Audiogram: Slight or moderate loss?

Can someone please chime in about my audiogram to see if I have slight or moderate hearing loss. TIA

IMG_2614

Mild to moderate loss.

1 Like

@Zebras, thanks for your input.
Regards

The top row across each page, find the FORUM tab. Under it is HEARING TEST. There you can add your audiogram to avatar on this website.

By clicking other people’s avatar that has the little hearing aid dome you can see what their audiogram is. When there you can move your mouse or tap the screen to see where severe, moderate profound etc losses are.

1 Like

My take is that it really doesn’t convey much information to try to describe a sloping loss with one word. What are you trying to accomplish by the description? If it’s to describe the degree of impairment, word recognition scores are likely the best way. If one insists on wanting one word, I’d look at the worst loss in the 1-3khz range and call it that. Using that “method,” I’d call your left ear’s loss moderately severe.

3 Likes

Calculating mean of threshold values for right ear at 0.5, 1, 2, 4 kHz:
15+40+40+65 yields mean of 40.
Left ear: 20+45+55+60 yields mean of 45 - which means your right ear is the better one.
According to WHO, you have a slight hearing impairment.

Personally, I don’t find measuring threshold levels of pure tones in quiet surroundings of much use and useless as a measure of hearing impairment, as it has nothing to do with everyday listening situations. I find measuring of speech perception in noise much more useful. To put it very simple: It doesn’t take any brain activity to hear pure tones in contrast to speech, which primarily is brain work. So if the “fault” is in the ears, there’s a good chance that hearing aids might help, whereas they do not do much good in case of brain “fault”.

1 Like

@ ds63tgtpep
Thanks for your input. Appreciate this. Just trying to make sense of my chart.
Regards

The speech banana can also help you understand your audiogram.

Despite this being approved by the WHO (don’t really like Daltrey tbh), the averaging of thresholds is pretty meaningless to calculate the degree of impairment. Especially when you look at a steep ski-slope loss which pivots say at 1KHz/40dB.

The degree of intelligibility of speech is heavily weighted to a band between about 1.5 and 4.5Khz, when you add that to the need to hear in noisy LF situations, the equal usability of all frequencies is pretty meaningless. Which is why that multicoloured chart is fairly pointless too.

When you combine this with the loss of auditory resolution that occurs with presbyacusis, you have a whole world of issues that the chart doesn’t illustrate.

Or to put it another way, you could have a big sloping HF presbyacusis, with the pivot at 1khz vs a flat conductive 40dB loss. The average of both losses could be the same, but the conductive 40dB patient (possibly from birth) may not even realise they have an issue, while the classic sloping HF loss will have all sorts of issues in normal conditions, worsening in noise.

4 Likes

*That chart should say 8000Hz on the top right, or 6K if it’s a half octave.

1 Like

Are you saying the speech banana is pointless?
I have always thought it is a very helpful illustration for people to better understand how their audiogram falls into speech and why they are having difficulty.
If it is really pointless I will stop putting it up for people to look at.

1 Like

Doesn’t Audiograms go up to 8K rather then 5K like your picture shows? I’m learning so I might not be right.

The audiogram gives you an idea of what you are dealing with under ideal situations. A soundproof booth with no distractions. The real world with throw a thousand distractions at you from a million different directions. That’s why I’m a big believer of a trial period with new aids for say 2 weeks so you can evaluate them in a real world environment

1 Like

A typical audiogram goes up to 8K, although most useful speech info is under 5K.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that about speech. Thanks.

Audiogram is tonal. And instructions are ‘show when you hear anything’.

Assuming that all people will hear pure tones as pure tones is funny. And this WHO guideline is also funny. By such formulas I’m hearing fine, but in reality my bad ear is useless :rofl:

Even if your pure tones are pure and you did test well, that doesn’t mean your brain knows what to do with other tones that come in.
However, any distortion even in pure tones, just implies bunch of distortion in general, and then your brain will suffer hardly to extract useful informations.

We have member here who has issues with understanding, especially in bg noise, and has normal hearing with slight loss in just a few frequencies.

I don’t hear pure tones below around 1500, and that impacts hugely my ability to comprehend speech.
I literally don’t hear some voices, no matter how loud you make them. I think I’ve deciphered h sound depending on the sounds around it I might not hear at all.

And there’s estimate that I need 19 db signal to noise ratio to be able to decipher thing spoken to me in speech babble noise. That’s huge. Normal hearing person needs 1-3. Aids help up to around 5-8, mics up to 10-15…

So much better to understand your loss is to see what’s your word recognition score in quiet, in noise, and speech in noise.
And then test aids if they managed to give you that or better, to see if they’re helping you.

I personally see audiograms like more of a objective measure of ‘do you have a loss’, but not as an objective measure of ‘how much your loss is an impairment for you’. That’s strongly subjective, some parts can be measured (eg WRS), but you’re the only one who will exactly know where you struggle and if something helps or not.

4 Likes

Smart observation and a helpful one! Thanks.

It sounds like you are in dire straits when it comes to your hearing. Sorry to hear that. Were you born with that kind of loss or did you suffer the loss through some malady or mishap?

1 Like

None of the above. I woke up one day and couldn’t hear anymore on that side. Cause wasn’t found, so your guess is as good as theirs :rofl: ‘ear stroke due to a blood clot’, ‘lack of oxygen but we don’t know how’, ‘something else’.
Day before heard perfectly fine, did nothing unusual, expect ate a great steak in a silent restaurant.

… and you now know it doesn’t say much about your hearing loss, but I must say it really started a much needed and healthy discussion about pure-tone audiometry. You did not mention if you have hearing aids, but without being an audi, I would think you could benefit from a pair of them. If not for any other reason, then to preserve your brain. It needs constant stimulation and if it’s not getting that, it shrinks (no joke). Take a look at “The link between hearing loss and Alzheimer’s disease”. It’s not just an ad for Beltone HAs - you will find similar info around the web.

I totally agree with you. According to WHO, I have no hearing impairment at all because most of my hearing loss is in the high frequency range, but I have been wearing HAs the past seven years all day every day and using them with different accesories about 25% of the time - wouldn’t be without them.

I would say that it’s not enough. In Denmark you get HAs through taxpayed public health care, and the trial period is 3 months. You need that, especially for first time users, because aids fitted according to audiogram would be a chok with a great risk of HAs being left to rest in a drawer. In Denmark, most audis would increase amplification in steps at monthly checkups the first 3 months. I myself asked the audi to activate the “Acceptance Manager” in the aids, which automatically increased amplification over a period of 3 months.

1 Like

Most of us in the US are aware that in Denmark medical care is very, very different from what we get here in the states. You guys get care. We don’t. Hearing aids can be very, very expensive and many people need them but can’t afford them. At age 65 we have to go on Medicare Part A, which covers hospitalization, and Medicare Part B, which we pay for and which provides in-office doctor visits. Before the age of 65 you either get insurnace that your employer offers and subsidizes or you’re on your own. Millions of folks have no insurnace at all. A hospitalization can easily bankrupt them. Maybe that will change in the future, but nationalized health care has many opponents.