Battery Drain with Bluetooth

Maybe it doesn’t apply to you, but if you read other posts, there is a lot of emotion around the issue.

I seem to be the only participant on this forum that has no problem with my Korean made hearing aids connecting directly via regular Bluetooth to my LG Android phone, ALead wireless Mic, and laptop Windows computer. My rechargable hearing aid batteries are not removable and run 12 hours with no problem. The aids are always “connected” to my phone when wearing them. I suppose I could connect them to my new 2018 Nissian Leaf car but I won’t bother with that.

Using the KS8’s with an iPhone 6, I’m replacing my batteries about every 3-4 days. At under 25 cents per battery, I think it’s money well spent. That’s about $1.00 per week of operating expense for an amazing hearing experience.

I define hate in this case as generalized irrational emotional reactions to ones choice of a phone that characterize the “other” as a “fanboy”. You and I have different priorities, nothing more.

1 Like

Widex Beyond and Evoke have the one of the lowest power consumption on the market. Personally, I did not find obnoxiously increased battery consumption while streaming onto my Evokes yet. I change my batteries after 5 - 7 days. I keep the 5-minute-on-air battery rule. When I didn’t, battery life shortened to five days.

I guess I got the luck of the draw. ReSound Forte 8 (same as Linx 3D). I have the 962 RIC which is the size 13 battery, and was getting 8-10 days with hours / day streaming podcasts mostly and some music. Now I have a better solution to listening to those and am getting 11+ days of battery life. (knock wood)

That’s good. With my old DREAM aids I had 12 to 13 days of battery life. When I wanted EVOKE, only 312 battery model is able to do 2.4 GHz streaming to iPhone. So I had to go with smaller battery model. But I’m quite satisfied, frankly. The aids are very light and performing well.

Yup. You’re right. I’m guilty of that.
I would not characterize my opinion of Apple as a “generalized irrational emotional reaction” though.
Cheers

Over the 13 years of wearing hearing aids and using different smartphones,I have found that the IPhone has worked the best but no where close to perfect. I am sure some of it is my hearing loss and some of it is the issues over the early years with android phones. But I am sold so far on Apple even with the extra cost.

In my view, the main advantages of Apple are stability and ease of use. The main advantage of Android is customizability. You pick which is most important to you. For me, it was customizability. My wife prefers Android, but has admitted that if she didn’t have me as her tech support, she would choose Apple. If I ever engage in any sort of “fanboy” banter, I try to be clear that it’s all in jest. “My team is the best and your team sucks because reasons!” I remember engaging in the same kind of arguments when I was on the DOS team resisting Windows!
Having said all that, one major annoyance I have is when the commercial world assumes you have an iPhone. Last I checked, market share was pretty much neck and neck, with Android having a slight advantage. Yet every where I go, I see ads that this or that gadget “works with your iPhone!” Even if said gadget is merely a bluetooth speaker.

I might be accused of being one of the haters. I have recently posted a very strong assertion that I am an Android guy in no uncertain terms. It’s not really a hatred for Apple or it’s users. It’s just that I’ve chosen my OS, and I’m fairly committed to it. My phone is not a toy, it’s a tool. And to that end, over the last 6 years, I have accumulated over 200 apps. I’m not about to start rebuilding that toolbox on another OS just to make my hearing aid connectivity a little easier. Some people seem to have a hard time accepting that.

I don’t have any issues with that. The only people who bug me are those that whine about their intermediary device and think that it should be simple for Google to fix this. There is a simple solution. It’s an iPhone. This is coming from somebody who uses Android and thinks that iPhones are overpriced, but if I really wanted direct hearing aid streaming, I’d get an iPhone in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I am someone who believes in do what feel good to you. I have used them all, windows, android and Apple. When I enjoyed playing with them I liked android and I found I was always having to do something to keep them working. I am now retired and I have better things to do than play with hardware and software all the time, so I am a fanboy and love iPhone, and Apple. I was an Electronics tech, and also a software engineer so you could say I am burned out. I am now someone that loves hiking, riding my Vespa scooter, and fishing. I am also into all types of volunteer work. I just do not want to customize any thing that has to do with computers. I just want it to work.

Perfect!! My sentiments exactly.

2 Likes

It is tiresome to rehash technology religion in unrelated threads. Perhaps this one can be closed. Admin?

OTH, when I learn how “religious” folks are about some things, I factor that into understanding what they say about other things. So it helps me understand how much zealotry might be involved in posts or not.

I have touted the use of FaceTime or Google Duo for hearing well with my MFI hearing aids. This morning it was announced that FaceTime has a serious flaw: if someone calls you on FaceTime - even if you don’t answer - the audio and video on your device is turned on. Now I recommend you use Google Duo instead. I also would suggest you turn off FaceTime until they get this serious bug fixed. To do that go into settings, then Select FaceTime and turn it off.

There is a fix coming hopefully this week

Released yesterday, I installed last evening.

1 Like

Yep updated yesterday