Best Hearing Test Websites & Apps?

After a little research and trying I found the below tests to be best so far:

1. For speech-in-noise test:
https://apps.ntid.rit.edu/NSRT/index.php

2. For audiogram:

Anyone know of any other hearing test websites or apps that are worth adding to this list?

I’m personally mostly looking for tests to rate my speech-in-noise understanding for the different hearing aids that I’m trying at the moment.

P.S. I also wonder: do online speech-in-noise tests such as the one above give you a somewhat accurate idea of how well a hearing aid will do in real life speech-in-noise understanding? Or can tests like that not really compare with real life speech-in-noise situations?

3 Likes

I’m confused. You rate them as best but then ask about accuracy in real life situations. So what makes them best. And is any test really accurate when it comes to real life situations

I don’t understand how it’s confusing. I mention those are the best I’ve found so far. Not those are the best period.

In my question about accuracy in real life situations I’m basically asking if those kind of tests are useful for determining how good I will hear in real life when I do for example the above speech-in-noise test with a pair of hearing aids on.

If it’s useful I could for example create custom speech-in-noise audio tracks at home similar to the situations I want to hear well in and create custom programs for those situations at home. Due to covid doing that outside is isn’t that easy at the moment though I will give that a go soon too.

Any online speech in noise test is not likely to be helpful in comparing hearing aids. To really do so one would need a multi channel speaker setup and even then I don’t think it can compare to real world experience of multiple kinds of sounds coming from multiple directions.

Yes I agree. I’m not sure any test can give you accurate results in a real life situation since real life constantly fluctuates. Also everyone’s loss is different which just adds to the problem. I’m not questioning whether the op thinks these test are the best. I just saying that they may be the best for him and not others. I know for a fact they don’t work at all for me

Ok that’s what I was wondering about. Clear answers there, thanks. I’ll focus solely on going out then and seeking out real world situations to put my hearing aids to the test.

I meant best in the context of what they are: online test. I didn’t mean best as in good for the purpose of testing hearing aids, that’s why I was asking about that as I didn’t know and was wondering.

Judging for the above answers they are not good when it comes to getting a realistic idea of real world performance so I won’t be using them for that.

1 Like

Interestingly, I went and tried the Resound hearing test they have. It’s on their site - I forget the link. But I was curious to take it with headphones over my HA. It was a lot of speech in noise and they said I didn’t need HA so I guess the aids were working well ;). Granted it’s not really a reliable or practical test but it was interesting…

1 Like

Comparing HAs and doinng so carefully as you seem to be attempting is both worthwhile and challenging. I expect that this is your first set of HAs, correct?
Several things that make it challenging:

1. Even being in a real world environment with fairly stable speech in noise which would be essential to have a stable source of sound input …
    Most here will tell you that in order for any hearing aid to be properly and optimally fit for you often takes a number of sessions and tweaks from the fitter. So it is unlikely that what you are comparing are two or more sets that are optimized.

2nd depending on how much hearing loss you have it takes some time for our brains to learn to effectively process the increase in sound information that one gets after starting hearing aid use - this often takes perhaps a minimum of 3 weeks and can easily take 2 months. Again the end result of how well you hear with HAs is a bit of a moving target for a period of time. Swapping HAs back and forth within minutes of each other is probably?? better approach than trialing one set for 2 weeks and then another set.

Yes you can get useful information from trying different HAs and many people prefer one brand over another as they say the sound is more natural or less processed; or that there is both a focus on speech but also on enhancing all relevant environmental sounds.

If you are trialing HAs from different audiologists or fitters, then most here indicate that the skill and your individual relationship with that person is as or probably more important than the particular brand. Do they listen to you? Find out your goals specifically? Provide information on other strategies to support good listening on your part? and etc.

I first got HAs 7 years ago and was quite analytical about testing them (brought in tape recording of various voices that are common for me to listen to; and etc.). While I was happy with my choice and the fitter, I expect that it wasn’t until wearing HAs for 3 or 4 months that I really had enough experience with their possible strengths, challenging sounds and situations, and particular quirks that I might be able to right a detailed personal review and really know what I was looking for/hoping for. Again there is some value in what you are doing, yet perhaps also allow room for intuition to be part of making a choice.

The good news is that for any medium to higher tier HA from any of the top 5 or 6 manufacturers AND in the hands of a good audi/fittter it is likely that you will enjoy at least some improvement. Speech in noise is challenging environment for all (including teenagers), and all HAs regardless of the programming from Mfg have challenges there. If that is your key criteria and is vital in your life then as I expect you have already found - HAs aren’t a magic bullet, but do make things better.

