Best hearing aid for iPad AND iPhone connectivity

I just got a new Jabra Pro 20s today. The seemed pretty decent UNTIL I needed them to switch Bluetooth smoothly from my car to iPad to iPad. And phone calls in the HA was only in one ear, with staticky low volume. It was a horrible experience. I’m returning them this weekend.

After looking at the new, very expensive Oticon Intents, it looks like they have the same rotten Bluetooth issues. (Absolutely incredible.)

So the question is: What brand and model has good quality sound and features, AND has smooth stable Bluetooth management. I.e. can maintain a smooth, stable connection with an iPhone, iPad, and auto. And can automatically switch between them. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan

Did you try updating iOS firmware? Exactly which iPhone do you own?

I had similar issue with my Starkey evolv AI and Samsung S9 with Android 10 and S21 with Android 11. I had to update to Android 12 to enable audio streaming to both ears.

My current HA is a Phonak Audeo P90 RT. Given the major problems with my new Jabra and the new Oticon, I’m strongly considering having my Phonak software updated and a new profile applied. My Phonak has issues, but it does connect with my iPhone, iPad, and car pretty well.

Thanks for the suggestion

Dan.

I haven’t had problems with my car - that switching seems to work fine. However, I have my HAs paired with 2 iPhones and an iPad. I have found that it works (almost) perfectly if I leave them all connected but the bluetooth turned off on the two devices I am not actively trying to use with my HAs . If I accidentally leave bluetooth on and I am in range of two devices, streaming only works on one HA(actually one HA will stream from each device). If I then turn off the bluetooth on the device I am not trying to stream from, both HAs will stream on the device I am trying to use with no restarting/repairing/ etc. I am using Oticon Moores. As I understand it this is an issue with MFI, not necessarily the HAs (meaning this could be the case with any HAs that use MFI). Once I figured out the problem it is easily worked around though.

Can you turn Bluetooth off in the car? If not you will have to manage it in the iphone.

Why do you have the iphone connected to the car? The hearing aids are your speakers.

1 Like

I have the Oticon Real aids and my backup set of aids are the More aids, my phone is the Samsung galaxy S23 with the latest updates.
And my aids are at the latest firmware updates. I am not having issues with phone calls or streaming audiobooks. About a year ago i gave up on my iPhone IOS at the latest updates then. I haven’t regretted my switch. I will be getting the INTEND aids in late June. I have talked to my VA audiologist and the Oticon rep for the VA system here in Arkansas and Oticon is working with Samsung to fix the connectivity issues.
Now I don’t have my phone connected to my Jeep due to wanting to ensure my calls go to my aids from the phone.

I don’t think any hearing aids are going to jump from one bluetooth device to another while the first device is still turned on and in range without being manually told to do so, or at least manually disconnected from the first device. How would they know that you want them to switch from your phone to the car when the phone is still in your pocket and connected?

Phonaks can maintain simultaneous bluetooth connections with two devices at a time for streaming audio and phone calls (but not for controlling the aids via the app). This has always worked well for me using my work and personal iPhones. I sometimes throw my iPad and laptop into the mix, too, but I have to disconnect them from one of the phones to do that. I’ve never tried to connect to a car.

I don’t know if any other brands allow more than two simultaneous connections, or even whether anyone else allows more than one.

2 Likes

Resound is designed for Apple product compatibility. I also used Signia Styletto and experience one ear loosing connection. There are a few places in Apple settings bluetooth auto handoff of calls you can tweak with. I read that depending which bluetooth generation of technology your hearing uses will create compatibility ir lack of. In my Signia one hear would loose connection with my iohone and I have to restart the HA or turn bluetooth on/off in the Signia app. Freaking annoying. Reseound doesnt have that problem.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll be that guy: they’re called the Intent.

2 Likes

Well hack i have miss i have been good at spelling nothing new.

I have the Lumity and the connectivity is much better than anything else ive had. Sound is awesome too, now that it is adjusted well.

Tanks for the feedback.

I’ve decided to stick with my Phonak Paradise P90’s for now, and upgrade to the Lumity or a newer Phonak in the future. It appears that Phonak has the best Bluetooth tech when you need connections to multiple devices. Switching is pretty seamless and does not require turning Bluetooth off and on.

Best,

Dan

4 Likes

I have Lumity. I can have the TV transmitter going and be connected to my phone and tablet. When i get a call, any other sound source is muted, i take the call hands free, and after the call the previous sound source returns.

I have NO issues or complaints about the Lumity connectivity. No complaints about the sound either, now that they are adjusted well.

1 Like

Yes, the transmitter and Roger connections use FM rather than bluetooth, and you can use them to stream audio in addition to the two bluetooth connections. I’ve used a USB cable to connect my Roger On to my iPad, then used the On to stream audio from a movie on the tablet, while still remaining connected to both my phones via bluetooth. This has the added advantage of not draining the battery the way bluetooth streaming does. If you only need to hear rather than speak, it’s a possible workaround for being connected to a third device.

2 Likes