Behind the ear or on the head ... which is better?

So what’s the benefit of hearing left before CI? * What is the benefit of the remaining hearing after CI? Because the rest of my hearing is very weak at 90 dB. I have already published it and I do not know how to post it with a profile xoxo .

How to add audiogram.

https://www.hearingtracker.com/audios?_ga=2.154993336.1840112417.1596628739-1969448430.1596628739

1 Like

It makes sense to have a loss of at most 40dB at or below 750Hz for getting a hybrid system. Because you always have to expect a drop of 20dB post-op in the lows. The resulting loss is then up to 60dB. Suppose your loss is already at 55dB the resulting post-op loss is then at 75dB. In this case it is better to stimulate such a loss by electrodes only. Having such a loss your gain is much higher with electric input only.
My best friend’s loss starts at 30dB at 125Hz and goes down to 75dB (!) pre-op at 750Hz. Post-Op her loss is 90dB at 750Hz. That’s very bad, much worse than mine pre-op (look at my left ear). But she uses EAS. I no longer would do that with such a loss. But having a residual hearing one still can hear without the SP that someone tries to get your attention.
In summary I would ask the surgeon to use a long electrode array and try to keep your residual hearing as much as possible but use a SP with electric stimulation (ES) only. If your loss does not drop that much as expected you are still able to try EAS if you like.
In my case my surgeon tried to keep residual hearing but said before surgery that I may loss the residual completly which is the case (but my array is longer (FlexSoft, 31mm) than the standard of Cochlear or AB).

3 Likes