Bluetooth 5.2 - Will it solve latency and power issues?

I saw where Monster has some sort of bluetooth broadcasting system that lets multiple people stream bluetooth.

Ok

From https://www.embedded-computing.com/home-page/5e1361a12c6e1

Version 5.2 of the Bluetooth Core specification introduces support for isochronous channels over Bluetooth Low Energy between the source (e.g. your phone) and the receivers (e.g. earbuds). Left and right audio channels are transmitted and picked up simultaneously: Quality at the earbuds is as good as it is at the source. Furthermore, an additional channel can be supported for voice control, coming back from earbud-microphone pickup. You can have simultaneous TWS and voice. While answering a call, your music can still play in the background, at reduced volume.

and

Multi-source is supported, which means that you can connect to audio sources from a number of music playing mechanisms, switch from one source to another instantaneously, and allow any one of these to dominate while others are turned down but not silenced.

Edit: Thinking about this, you would have like a mixing desk on your phone. You might have microphones on 2 or 3 friends at a gathering. Make one in your left ear, one in your right, one straight ahead. Mix their relative volumes so you can still hear the outside world. Not sure the world needs more people playing with their phones at parties though.

1 Like

This was thing I was talking about from Monster: Monster Introduces New MultiLink Bluetooth Technology at CES 2020

Sounds completely unrelated to Bluetooth 5.2 Sounds like it does some of the same thing though.

Ancroid Central:

Official press release:
https://www.bluetooth.com/press/bluetooth-sig-unveils-le-audio-the-next-generation-of-bluetooth-audio/

Bluetooth SIG: Low Energy Audio

2 Likes

It does. It’s probably dead in the water at this point.

See Bluetooth 5.2 to Revolutionize Hearing Tech and Drive Further Market Growth

I almost beat you to posting a link to your own article. fig jam. Maybe I should go and get a life. Nice article.

1 Like

Hahahah… Fig jam, is that a thing? I mean, I eat it with cheese and crackers, but didn’t know it was a saying. Oh, and thanks… Nick was quite the nice fellow on the phone. I enjoyed speaking with him.

Yes, fig jam is delicious. It also stands for “F* I’m good. Just ask me”. Nick responded to a fishing expedition email I sent him. He didn’t disclose any hard information about what was happening at GIS (no surprise really) but at least he took the time to respond.

1 Like

GIS == SIG I’m assuming?

Apparently. I found that acronym in one of the pages I linked to.

And rather than start a new post, I hightly recommend Nick Hunn’s hot-off-the-press hearables report. Lots of intelligent analysis of where technology is taking us- including a look at the hearing aid industry.

Downloadable here: http://bit.ly/hearables2025

1 Like

Yep, I read the whole thing last night (got a preview) before my call with Nick, and I cannot express how much I enjoyed reading it. I am so excited about the next 5 years :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good news for us!

But I’m a little confused.
Bluetooth 5.1 can support this codec too I think, as it says in the goodix webpage news:
“Goodix’s demo is Bluetooth 5.1 compliant and supports the next-generation of Bluetooth LE ISOC (isochronous) architecture, delivering high quality wireless audio performances.”
Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Lite can support this if finally get bte 5.1 for example.
The problem may be when they are implemented in the hearing aids.

Yes, good news, but I wouldn’t expect any current or soon to be released tech to be compatible. We’ve been talking about this on the forums for years (search Bluetooth 5 for multiple discussions)
From what I can tell, the Note 10 Lite will use an Exynos 9810 cpu which has been around for awhile and I think unlikely to support BT 5.1. The only smartphone CPU that I’m aware of that will support BT 5.1 is the Snapdragon 865. Although I’ve done it myself, I think buying tech for future compatibility is a fools game. You’ll pay a premium and it may not work. Wait until a product is mature and it can be affordable and it will actually work.

I doubt that my current phone with a BT 5 radio will work but I’m not totally convinced it couldn’t. I did a quick search and as far as I can tell the only version change from 4.0 onwards that required a hardware change was the introduction of BT 5. I’m happy to be corrected on that.

It’s probably a moot question because for most of us (definitely for me) our system upgrades will run out before 5.2 appears. Out of interest, does anyone know if Bluetooth 5.1 required a minimum version of Android?

I’m unaware of any phones having Bluetooth 5.1 yet. I don’t even know if Android 10 supports it.
For historical comparison, I know Moto X4 had BT 5 hardware capability, but it was not enabled until it got Android 8 (Oreo) I also know certain current smartphones (Motorola G7 for instance) have hardware that will support BT 5, but use only BT 4.2. I think there is little incentive for phone manufacturers to add features with a software upgrade. They’d rather have you purchase a new phone.

I haven’t read all of the details but does anybody know if BT 5.2 and the new codecs would support “handsfree” (using hearing aid mics) phone calls in and of itself or would that require additional work from hearing aid manufacturer?

1 Like

I asked Nick Hunn for clarification on this and he says: “LE Audio needs the underlying isochronous channels which are defined in 5.2. It will not work with any previous version of the core spec.”

3 Likes

@AbramBaileyAuD
Thanks for the clarification!
More time to wait :weary:

@MDB
I said it because some “news” rumored about that conclusion of bluetooth 5.1 in note 10 lite, not as something 100% confirmed, but I totally agree with you, it’s risky, the best is patience when everything is more consolidated.

1 Like

Yes, from what I read, but I can’t find a link right now. It’s fully independent and simultaneous. If you think about it, it’s just another connection along with left and right ears.

1 Like