Batteries in dryer?

Certainly, you can’t block the vents; it’ll prevent operation.

Drying does kill the batteries, and when I used a 312 HA years ago I would use it infrequently and the batteries would always be dead by the time I picked it up again (even having opened the battery door to turn it off while stored).

What I’m hearing from people (and I LOVE empirical evidence) is that the operational life of the batteries ends before the dry-out time even when cycled daily in dryers of various kinds, so it’s not much of an issue.

But I’m confused by that article that Sierra posted. Assuming it’s accurate, I wonder what the issue could be? Is it too much moisture diluting the chemistry? Or is it Neilk’s vent-blocking theory coming into play? It wouldn’t take much moisture condensing at those tiny vents to block off the air. And the cells do need air.

That’s because once you take off the tab, the zinc air battery discharges continuously, just not as much as when it’s powering a HA.

2 Likes

And I found both drying and elevated humidity degrade the cell, to Neilk’s point. From the Wikipedia article:

" The electrolyte loses water more rapidly in conditions of high temperature and low humidity. Because the potassium hydroxide electrolyte is deliquescent, in very humid conditions excess water accumulates in the cell, flooding the cathode and destroying its active properties."

1 Like

Every night I remove the size 13 batteries from my HAs and put batteries and all in the dryer with the HA doors open.

The next morning, I put the batteries in the aids and put them on.

I can see NO detrimental effect from putting the batteries in the dryer. Being in the dryer keeps the little rascals from getting knocked off the counter.

1 Like

If you are putting them in the dryer, why bother taki g them out of the aids? just leave the battery door open and leave the aids in. Mine have always gone in whole. I use the cleaning brush/magnet to open the doors all the way if they swing shut a bit laying them in the dryer.

Because I used to have trouble with sweat getting inside and shorting out the batteries. I removed the batteries to improve airflow so they & the HAs would thoroughly dry.

A set of Ear Gear solved the sweat problem, but I continue my same process. Also, it works well with my habit of swapping the batteries between the two HAs every day to even out their consumption.

2 Likes

I was beyond ear gear. I used to spend all day Saturday and Sunday 2 weekends a month in the park racing dogs. When mine wasn’t running I was working with my breeder racing his. Walk 50 yards to the starting box to box them, or 150 yards to the finish line to catch them in 6 to 10 races for 4 programs each. It took 2 handlers per race. It was hot, we were in the sun … ear gear didn’t last long before it too was soaked. But I would leave the batteries in at night in the D&S and they were fine the next day until they got soaked again. My guy is retired now, and that is from hobby racing, no money, just prizes of dog toys and points towards championship titles. A lot of fun and a great crowd. I’m retired from the fun racing too thanks to a bad back.

As a previous poster stated, both the heat and the dryness might have an impact on the percentage of total battery life of a 10A, because a 10A lasts a relatively short time of 3-5 days anyhow. Also, the “5 minute wait rule” might be excessive, as you usually are without sound in that ear, while you are waiting for that battery to activate. My recommendation is, once you take the tab off, rub the flat side of the battery on your pant leg to make sure all the adhesive is off. I’ve seen a number of patients who complain of defective batteries, when it was just a little bit of residual paper adhesive still on the battery.

Widex markets the PerfectDry Lux dryer/dehumidifier/sanitizer (also sold by other brands/outlets). The instructions indicate that you can keep your batteries in your devices with no worry.

I’ve never noticed a difference and definitely like not having to take batteries out/put them back with every use.

Chris

3 Likes