Battery use question

I understand that as soon as you peel off the seal and let the air in, the battery is losing its charge. In my case, I use 312 size batteries.

1. How long will it take for a battery to lose all its charge once the seal is removed - but the battery is just sitting on a shelf?
  2. When I got my HA, I was advised to open the battery compartment at nite - which has the effect of turning off the HA. Why not just turn them off via the switch on the HA?
  3. If your hearing loss is bad and the amplification has to be more than someone w. a more mild loss - can I assume the person w. the bad loss will burn thru batteries faster?

…mike

I have read that the batteries are fully able to work until some air gets in there, hence the need for removing the stickers. Not sure about life after you remove the stickers. I also use 312’s.

2 - I have Phonak Audeo Smart V’s. I open the battery door to turn them off. My on board switch does not fully turn them off to my knowledge even though it’s currently assigned for volume.

3 - I thought the aid in my right ear would wear out the battery first as I thought it was working harder as I have more loss in that ear. But the other one has gone dead before the right one.

My understanding is that by opening the door at night it not only turns the aid off it allows any possable moisture to evaporate.

I have Starky WI’s which also use the 312 size. The batteries last a week.

In general, the more severe the loss, the more powerful the hearing aid must be to compensate for the loss. The more powerful aid then requires a larger battery to run the aid. A 312 battery may not be strong enough to power an aid for someone with say a profound loss.

I have Oticon Epoq’s that use 312’s. My hearing loss is much more severe than anything I see posted and my batteries last 5 days usually, sometimes 6. You open the HA at night to hopefully extend the life of the battery and allow moisture to escape. I’ve worn aids for 17 years now (I’m 68) and my advice is to get a good dryer if you want to extend the life of your aids.

I’ve never tested and don’t know the answer to the first question. I believe the battery charge will deplete much more slowly if you don’t actually use the battery in a hearing aid but only remove the sticker exposing the inside of the battery to air, but I don’t know how long the battery would continue to have enough charge to power the aids for at least a day. Removing the sticker early is not a good idea, though. The best thing to do is remove the sticker one minute before you power up the aid using that battery. We debated in another thread a few months back whether there was any gain in battery life to be had by putting the sticker back on at night. I found no gain in my tests. Someone else reported a small gain. YMMV.

Yes, you open the door to let moisture evaporate, and many users and audiologists agree keeping aids dry is VITAL to their long life. For that reason, the drying devices are recommended and their use has been anecdotally suggested to be a key difference in those who get say, six to eight years out of their hearing aids without needing repairs rather than only two or three years. If you get a drying device, you will get a small boost in battery life by not putting the batteries in the drying device inside the aids, as a dryer can slightly shorten battery life due to heating and dehumidification.

Higher gain settings will likely wear out batteries faster, yes. So would other user variables such as use of wireless features, use of noise reduction programs, and so on. But I’m reminded of the old Fawlty Towers episode with Mrs. Richards who wouldn’t turn her aids on because she didn’t want to wear out the batteries; this strategy is not smart. Even in Aleras/Futures which munch 312 batteries like jelly beans, the batteries are a small part of the cost of hearing aids and it would not make much sense to restrict your needed use just to save on battery juice.

Whether there is improved battery life keeping the batteries out of the drier, I think, is still a matter for debate.

If there is any loss…it is minimal…but a lot of that depends on season/climate, I think. It seems to depend on who you believe or the methods that they use to test the theory.

I would agree with everything else Hamjor said. Definitely don’t remove the stickers early. The reaction is chemical, with atmospheric air, and once it is started cannot be stopped (which is why putting the tabs on won’t work).

Have fun.

Just commenting… yea the stickers stay on until needed for use. Guess its just me but I never open the battery door, just power 'em off and put them in my nighttable drawer for the night. Never have had moisture problems.
Oh… my hearing loss is listed as moderate to severe so I wear the BTE and full shell molds (no holes in them please!) and the batteries are size 13 and last for about 2 weeks.

Yes, it is a chemical reaction between zinc and air. If the seal is placed back on the battery, the reaction will consume the air trapped in the cell then STOP.

Here is a cut and paste from a duracell tech paper…
xxxxxxxxxx
5.9 Activated Life
<snip>

It is possible to prolong the life of the battery by re-covering the air holes with the tab after each use, but the benefits of this strategy vary considerably and are highly dependent upon the environmental conditions. The best practice is to place the cell in the device and use it until it is discharged.

Sure, it’s always debatable, but here’s what I found with my gear, at least this past winter in the Great Lakes climate with a humidified home using an aid model (Alera) that uses up 312 batteries in only three to four days, even shutting them off at night. Going back and forth between leaving the doors open with batteries in the aids when putting them in the drying device versus leaving the doors open but removing the batteries before putting the aids in the drying device, I get about a 20% boost in my battery life by keeping the batteries out of the drying device. Of course everyone’s mileage may vary on this depending on many variables, not just season/climate, but also the drying device model, the battery model, and the model of aids and how they’re set and how much wireless is used. It’s an easy thing for each of us to test and it may be worth the effort. OTOH, batteries are not really all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, so for those who don’t want to bother, that’s fine, too. I find one of my aids drains the aid battery faster than the other, so another good reason for me to take them out each night is to alternate which battery goes in which aid the next day.

And actually, I can think of one plausible reason not to bother removing your batteries until they die. Every time you work with these tiny batteries which can bounce and roll away, you risk dropping one and not being able to find it. If you have kids or pets that may ingest a lost battery at risk to their health, that’s a reason to exercise more caution. I try to install and remove my batteries with a magnet brush, but they’re still a hassle.

I tested and found no difference in battery life in my gear re-covering the batteries with a sticker overnight.