Better Damping for Hearing Aids?

I am a man of retirement age that has needed hearing aids for many years but have had terrible experience with them.
Recently, my hearing loss worsened again so I decided to give them another try but they give me such a headache! They buzz and make all kinds of loud sounds in my ears where I feel like my head is going to explode and I actually feel dizzy with them on.
So I went to an in person hearing loss support group to discuss my struggles–someone in the group told me that all of this is because of problems with “damping” in the hearing aids I have?
I guess now with the newer technology good audiologists can use better damping testing to damp out the frequencies you don’t need amplified in order to provide you with a more tolerable listening experience through hearing aids? One that doesn’t make it feel like your head is going to explode.
Can someone explain this to me in more detail? Where would I go to get hearing aids with better damping or is that dependent on the audiologist that programs them?
Thanks!

It is normal for new sounds to sound too loud and a little strange. We all go through that. Clanking dishes, flushing toilet, etc. You can ask your pro to turn it down a little, until you get used to it. It will take some time for your brain to adjust, especially since you needed aids and put it off.

I’ve been fitting hearing aids for roughly 15 years now, there isn’t much I haven’t seen or heard. The experience which you are going through reminds me of when my grandfather got his first set of hearing aids. Too noisy, too much of everything resulting in a headache and general discomfort.

The way I personally fit hearing aids uses a lot of subjective methods as well as measured methods to ensure the most comfortable and natural sound experience.

My advice is this. Determine if all sounds are where they are supposed to be. That means your perception of all sounds should be appropriately loud. Here are a few examples;

If sounds like soft scratching on the table or your palms rubbing against each other, sound louder than what you would expect, this is too loud and should be turned down so that you just hear them softly. If you can’t hear these sounds, gain for soft sounds should be made louder.

Normal sounds like conversations should be normal. Your perception of the TV volume, should be the same as a normal hearing person. Adjustments to this section should be done so that you can very comfortably hear without straining, or being overwhelmed.

Loud sounds should be loud, without being uncomfortable. If they cause pain, your gain for loud sounds and perhaps the output should be made softer.

After all this is done, balance between the ears should also be done so that your ears feel like they are at the same volume if the sound source you are listening to is front and center. You should easily be able to determine where sound is coming from in any direction in a quiet room.

Ideally if this is done well, you should almost forget you are wearing hearing aids.

Hope this helps you explain yourself to your dispenser and solve this problem.

a properly fitted , acoustically coupled modern hearing aid programmed according to your audiogram and UCL etc should not normally have these issues. You might need a few visits to to your audiologist to find a fit that is comfortable for you