Audiogram Direct on my Phonak Brio’s

I’ve just preformed Audiogram Direct and selected that I got a 1.5mm vent in my right ear.

I’m now hearing a lot better out of my right ear as last time I performed AD was without selecting a vent.

I never thought to select that I had a vent. I always thought it was best to do the test without vents.

(Still waiting for one of my new hearing aids to come.)

1 Like

Pretty amazing how well the aids work when the software is followed correctly.
It seems I am learning something new every time I get in it. Learning the software is one thing but understanding hearing loss is another. Then they need to be tied together.

I thought you were getting Sky aids.

1 Like

I’ve got one of the Sky aids but I’m still waiting for the other one to arrive.

I’ve been self programming since 2011 and I’m still learning.

2 Likes

Aye Zebras & Raudrive, just started out again on the programing… Tis been many years since I was tweaking my old Ambras, but I am glad I am back, just got my Noahlink Wireless from the States today, strait in there at the deep end lol :wink: and managed to knacker my Audi’s settings, only to end up with a set of Marvels 90 13s that were way too loud!!! Updated Noah’s firmware prior to starting, what a bit of kit that is! I then decided that a bit of research was the order of the day, read up about AudiogramDirect on PhonakPro, then I did some searching on here and delved back in again I eventually got it right, tweaking here and there, but also after a bit of swearing :slight_smile: then WOW, that is without doubt the best I have heard in 30 years, way above anything my Audi had set up and I was very impressed with that lady, she is an excellent Audi, I have a wee bit of explaining to do if I need to visit her, but I am sure she will be fine as we get on really well… AudiogramDirect is the route I shall choose from now on, I don’t have to tweak any more, apart from changing the odd program… Thank u’all for your imput, especially about AudiogramDirect on this and other threads twas most enlightening. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Kev, how different is your Audiogram Direct audiogram from the previous audiogram that was fitted to? Are the differences all in the same direction?

1 Like

I have found when using Audiogram Direct to hone in on each frequency when it is just heard to give the best results.

It is also very important to enter correct acoustics and run feedback manager.

You probably know all this but wanted to mention it.

I am envious of your Audeo M90 13 aids. I plan to buy a set from eBay when the prices come down some.

2 Likes

Thank you Raudrive… I did something slightly different once I was just hearing a tone I moved it up about 5db until I was hearing it clearly and yeah I was careful to set the acoustic parameters and I ran feedback manager, I also did something else, I switched on compression to it’s target setting… perhaps it was a just a lucky combination? But it worked! Cheers Kev :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Brec, slightly different from my normal test and flatter, I have not had a chance to compare both, but would say from memory my right ear was slightly better and left slightly worse, I waited till I heard each tone and then moved it up 5db so I was hearing it clearly, you cannot test above 100db with AudiogramDirect and it only goes up to 6k, so I switched on compression to see if that would help and that combination seems to have worked for me along with the “Exact” acoustic parameters… Good luck, Cheers Kev👍

1 Like

You can unclick the box that stops the AD measuring at more then a 100 dB or at least you can with my hearing aids.

2 Likes

Thank you Zebras for that info :+1:

1 Like

Anybody have a guess – or perhaps know – why Audiogram Direct doesn’t go beyond 6 kHz to 8 kHz?

This seems to me more-or-less equivalent to using the traditional “just barely aware” criterion and then boosting the resulting target gains by 5 dB. And there’s a rule of thumb that audiologists’ adjustments during REM (real ear measurement) boosts gains by 6 dB on average. My hypothesis, therefore, is that lowering Audiogram Direct curves by 5 dB is a kind of “poor man’s REM.”

2 Likes

The Naida B90 UP aids I bought for my profound hearing loss were powerful enough to go to 120 dB while doing audiogram direct. This is when I learned I had lost my hearing in the upper frequencies. This is when I realized there was no need to put gain in those areas. Audiologists and fitters had not caught this in the past and tried to fit me to these non hearing areas which did not work.

I suspect there are others like me having the same issues. Don on this forum has been a blessing to me concerning frequency lowering. His ideas have help me a bunch.

As Zebras has said, yes, we can test at higher dB.

2 Likes

Thank you Brec, I will try the exact tone as soon as I hear it and see if there is any improvement, sometime over the weekend, if not I can revert back… Cheers Kev :wink:

Thank you Raudrive for your imput… Cheers Kev :wink:

I’ve really tried to find instructions for programming with Audiogram Direct but with no luck. I’ve guessed at it and got my aids working pretty well but does anyone have step by step instructions on exactly how to do it? I’m using Target 6.2.

Have you learned how to click your mouse on each frequency at different dB to get a tone for your left ear and the your right ear?
This is while you have your aids in your ears.

Yes. But after that I had no idea what to do about UCL. I finally just selected some points below the AC points so I could move on to the next step. Without the UCL points the software just its there waiting for me to do something.

Ok,
Just seeing where you are at.
I have never had to enter UCL points for Target to move forward.
In Setup under Fitting Session select Audiogram Direct.
There you will find selections for Audiogram Direct. I only select the first box, Use audiogram as starting point for AC ULC thresholds. No other boxes are selected on that page.

I’ve never had to type in the UCL either. I just click save and move on.