Beltone Edge Needs programming - what to do?

Can I program my Beltone Edge aid by myself?

Had a 9:30 appointment at Beltone. We got there early and saw the audiologist. He really didn’t know how to handle me. I told him right up front that my monthly income was $2,000 for myself and my 3 year old son. Usually a customer comes there, buys the edge hearing aid for $1500-$2,000 and then gets life time service which includes an annual hearing exam, cleaning of the aid, etc… I bought the aid at a Thrift store for $1. The same owner here owns multiple Beltone shops. Previously I went to the Pensacola shop and told the woman I was coming from the Philippines where I bought my aid. She hardly gave me the time of day and I had wax in my ear so she dismissed me. I didn’t want to return to see her so I’ve been flushing my ears with a syringe I bought on-line and made an appointment with the same “chain” in Milton. Today I saw the guy there and told him the truth, that I got the aid at a Thrift Store, that I wanted to have a test and wanted the thing programmed for ME. I figured I’d have to pay some amount. He was calling the owner as he worked on me. He gave me a cursory test according to him, only to see if I was in the “correctable” zone. He told me they usually do a much more detailed test. According to the test my Edge hearing aid is just barely capable of correcting my hearing loss in some decibel ranges and incapable of correction in other decibel ranges. So he called the owner and what did the owner tell him. That for $500 they would service me as though I bought the aid there. That is they would test and program this aid that is incapable of correcting my hearing. Furthermore, the owner extended an offer through the audiologist to sell me one of these “outdated” aids he has in stock for $750 along with the service included. Just confirms my feelings about this industry. The good news is he gave me the tube and ear bud sizes so I can now buy them on-line.

Please…Please…PLEASE don’t judge the entire industry off these 2 experiences with a Beltone office. Their main goal was probably to sell you a new hearing aid so by telling you the one you had wasn’t appropriate for your loss. Now, it may very well be appropriate…it may not. In general, a behind-the-ear hearing aid can be configured to fit at least a moderate - moderately severe hearing loss by using various tubes/tips. Without seeing what your hearing looks like, it’s impossible to speculate if it’s going to be strong enough for you or now. The only people that can program Beltone hearing aids are Beltone offices…

If you are employed, in school, or searching for employment I’d like to suggest you look into whether your state (if you’re in the US) offers services through an Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. If they do, you may be able to get a new hearing aid for free or a significantly reduced cost…there are also some other programs that are out there such as Hear Now and the Lion’s club that have services available if your income is below a certain level. Those are also worth looking into…

I’ve had limited experience with hearing aids and that experience has all been with hand-me-downs. However, I was fortunate in discovering the “Dizziness and Hearing” center at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila. I was living in the Philippines the past 5 years. They were great and helped me re-fit 2 in the canal’s and made impressions for behind the ear aids before I discovered these - probably not so new - behind the ear one with the generic tubes and ear buds. I’m surprised there’s not more of a used market with these available now.
Thanks for the response. I guess I’ll just have to live with this one and meanwhile check to see if I can get a better used one and I’ll also try to see if I can get funding elsewhere.
Thanks again,
Allen