After reading all through this site one thing seems to stand out - Audiologists are basically tied to selling a product, i.e. hearing aids. But as I look at the Audi’s in general several things seem to stand out:
- Often tied to a single HA brand.
- Often tie hearing tests to sale of HA (i.e. "free testing")
- Always, in my limited experience, require that they do a hearing test (don't accept tests by other Audi's!) before talking seriously about any HAs.
- Do Audi's have specific education requirements controlled by a "state"/.government entity?
- Are Audi's licensed or officially verified by anyone?
- If licensed, are audi's required to demonstrate any expertise or competence (e.g.; Board Cert or specific test results or ??) to get a license? Or is licensing more an administrative function.
- Are there specific regulatory controls on hearing tests or equipment used? This might minimize test differences from Audi to Audi?
- Any continuing education requirements?
I am NOT trying to belittle the training and dedication many Audi’s exhibit but I would like to baseline what range of mandated competence I can expect. That being said, I particularly don’t understand why I can’t use a current (whatever that means) hearing test done by an “accredited” Audi to discuss hearing issues, recommended procedures and/or specific hearing aids and fairly accurate prices w/o starting with a new hearing test. This may mot be a big deal but if I start to discuss my situation with an Audi I can leave at any point w/o the wasted time (and often direct sales pitch) following the testing. I have no qualms about doing another hearing test to directly support the sale and fitting of an agreed upon HA but after the first test I don’t see the value of further testing until a specific course of treatment/ HAs are being implemented.
My current Audi and my insurance (now directing me to a specific Sonus office) have me confused and I’m just trying to make some sense (like Rachel Maddow on MSNBC) of my search. Am I way off base?
Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far, the aid has been a Godsend to a first time HA searcher.
0250 L- 40 R- 40
0500 L- 45 R- 50
1000 L- 50 R- 55
1500 L- 70 R- 65
2000 L- 80 R- 80
3000 L- 90 R- 95
4000 L-105 R-120
8000 L- 95 R-110
Word Recognition L -Too Poor @ 70 dB >> R -Too Poor @ 75 dB