Audeo S IX Smart versus Naida S IX CRT

Two audis have recommended the Naida S IX CRT and one has recommended the Audeo S IX Smart.

I believe the primary reasons for recommending the Naida is due to the flexibility for greater power should my hearing further deteriorate and the water resistance. I just had my first hearing test in decades and don’t really know if the hearing loss has been gradual or if it is more sudden. I think it has been gradual.

The main reason for recommending the Audeo is that it is much smaller and “all HAs are water resistant,” so the Naida water resistance is not that important - it’s just a marketing gimmick. Also the Audeos are $100 cheaper each.

Size is not that important to me personally, in fact I think I might prefer the longer battery life. But I know my wife would like me to have a small one, but she also believes water resistance would be important as it can affect longevity for an expensive device.

Any thoughts?

They have an Ambra BTE that is also waterproof like the Naida one…it’s a little bigger than the Audeo S but not as big as the naida. It’s not a CRT though.

Your hearing loss isn’t so bad that I’d say you need the Naida’s. I have a lot of people wearing the Audeo S Smart and very few (probably less than 5%) have had any issues with moisture…for whatever that’s worth.

Thanks for your insights. I have only been on this forum a short time but I have quickly come to respects your views.

I did consider the Ambra. If you look hard enough Phonak puts out a comparison of the Ambra, Audeo, and Naida. The problem is the chart is wrong or misleading and does not highlight the differences between the three.

I had to call an audi to find out that the Ambra used just a tube and could not use a RIC.

What’s misleading: For the Ambra it shows “Push Button” (for VC or Prog selection), but not for the Audeo or Naida which leads one to believe the button can adjust both volume and memories simultaneously where as for the other two it could only do one or the other.)

for the Ambra is shows UltraZoom premium but for the other two, just UltraZoom but an audi told me they both have Ultrazoom premium also.

Same thing for SoundFlow. Ambra shows SoundFlow premium but the Naida is just SoundFlow and the Audeo doesn’t show SoundFlow at all but an audi told me they both have Premium.

The Ambra and Audeo have “Easy Programs” (whatever that is) but the Naidas do not. i think the Naida do also.

The Ambra has “datalogging+/self learning” but the Audeo and Naida only have “Datalogging+” (not self learning also).

The Audeo does not have "T-coil’ which I believe is accurate but since PhonaK chart lists most of the features in different order it is difficult to discern that without careful study.

The Naida shows “Water Resistant” whereas the other two do not, which is correct for the Audeo, but not the Ambra which does show “NEW microH2O” so I suppose someone could check and determine this meant water resistent, but this is at the top of the list whereas “Water Resistant” is buried in the middle of the Naida list.

Finally there are pictures but they do not appear to be to scale so one can get a sense of the size. I could not find the size info on Phonaks website. An audi called Phonak who told him the Naida S was a size 36, the Naida CRT was size 32 and the Audeo was 22. The picture on the chart makes the Audeo look the same size as the Naida CRT so it’s misleading.

Anyway back to the Ambra, the reason for the recommendation on the RIC was that I seem to be able to hear well enough at low frequencies so a RIC would better allow them to pass through my ear canal than whatever connects tot he end of a tube on an Ambra.

As for the Naida CRT versus Audeo: My hearing loss has become more noticeable over the past few years but I do not know if it has been basically the same or has deteriorated more rapidly and might continue to deteriorate. If it deteriorates significantly more, then the CRT power could be upped by replacing the receiver with a more powerful one whereas I might be out of fitting range with the Audeo.

Here are the differences in a nutshell.

Ambra/Audeo S Smart IX/ Naida IX: Essentially the same hearing aid but with different casing and power outputs and sound delivery methods. So if one has a feature, they all have that feature regardless of the on-line description. The Smart IX is the RIC version of the Ambra. The Naida IX is the power version of the Ambra. (V = Solana, III = Cassia).The one difference I can think of is that the Naida has “bass boost” whereas the others either do not or don’t automatically consider it as an option. It’s a feature that many profound HL individuals benefit from. You would not, given your better LF hearing.

