Auditory rehabilitation questions

I am the producer of Speech ID and wanted to gauge how many of you with prior hearing loss train your hearing?
How frequent per week?
And how long per session?
If you don’t train your hearing explicitly, what do you seek for auditory stimulation outside of usual life activities?

Thanks for any feedback,
Brian

I don’t do any “training.” I did play around with an online music ear training program for a short time.
Nothing besides usual life activities.

CI also don’t do any “training” with just hearing aids. That’s about to change very soon, after my operation as I then need to start and train the brain to “hear” through a CI. From my understanding the more you do the better the result…

From my research so far, I can’t find a lot of material online to help with the retraining and recognition of words. But I want something that’s more stimulating than pre school standard.

I haven’t seen any scientific evidence that supports that auditory training does anything beyond increase confidence a bit. Seems like people would be better off taking music lessons.

There are several peer-reviewed articles that address auditory training and their advantages in a broad range of contexts, e.g., “…benefits of [auditory] training extended not only to poor-performing patients but also to good performers listening to difficult conditions (e.g., speech in noise, telephone speech, music, etc.)”
from: Maximizing Cochlear Implant Patients’ Performance with Advanced Speech Training Procedures

You are correct, there is not a lot of focused material that walks you through the process. Much of the coursework is paper-based and not very exciting nor pleasant to digest. I don’t want to promote our application too blatantly, but we have tried to make the process of aural rehab easier and adaptive to your needs with Speech ID. We have worked closely with MED-EL to create a broad series of courses that will help new implantees along with users that simply want to focus on specific sounds or contexts.

Hope this helps in your upcoming journey.

@brianobush I looked at that link, the first thing that turned me right off downloading it and registering for it was the age 4+?? Even though I’m a raw recruit to the CI I consider myself way past the age of 4+ yrs of age… Apart from that I’m not getting a Med-el.

@Deaf_piper The 4+ age means that there is no content that can be considered bad for children contained; most apps have this age classification. The app is not intended for children, as it lacks games and such that kids would be more attracted to. As for MED-EL sponsored content, aural rehabilitation is for all users not just for specific brands. The daunting challenge of (re-)learning human speech is the same regardless of brand CI you choose.

I have some question also. I do not do rehabilitation from audi.i wear HA for 15+ years.
My Audi also told to brain training but when I do it on recorded lecture with some noise I again and again repeat. Second time start a fresh . That’s story like circle especially different talker.from point of start I reach again on starting point. That’s why in my opinion for atleast HA no training required if perfectly fitted. In same way if implant perfectly activated they start recognising word from inception of first activation. And remapping just add some good value.

Sorry, I I should differentiate CI users for non-CI users with hearing loss. I was talking about the later.

Formalized auditory training can help those with hearing aids as well, see the intro and conclusion of this 2010 paper: Formal auditory training in adult hearing aid users

There are other studies as well, but this one tested a variety of auditory stimuli.

Thank you.

How can I train using Speech ID with my Android? I don’t have any Apple crap.

Sorry Dani, we don’t have an Android version ready at this time. Follow us on Twitter for updates!

The problem is that there has not been any large sample, long term studies on this. But to my mind, it just makes sense. Anything you practice consistently, you get better at. Why would listening be any different?

I had posted in another thread on the same topic that my own experience leads me to believe it is effective for those who practice it consistently. I just talked with a patient here in our office who I met for the first time this week who swears by it. She used RMQ, (Read My Quips), and the Hear Coach App games faithfully 4 to 5 times per week, 15 to 20 minutes a session, for a year. She is also an avid reader, so she started reading out loud to herself. This started in 2015, and when she was in for her first annual re-test in 2016, they found her speech discrim in quiet had improved by 16%.

I know it’s only one person, and not everyone will improve that much, but it only makes sense to recommend such activities to our patients if there’s even a shred of evidence that it works.

2 Likes

That’s not generally a significant improvement though.

It may not seem very high, but 16% is an amazing rate of improvement. It is basically being able to discriminate accurately one out of every six words. Not only does the understanding improve, but the cognitive load to listen is reduced.

It is literally a non-significant difference, is what I am saying, unless you are right at the edge. And that chart is for a 50 word list, most people are testing WRS with 25.

An app suggested on another site for auditory training after CI is Angel Sound. I don’t have a CI, use HA. I tried the free version. It did help a bit years ago when I could hear better. Now I don’t try to understand speech anymore.

sorry to disagree…

but to someone who is starting at 64% discrim, going to 80% is huge.

1 Like