air traffic control uses the 5.4 GHz (U-NII-2C) band for weather radar. Also they use that band as a backup system for other measurements such as altitude as the aircraft approaches the airport. This band is available for use for Wi-Fi devices as well. There are specific rules surrounding manufacturers (cell phone, laptop, tablet) using this band but not all manufacturers do a great job complying. The risk is not worth the lives of people onboard an aircraft and therefore as an abundance of caution, the crew wants you to turn off all electronics. Not all airline rules are dubious or outdated; they have an effect on safely flying the aircraft.

2 Likes

Ok hass5744, since this was my question and your answer was directed at me, here’s MY response:

Your answer had nothing to do with the question, launched the topic into the stratosphere and yes I saw it as borderline passive aggressive.

But don’t feel bad or take it personally. In the world of social media, this is a regular occurrence and is usually perpetrated by someone with the need to say something, anything, so they can feel like they have made a contribution of wisdom.

Some people have something to say; some people have to say something.

The result is predictable, as proven here.

Thanks to LawyerFL, janofh, greg.smith and cheerio, for the non-hysterical logic and clarity and Zebras for actually answering the question, way up at the top…

Now can we end this off topic did-so-did-not before the real answer has lost all relevance?