Ambra BTE’s can be used with a standard custom mold and tubing OR a slim-tube, which also allows for low-frequency gain roll-off like a RIC will. That said, I am not a fan of slim-tube fittings for the most part…I find either a RIC or a Standard earmold with a really big vent just sounds better.

size difference: it’s hard to tell when you don’t have them in front of you. I will take a photo and see if I can attach it to this thread.

The memory button: If there is one button it can be configured as a Volume control OR memory button, not both. For this level, it is nearly always configured as a memory button because that’s the only way to access StereoZoom. Otherwise, really why by this level??? If there are two buttons (like on the microP versions of the BTE’s or larger) the volume control is a rocker-style button. The other option is to get a remote control of some kind where you can have both controls if you have a device that only has one button but still want a VC.

You are correct, there is no t-coil in the Smart line. Although I think this might be changing soon…but I’m not 100% on that. I rarely use a t-coil anyway for my patients, I don’t think this should be a make/break point.

Water-resistent HA’s: This is new for Phonak, so far the Naida CRT and mH20 HA’s are the only ones that offer this. I have not fit any yet. I have VERY few issues with moisture with my patients wearing the “older” spice HA’s. VERY FEW.

Fitting Range issue: It is a concern if you wanted to get a smaller Ambra BTE like the micro M or the H20…if you got a microP Ambra you should be well within it’s range for at least the 4-6 year life span average…given any whackado changes. If you’re concerned about it though, getting one that is more powerful is generally a good way to go.

Hope that helps! It’s confusing when you try to do comparison’s between hearing aids.

Hopefully I can post that picture…it’ll be my first time trying to upload a photo and then post it…lol

Okay, so this photo shows the progression from the Audeo S Smart to the Naida UP. I’d say there is about a 10% increase in size when going up to the next level, except from the Smart to the MicroM BTE, that’s about 25-30% bigger.

At the level of the UP the battery changes from a 13 to 675, it might even change at the SP level but I believe that is still a 13 battery. The Smart is a 312. There is also a mini smart (not pictured) which uses a 10 battery and is about 15-20% smaller than the Smart.

Hope that helps a little with judging the size.

Hey, THANKS!

It’s tough when the audis have to do Phonaks job for them. I guess Phonak thinks it is more important to show all the colors they come in without even bothering to identify which is which (and which probably don’t show true on a computer monitor anyway), but I guess color is important for women. I could care less. As I told several audis I might even go with flamingo pink since if they fell out while I was hiking or camping I would have a better chance of finding them.

In your picture, what size is the Naida S CRT closest to?

I had the audeo ix mini. I switched to the naida because I kept sweating and the audeo was shutting off.

I have small ears. I went with the Naida CRT because I have a power receiver. It is bigger than the audeo, but unless I tell them, most people don’t even know I am wearing it. Interestingly, other people are less worried about what your hearing aid looks like than you (or I) are. I do notice the naida, but the audeo actually was able to rattle around behind my ear.

Also, and this is important, the naida has a larger battery… Which means it lasts longer.

As I said in my first post, size is not a top priority for me. When I saw the Audeo Smart I was amazed at how small it was - unfortunately that audi did not have a CRT so I could make an in person visual comparison - in fact the audi had never seen/sold a CRT.

I had the same concern that maybe the Audeo was too small.* I wear glasses with cable temples which I insist on as they hold my glassdes firmly in place. in fact if I had to choose between the cable temples and an HA I’d go without an HA (or go with a CIC and accept that it would block some of my normal hearing).

I also think I like the idea of a larger battery as I believe the stereo zoom features eats them up, although i have no clue as to how often I would use that. I also would be interested in whether the wireless TV link feature chews up battery life.

• I think the next feature an HA manufacturer needs to add is one where it you press your remote the HAs will beep loudly and blink to help you find them if you put them down and forget where.

1/2 way between the microM and microP. No VC on it, just the MB.

Very informative,

Thank you for posting this information.

excellent idea!!
widex has a feature that if one of the aids looses communication (falls out) the other will instantly alarm you to the fact.
I would buy blaze orange if I could… I’m old, fat, married what do I care what they look like if they work.

I am trialing the Audeo and I wear glasses all the time (although no cable) and have no issues. Also, my audeo said that anytime the HAs are streaming that this drains battery life more than if they were in soundflow program. However, I don’t seem to get any better battery life (consistently 5 days).