Best hearing aid brands for speech and music

Hi:
I am 71 and just had hearing test(professionally) and have reduced hearing in both ears,more in the right.
I listen to music,which is my main hobby,(headphones and speakers)so I would like to know if there are hearing aids that can do double duty,as for speech and music…if so where and which brand,preferably in Canada.Thanks.

I had the same questions when I was fitted for hearing aids, and after expressing my concerns with music, my audiologist recommended WIdex. I have the Beyond 330’s, which I believe are two generations old at this point. I have been very pleased with the both the speech and music processing abilities of these HA’s. I tested some others (siemens maybe? sorry I can’t remember for sure), and while they did a good job of voice processing, the music processing wasn’t good. The Widex ha’s do a very good job of helping me hear the music without distorting it. This one thing is what sold me on the Widex aids.

Hope this helps you.

1 Like

Are the Widex HA’s bought as full range,or do they need to be programmed for different frequencies.
I see they are on-line only,so I don’t need to see an audiologist for a hearing test.
Are they a one size fits all? Thanks

I’m probably not the best person to advise you on that. i do know that the different levels (220, 330, 440) are more customizable as the numbers go up. For instance, I see online that the 330 level has 12 processing channels, while the 440 has 15.

Mine were not purchased online. I got them through my local audiologist. If it were me, I’d hunt around and try to find an in-person audiologist to set them up.

1 Like

You open a real can of worms with that question.
The answer will vary based on which h/a the responder is using.
I’ll give you my honest unbiased opinion:
Widex-Starkey Phonak-Oticon are ALL excellent for speech & music.
The real secret is finding a fitter who can by using “Best Practices” program them to your hearing loss.
I’m in the US, so can’t help with Canada, but there are other members on this forum who can assist you.

You may wish to follow this link for more insight.

2 Likes

Thanks! There seem to be a lot of talk about the Widex.Looks like I need a smart phone to control them.Looks like HA’s have come a long way.

Thanks!
More manufacturers to check out.I have seen a lot of talk on the Widex brand.

@huck: This is really not the way to find the best hearing aids for you. You need to find a good audiologist or fitter and try out the makes they suggest. Everyone has different needs and preferences.

Any of the makes are only as good or as bad as the fitter. I have been a professional solo guitarist for over 50 years. I wear Oticon More1s and am very happy with their performance, and I play for a couple of hours a day, but the open sound concept of Oticon is not everyone’s cup of tea. Some people want a more directional approach.

As @cvkemp often says, the most important thing is to find an audiologist that will work with you and walk you through the maze.

Good luck.

[Edit: Oh …and welcome to the Forum. You should try asking your question to the Search function in the page header: there’s a TON of stuff there.]

3 Likes

Thanks…I will make another appointment with my audiologist.

Realistically it’s the one that works best for you. No two individuals are the same when it comes to hearing loss. Hopefully wherever you go will allow you to trial several different aids. Because only you can answer your question

1 Like

Thanks,but maybe I should have asked which brand/model has the best music program?.Thanks

@huck: People are giving you advice, but you’re not listening! Nobody can tell you what model is best for music. You just have to try a few and see which one suits you best. As @cvkemp and many others say - everyone’s hearing is different.

1 Like

Yes. That pretty much gets the same response. The best music program is the one you like the best. Hearing loss is a very individual thing. It’s not a one size fits all

2 Likes

You gotta start hearing this message, @huck. It’s the one that will get you the best results.

1 Like

If we could see your audiogram it might help, but with that said. Hearing music is not what hearing aids have ever been indented for, speech recognition is what hearing aids have been created for. If music is your only desire then try the AirPods Pro along with the iPhone and enter your audiogram. It may or may not help, but the same can be said for all hearing aids.

I thought hearing aids were made so you can hear if they help with speech recognition all the better. But that’s not their sole purpose. Hearing music is another function aids can help. Hearing in noise is another function. All relate to improving quality of life. But speech recognition is not their only goal and for some it may be the least important to thing the aid does although any help in appreciated. But back to where we were people may be able to direct you but no one can tell you which aid is best for you. Again good advice was given asking you to post your test scores. Otherwise you’re making this very difficult. But I also agree that your first goal is to hear.

1 Like

Every Audiologist that I have ever talked to, and that is some where around 25 now, has told me over and over that hearing aids are for speech understanding first and foremost, and in the process if it helps with the rest of your hearing that is great. Now I have to say Oticon, at least for me, over my history with Oticon aids have proven to be getting better at speech and the rest of my hearing environments. When I was in my youth and 20s and maybe 30s I was able to enjoy music, I have always had the radio on in the car when traveling or going to work but it was just to distract me from the road noise. My preferred music is the orchestra of nature, birds songs, the night sounds of the insects, and even the breeze blowing the tree leafs. I have a large wind chimes in my yards and I love to hear them when the breeze is right. But I don’t go to concerts, and do not listen to music to really listen to the music, it is a distraction to mask my tinnitus

Well every hearing aid manufacturer claims their aid is the best for speech recognition which would mean they’re all lying

You are missing one very important part of the puzzle, YOU. You are and individual your experiences are different than mine, your mindset is different than mine or anyone else. Your acceptance or negative thoughts are very important. I have tried most of the different brands they all allowed me to some degree to understand speech, very few allowed me to understand music. And to be honest I know long know what passable music should sound like. To me while one on one speech is important it isn’t all that matters, I deal with at times a room full of people, mostly guys that are asking questions. Some are just like you, as it seems there are so many negative Veterans.

Before my hearing loss, and the realization that I had to learn to be patient with myself first then with everyone else, I was really negative most oof the time. What changed me was needing to work to make a living for my family. My chosen career was supporting computer software and teaching most of my customers what that very complicated server they were cursing was really meant to do. I now see that is also true with hearing aids…

It’s all too subjective to say which hearing aid will do the best job reproducing music to an individual’s liking. What @cvkemp might consider to be passable might seem absolutely awful to an audiophile like @david.hendon. And - as Chuck always points out, to his credit - not only is everybody’s hearing different - their expectations of what a hearing aid can and can’t do, as well as their ability to accept the inherent limitations of hearing aid technology play important roles in defining what is “the best hearing aid” in the opinion of that one person.

The sooner anyone looking for hearing aids “gets it” that there’s no one truly objective answer to the question “what’s the best hearing aid”, the sooner everyone can move on to discussing how to get the best fit for the individual who’s shopping. [IMO]

2 Likes