Battery life

so, how many folks really care… I’m glad you know how to figure that out, assuming you are correct, I’m not going to the trouble to check. If you have already spent $2k -> $6K for aids just feed them .30 batteries and enjoy them. if all anyone has to do is worry about saving a few pairs of batteries a year they have it awful good.

HA batt life
hrs 16 hr dy… brand
280 17.5 …Targa PROFREEBTE
80 5.0 …Unison 3Moda 10A BTE
176 11.0 …Starkey Destiny Power BTE
138 8.6 …unitron Moxi™ 12 312 BTE
685 42.8 …ReSound Sparx
252 15.8 …ReSound Sparx
100 6.3 …OTICON agIl prO
117 7.3 …OTICON agIl prO
215 13.4 …OTICON agIl prO
140 8.8 …OTICON agIl prO
515 32.2 …WIDEX SUPERTM440 RIC
with half lasting between 8 and 17 days.

Ok, for those interested in how long my #13 batteries lasted when taking them out of the HA every night and taping over the air holes, the answer is: 16 1/2 days. I was wearing them as I normally do from 14-16 hours per day, so they lasted an extra 4 1/2 days. Was it worth it, probably not and when you think about the possibility of breaking the battery door by removing the battery every night I don’t think I would do it all the time in order to save 16 batteries over a year period.

I don’t know what it is with the batteries.

Here’s one theory:
People with impaired hearing may be asking ‘Why me?’ Then they spend kilobucks to somewhat restore their hearing and then they go through batteries which, regardless of price, constantly reminds them of their problem.

The Lyric business strategy may be an effort to find a way around this problem.

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=11480&page=3

didn’t read all the posts but is everybody aware that the companies stop manufacturing batteries with mercury in the later half of last year?

I suspect some here either ran out of their mercury batteries or bought new aids that came with mercury free batteries.

doubledown…

…that only applies to American battery companies. Duracell, Rayovac, Energizer. Power One, for example, is German and therefore not subject to the federal agreement signed by these companies .

Power One batteries still have Mercury (Hg) and Lead (Pb) for that matter. There are warnings for both heavy metals on the back of modern Power One 6-packs. As well as a specific warning that the batteries should not be thrown in the trash.

I collect mine for recycling in a container my kid cannot open. I may switch to Rayovac mercury-free when I run out of Power One, but that is not for quite some time. I’ve still got an unopened box of 60 batteries to get through.