“Automatic” Bluetooth reconnect

I was surprised to learn that the Marvels/KS9s are not MFi, but after reading Apple’s steps to reconnect them after each power-down/up of the HAs I realize it’s not such a big deal (although I’d like the option of Live Listen and possibly other MFi features). What they describe is every bit as tedious as reconnecting ancient Bluetooth devices whereas most current BT audio devices ate automatically reconnected when powered on of in range (and there is a BT connection available).

This may sound trivial but consider a person who is effectively blind and struggles to do anything on even a plus-size phone.

So my question is, which of the quality HAs are as simple and reliable at automatically reconnecting to an iPhone as a $50 set of LG earbuds? Although speech recognition/comprehension is the single most critical factor in deciding this purchase, simple reliable connectivity to phone and TV/PC audio streamer are a close second.

Thanks for your insights!

1 Like

I have the Oticon OPN1 aids and the connect to my iPhone automatically anytime they are in range of my iPhone. I find speech understanding to be excellent

I’m not sure I understand your problem. Perhaps it’s related to specific HAs or a specific mobile phone. I have Marvels (M90-13T) and an iPhone 7. Every morning when I power up my HAs they connect automatically to the iPhone. No fiddling required.

1 Like

My Marvel M-90R’s do the same every morning, I put them in, pick up the iPhone 11 and they’re connected by the time I stand up.

1 Like

OK, thank you, that’s what I had assumed until I read the Apple MFi info page, and then I got worried. Perhaps I managed to access a very early MFi description still out there.
If anyone has recent HAs which do not automatically and reliably reconnect with their iPhone I would like to know about that as well.

To bad Apple has created their own set of AirPod Pro hearing aids. A who leap in technology would begin.

It has nothing to do with MFI, as you originally stated.

The latest iOS and/or certain iPhone models had terrible problems connecting or staying connected to Marvels. Do some searches on these threads for iPhone or iOS and Marvel.

Other than that Apple OS/phone idiosyncrasy, the Marvels should pair as easily as any BT headset and stay paired as easily as any BT headset. They do on my Android Samsung Note 11.

My wife’s Resound 3D connects automatically with iphone but not with the Resound multi mic that I wear. Every time we move out of range of each other, just into another room, connection is lost and she has to re-connect via the iOS app or the HA button. Is this normal?

Most phones search every few seconds for available Bluetooth devices.

Both Android and iOS phones will automatically reconnect to the KS9s however if you miss the regular scan you might have to wait an extra 20 seconds or so until it scans again.

I have the M90 Rs–using an LG G6. Mine connect automatically when I take them out of the charger. If I turn off Bluetooth for a while–or if I turn my phone off–it can take a bit to reconnect, but I’ve never had any real issues.

1 Like

There are many hearing aids that are MFi certified and connect easily to an iPhone. See this list:

MFi Compatible Hearing Aids

However, you will notice that Phonak is absent from the list. For some reason they have never gotten on board with MFi. The KS8’s were Rexton, and they are MFi, but not the KS9. Now they are supposed to have a work around using Classic Bluetooth instead of the BLE that MFi uses.

I have Phonak Marvel M90-R’s. I have an Android Pixel 3 XL phone. My Marvels connect “automatically” with my Android phone every morning when I take them out of their charging case.

The reason Marvels aren’t on the MFi compatible list is because they don’t use MFi. They use Bluetooth Classic. And the reason is simple. Both Android Phones and Apple iOS phones can use Bluetooth Classic. Only Apple iOS phones use MFi. So Marvels can directly connect with the whole world of devices that use Bluetooth Classic. That includes Android phones, Apple iPhones, Microsoft Windows computers, Apple computers, literally any device.

Here’s the bottom line. With MFi you are limited to connecting ONLY with Apple devices. With Phonak Marvels using Bluetooth Classic you can connect with ANY device. That’s the main reason that I chose my Marvels. I didn’t want the limitation of MFi. I wanted the freedom of being able to directly connect to anything I wanted, including my Android phone and my Windows 10 computers. MFi couldn’t do that.

Sierra, checking that updated list an not seeing the Phonak was what got me started digging deeper, then finding the Apple doc describing the clumsy manual connection “each time the aids are powered up” and specifically stating that each would be listed separately. Apparently a very old document.

Glad to learn that both MFi and non-MFi devices seem to work reliably like most current BT devices. Thanks.

But MFi appears to offer things not otherwise available. Ideally they would ne able to connect both ways but Apple (and many companies) like to differentiate even if it forces a choice that sometimes backfires.

I’m new to HA’s and I chose Marvels because of connectivity to my Android phone. I’ve not used anything else. You said that MFi offers things not otherwise available. What does MFi offer that isn’t available with Bluetooth Classic on my Marvels? What am I missing?

For starters, Live Listen which people have said works very well. There are generic apps for the same purpose but the first couple I checked seemed to have issues. Anyway, before getting to the rest to see what else I would be missing I first found the connection info which stopped me in my tracks. I’ll probably look again when I get around to it.

What does Live Listen do?

Edit: Never mind, I Googled “Live Listen” and now I know what it is. It sounds useful. Fortunately my hearing hasn’t reached the level where that is needed. When/if it does, I will probably go with the Roger devices that Phonak makes that purport to be the best solution, although quite expensive.

Yeah, it’s interesting how on the one hand I can’t believe I’m willing to pay the price of a high end smart phone, but on the other hand it has replaced numerous other objects, tools and devices and allows me to have them in my pocket at all times. And more impressive is that beyond a few common basics, the list is different for each person based on career, hobbies, interests, heath issues, etc. Of course the smart phone isn’t always as good as a dedicated/professional tool or “real” camera or whatever, but it’s often plenty good enough and frequently a lot better.

I’ve been in tech much of my career but when I take the time to think about it I’m still impressed with the pace and range of development just since the summer of 2007. Or maybe it’s because I’ve been in tech, perhaps most people can’t fully appreciate the amount of time, effort and the sheer talent and ingenuity of countless people working together and in parallel competition to make all this possible in such a short time. Without straying too close to the hot embers of politics, THIS is what (good) capitalism looks like!

2 Likes

My KS9s work fine with live listen. live listen is not restricted to MFi devices.

1 Like

Where did you get a Note 11? Is that a typo or do you have a pre release model?