Background noises interferes with phone calls

How Phonak Marvel and onwards work is very differently to the older Phonak Venture which I also used.

Phonak also use Classic Bluetooth so all theses features of MFi also won’t be there.

Have you tried the settings I explained in my first posts?

Regarding phone calls, I pick up no background noise but I was explained about where lows over power the highs from the hospital. @PeterH knows what this issue is actually called. I have no issue with background noise at all but then I’ve had an audiologist who saw me 30 years ago when I was a baby so is experienced.

Thank you for the reply. I happened to be the Android guy.Unless I get an Iphone with Dual SIM support (physical SIMs, not eSIM). Not particular fond of IOS’s file management limitations. Let’s see how IOS 17 progresses,

@miku see this post.

So I guess I will have to try turning off these three features:
Noiseblock
SoundRelax
Windblock

One by one. Cheers.

1 Like

My Dad has a Motorola Android Phone and it is so so loud compared to my iPhone. Have no idea why. None of my iPhones have been anywhere near as loud with the volume control.

The background noises is from my side, when I answer the phone call. And it is the hearing aid that picks up the background noises as well a my voice. When in fact, it should be the phone picking up my voice. But then I realise that it defeats the purpose of hand-free communication.

@Zebras I guess you mean the Iphone features? I use Android, so I would try find something similar.

@Zebras
Upwards masking

Just increasing volume, often doesn’t improve speech recognition as ALL frequencies, not just the ones you want, resulting in lower frequencies overpowering speech. In my limited time of self programming Marvels, if I increase gain on speech frequencies, I reduce gain in the lower and mid frequencies to compensate

YES!!

Thanks.

@miku This is what I mean.

This is my Phone + mic settings page for my Paradise. I’ve not altered this from default and it works just fine. The aids are also set to “Adaptive Bandwidth” in Device Options. This can be done in the MyPhonak app too. People can hear me fine, both indoors and outdoors, and I can hear the caller clearly. I find this an improvement over the Compilot II and Compilot II air systems I had with my Ventures

Peter

1 Like

I have all my fancy features like WindBlock, NoiseBlock and more turned completely off and I can’t hear any background noise but my Mics are also set at 0 dB.

@PeterH

To solve the issue of upwards masking, have you slightly lowered your lows and higher your highs or just higher your highs?

I lowered my lows on phone call program by 2 dB myself.

1 Like

@Zebras @PeterH

Gentlemen, thank you so much for more ideas. I shall do these during the weekend.

Though I still think this is something Phonak should recognise the difficulties hte HA users are facing. The target software should allow an alternative way to use the phone mic instead of the HA mics. And offer workarounds too.

I was told this was limited because you’re working with Classic Bluetooth in what they can do.

Form my understanding, AirPods are LE Bluetooth as well.

@Zebras

In all other streaming settings I have Windblock etc completely off. I have Whistleblock on 4, as 0 did create feedback.

In the phone setting, I’ve left all “as is”, as things like windblock will help the listener.

Peter

@PeterH

I found WindBlock to reduce the sound to the caller on the other end.

The hospital also said all these features like WindBlock etc would only help you, it would do nothing for the caller.

2 Likes

What about the “Acoustic Phone” feature? Perhaps if BT is turned OFF, and a person has a dedicated “Acoustic Phone” set up as one of the programs (as I do), it will take care of background noise?

With my Marvels and current Lumity Life aids, I’ve always had zero background noise using BT to stream the call.

Folks on the call with me have no trouble hearing me either - so whatever background I’m in (outside, in a mall, restaurant, etc.,) seems to not interfere.

While you cant mute the mics for phone calls, if you turn the volume up, it makes the phone call volume louder (of course) but it also makes environmental sounds softer. Really works. I think it is a Target setting.

The only time I got complaints on hearing me was when I first got my Marvels. I switched the Bluetooth phone connection to Adaptive, and all has been good since.

Peter

1 Like

For Phonaks with buttons on the HAs, the fitter – i.e., Target software user – can configure a button press to toggle mic mute. I use this at the start of a streaming podcast while I’m exercising on a StairMaster.