Battery life survey: Results are in!

The results of our survey of over 500 hearing aid users reveal the best hearing aid styles and brands for hearing aid battery consumption. Thanks to all from the forum who participated!

Hearing Aid Batteries <== Survey Results

Hi All,
I have been reading this forum for several months now and am very grateful for all of the experience that is regularly shared by the members.

As such, I was attracted to the survey above which professes to include the opinions of members of this forum.

Unfortunately, I was less than impressed, as the hearing aid tracker website appears to be run (or sponsored) by a group of independent audiologists who have apparently, for possibly obvious reasons, decided to ignore the existence of Costco’s models/brands. Costco is the largest hearing aid provider in the US after the Federal Government agencies.

For example, I perceive that the second largest “other” category that they show are mainly hearing aids sold by Costco, perhaps mostly the Kirkland Signature model. As a result, it is very hard for me to believe that any of the battery statistics listed are meaningful.

FYI, I am not an employee or supplier of Costco, but I have purchased one of their hearing aid models and am very impressed by the expertise and quality of service that I regularly receive from the PhD Audiologist and her assistants at our local Austin, TX Costco location.

Hopefully all on this forum and the survey website will take my comments constructively as this post was intended to be a suggestion to improve the credibility of the above survey - at least on my behalf.

Gordier,

Your assumption about Costco hearing aids is incorrect. We actually grouped the Costco hearing aids in with the relevant hearing aid manufacturers when compiling the results of this survey. As Costco is not a manufacturer of hearing aids themselves (they use suppliers like Phonak and Resound, etc) we made the decision not to overcomplicate the results. The “other” category was actually largely driven by smaller hearing aid manufacturers… We grouped those results together as there weren’t enough responses about any one of the smaller manufacturers to warrant inclusion as a brand category.

If you think we have a bias against Costco, I will point you to this article I wrote about the Audicus Alto RIC. Here you can see that we are clearly not against the services Costco provides.

Lastly, we have approached Costco multiple times for various reasons. I am interested in seeing their products and providers listed in our directory, and also interested in interviewing their head of clinical services about what clinical protocols they use. Unfortunately Costco has not responded to multiple requests for information/interviews…

Oh and I almost forgot… I am the full owner of Hearing Tracker, Inc, and am no longer practicing audiology… so the idea that Hearing Tracker is owned by a group of audiologists that have a conflict of interest re: Costco is unfortunately just not correct.

Funny you should mention your PhD audiologist in Austin… the information I shared on the Audicus Alto post (about Costco) was actually obtained from their Austin, TX hearing clinic. I live in Austin!

Thanks for your feedback,
Abram

Hi Abram,
THANK you for your prompt enlightening response! I stand corrected.

One thing that I still don’t understand is why the Kirkland Signature (Resound) survey responses are not a higher percentage - given the popularity of this model. But I will accept your explanations.

Thanks again for contributing to this forum.

Hi Abram,
THANK you for your prompt enlightening response! I stand corrected.

One thing that I still don’t understand is why the Kirkland Signature (Resound) survey responses are not a higher percentage - given the popularity of this model. But I will accept your explanations.

Thanks again for contributing to this forum.

No problem. I’m glad I could help clarify the issue!

Part of the problem is Kirkland hearing aids come in a variety of models, and most consumers are blissfully unaware of the exact model they own. For example, only a couple survey respondents put Kirkland 6.0. Most consumers simply put “Kirkland” or “Costco” as their brand. These aids were grouped into the “other” category as a result.

Updated my article by the way. Thanks again for the feedback.

I think your site is a great resource for hearing aid users or prospective users. I too would like to see more Costco aids in your reviews. I don’t see any to be honest. While that may be a function of your users simply not entering all pertinent info into the review, it would be nice to have some Costco reviews in there for those of us looking to compare more economical hearing aids. Maybe there could be some way to target Costco reviews for your next survey.

Tony, Thank you for your message. Here’s all the data I have for Costco/Kirkland from the survey. I hope it helps you:

What size hearing aid batteries do you use? On an typical day, how many hours do you use your hearing aid(s)? How many days does your hearing aid last on a single battery? Do you stream audio to your hearing aids from your phone, TV, or other devices? What brand of hearing aids do you use? What style of hearing aid(s) do you wear?
Size 13 16 hours 4 days 0 Kirkland Signature Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 312 16 hours 5 days 1 Kirkland signature Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 4 hours 7 days 0 Kirkland 6.0 (Costco brand) Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 13 18 hours 7 days 1 Kirkland (Costco) Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 13 4 hours 7 days 1 Kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 312 10 hours 4 days 1 Kirkland Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 12 hours 7 days 0 Kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE) with extra power
Size 312 9 hours 10 days 0 Kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 312 14 hours 5 days 0 Kirkland Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 12 hours 6 days 0 kirkland Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 13 12 hours 7 days 0 Kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 312 17 hours 3 days 1 kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 13 16 hours 7 days 0 Costco store brand Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 12 hours 3 days 0 Costco Kirkland Behind-the-Ear (BTE) with extra power
Size 13 12 hours 7 days 0 Costco brand Behind-the-Ear (BTE)
Size 13 14 hours 14 days 1 Costco Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 14 hours 2 days 1 costco Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
Size 312 17 hours 1 day 1 Costco Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)

Thank you for the prompt response.