If you want to understand some of why speech in noise is challenging for HAs then see this article and video from U of Illinois sound engineers working on the challenge. Good luck with your shopping.

P.S. Personally I use the online hearing pure tone test you linked to, and recently found the test developed at RTI. I think that both are valuable tools.

1 Like

It’s my 4th set of HAs, but previously I never attempted to find new HAs that were a significant improvement over my previous ones as my work wasn’t social like it is now, so it wasn’t as important to me then.

I’m just back from exactly such a situation. 2 people in front of me were talking in a consistently noisy diner while I was tweaking my Widex Moment HAs.

The default universal program which suppresses noise was complete rubbish, I understood less speech and things sounded as if I was underwater. The “open” program which my audi programmed in was much better. And the custom SoundSense Learn program which I created while in that situation was best. None were impressive in terms of speech-in-noise understanding though. So I’m hoping the Signia AX which I’ll start trailing Wednesday will perform better in the same situation.

P.S. I also tried the directional hearing program and found it did very little if anything. It seemed completely useless to me. And since directional settings don’t do anything for me I figure speech in noise testing with a good pair of headphones will probably benefit me after all… as the missing directional component when using headphones doesn’t in my case affect how well I hear at all, at least not with the Widex

That was my idea also, partly because I’m limited in time and partly because I don’t really believe in a long drawn out test periods. That may be an error but I just prefer to get down to things quickly, and compress testing time by dedicating a good amount of time to it now rather than stretching it out over a longer period.

What I’m aiming for this time is a HA that does good in both a noise suppression program and in an open unprocessed program. So that I can effectively switch between both depending on the situation. Thus far processed noise suppression programs always have been complete rubbish and thus useless to me. I have some hope that the Signia AX may be a solution in this respect going off the situational demo shown in this video: How Signia AX hearing aids sound in a traffic situation | Signia Hearing Aids - YouTube. If not the Octicon More is probably next on my list of HAs to try.

You might want to try Whisper.

From what I understood it’s $100 per month right? I assume my insurance won’t cover that, but I may be wrong - haven’t looked into that. With an full upfront pay hearing aid purchase my insurance covers most of it hence why I’ve been looking into that as my main option.

Thanks for clarifying your approach and goals. I had wondered whether your work situation makes speech in noise a very high priority for HA selection and program/tweaking.

You might find this online training (I think $99 cost) to improve person’s speech in noise performance of interest. While the sparse amount of research shows mixed efficacy of the training, personally I have found it of some value with some improvement in scores. In comparing experiences with another forum member doing LACE training, both of us agree that the short sessions are an intense mental workout in focusing on listening and the actual experience in the moment. While one wants listening to be more effortless, it seems that giving undivided attention to it might be worthwhile.

For your testing/trialing it might give you additional stable sound presentations of different speech in noise with which to do your comparisons.

I look forward to your comments on experience with Signia AX. I encourage you to post your audiogram in your profile which would give some context to your comments.

2 Likes

Whisper has stated that they’re working on a pricing model for insurance reimbursement. It could be available already, for all I know. I suggest finding a participating audiologist in your area, if there is one, and seeing what they say. Whisper really wants to get their devices into people’s ears (and pockets or backpacks or whatever). So I think they’d welcome your trialing their product, especially if your livelihood is affected by how well you understand people talking. All three of us on this forum who are using Whisper are very impressed by its speech-in-noise performance. And it does give you all the sounds around you.

1 Like

To be honest with you as long as people continue to wear masks my ability to determine how much my aids are helping me is severely limited

1 Like

Interesting comment. In my experience, cutting out background noise is light years better than simple amplification. Here is a simple test.

I have Widex Beyond HAs and have bought their Connect (streamer) and lapel mic. When driving on a longer trip, I will have my wife wear the mic so that I can understand her better and not have to turn to supplement our in car conversations with lip reading. Not a safe practice.

This combination makes a noticeable improvement in understanding, but not enough even though my car is better at lowering road noise. To make a quantum leap in improved understanding, I put on a BOSE sound canceling head phone (700 series wireless). Eliminating the road noise makes our conversations almost like sitting on the coach at home. I am able to easily understand her without turning to see her speak.

Background noise reduction is the MOST important requirement for speech in noise understanding improvement.

Personally I really dislike noise reduction in HAs because I don’t notice any better speech intelligibility when turning it on. What I do notice is environmental sound becomes unnatural with it on, kind of akin to being underwater, though not that extreme of course.

So I basically get no benefit, only a major drawback.

Whisper certainly isn’t changing my auditory apparatus to let me understand speech in noise, so I wonder if they cut off noise only for the duration of speech, much faster than is possible for regular hearing aids.

1 Like