Are there private audiologists that will assist veterans with their hearing aids?

Have been getting my HA thru VA. Wonderful HA’s, but their ability to properly adjust and service the wearer is terrible. Are there services that will assist Veterans have their HA’s adjusted properly?

Where are you going to the VA at, I haven’t had any issues with hearing aids are service or adjustments. I have used clinics in Dallas, Austin Texas and now in Hot Springs and Little Rock Arkansas. I have to say I have some wonderful Audiologist in all of the 4 clinics. But my 2 favorite are Austin Texas and now my Audiologist here in Hot Springs.

1 Like

My VA is in either Long Beach CA (full facility) or Santa Ana CA (satellite).During covid, appointments have been hard to get. Wait time averages 6 weeks. Not having hearing for 6 weeks hurts. They claim to have a video appointment where they can adjust the HA,s remotely. Have tried just sending e-mails thru their system. 1) Very hard (security) to send an e-mail & 2) it appears that e-mails need to be originated by VA only. Tried to send and never received a response… That’s my experience. For an old guy those hurdles are insurmountable.

Here in Arkansas we didn’t have those issues, it was a pain in the butt to get in the door with all the stupid questions and temperature checks, but once in it was pretty much service as normal. I always email my Audi a week before my appointment so he has time to do any research or make arrangements for help. I use the my health Vet site to do the emails, and always get a reply within 48 hours. My Audi and I did try the remote adjustments once and was not happy with the results, and I ended up having to go in anyway to get the adjustments needed. The clinic in Hot Springs is a smaller clinic that is enlarging quickly due to the large number of Veterans retired in this area. We also never fully shutdown here in Arkansas like some other states. I go in the middle of May for a hearing test and either returning my aids for repairs or getting new replacement aids, my t-coils in my aids having static and the Oticon rep says the aids need to be replaced. As for as my aids being adjusted I have been totally surprised at how they have helped me, but as a person that has always reached for better I hope to hear even better while not thinking it is possible.

1 Like

I’ve had no problem communicating with the Durham VA during covid. Have been able to reach them via phone or Home - My HealtheVet at will. The one adjustment I did need I just drove to the clinic and they came out curbside and took them back inside and made the adjustment and brought them back out to me within 15 minutes. Hope you get it worked out soon. By the way, I use an ID.me sign in, it seems to be much easier for me.

2 Likes

@lgbuck62, @cvkemp: Just for the record: veterans in :canada: Canada can use the https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng website to send secure emails.

I’m not very tech-savvy, but I have few problems navigating the site, and - when I can’t find what I need by my own devices - I call my analyst (used to call them counsellor or advisor IIRC) and they always help me to cut through the red tape.

I find that our people here in the Great Frozen North are always empathetic, and are especially helpful when the veteran’s need is immediate.

This is my experience, anyway …

1 Like

I don’t think you are going to find what you are looking for. Non-VA audiologist/hearing aid fitters charge for their services. Sometimes a lot!. If I were in your shoes, I would contact the head of the audiology services at your VA and let them know your concerns. Someone will address your concerns. If I could not get the service I needed, I would go into my own pocket and just get them adjusted by a private audiologist if the VA could/would not give me the services I needed. I have been fortunate to get excellent audi service from my VA medical center (Dallas). Best wishes…

1 Like

I’ll first admit that I basically know nothing about the VA, but I thought there was a provision to refer to outside providers if VA could not provide the services in a timely fashion. Does this not apply to audiologists? Perhaps this is for physicians only? (That would seem odd)

You can always request ore local service if you live more than 40 miles from the closest clinic. And I believe that there has been an update that allows the patients to request private service, it depending if the patient is on disability or not determines the copayment.

1 Like

Almost No problems in Illinois. Must be California. Maybe pelosi is causing the problem. Just joking. Each center is run differently. First VA I went to the audiologist was drunk Her Boss sent her home. I refused service and went to another facility and had no problems.

1 Like

What time of the day was it?

9 in the morning not even lunch tme

2 Likes

Huh? Your need premium logon to HealtheVet…
I could explain in detail exactly how to escalate your concern but it would just cause a pissing contest on here. Find a patient advocate for your site explain the problem calmly and in detail. Dates of service, AuD, etc.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry you’re having these issues.
I used to go to Santa Ana out of convenience, and had good success until they stopped offering walk-in service.
You can go to Long Beach and get adjustments on a walk in basis, but not in depth programming.
My audi and I regularly communicate via voice, and e-mail. She’s very accessible
I suggest you go into the Long Beach clinic, and ask for the Deptartment Chief (can’t remember her name), but surely, as others have said, you need to take the initiative to escalate the issue.
All that being said, I decided to go the DIY route, and haven’t had to deal with them for the last month.

I went back through my notes and found this:
Amanda Lewis Stephens, M.S., CCC-SLP
Chief of Audiology and Speech Pathology
Tibor Rubin VA Medical Center
Long Beach, California
562.826.8000 x3288
Please note this was 3 years ago, I’m not sure she is still Chief

2 Likes

Under VA rules if an appointment is over 30 days wait time you can request to see an outside Audi under the Community Care network. You could also go to your local VA clinic and ask to talk to the patient Advocate and express your concerns. I have gone to the VA for many years and never had a problem. Have had a couple of different Audi’s and both were great.

If you aren’t happy, express yourself. :slight_smile:

1 Like