Are smartphone apps worth the effort?

Good question. I’ve tried to connect my hearing aid to my iPhone without success, finally calling my audiologist, who said it was compatible with Android only.

Apple uses a proprietary standard, according to the website below. Then there’s Bluetooth and wireless direct. There might be a hack somewhere, somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet.

@czarnowski

What Aids do you have as I’ve never heard of an Aid only working with Android?

1 Like

What aids do you have I haven’t hear of aids that connect only to android

1 Like

Hard to believe we are 23 posts deep with no mention of the aids in question…

2 Likes

@czarnowski. I don’t know what your current hearing aids are or what you have been recommended.
However, I will make a comparison which I hope will be similar.

My old Phonak Naida V90 UP’s have two sets of switches, one (rocker) for volume and the other (button) for program switching/cycling, and there for didn’t need and app to control things.

My New Phonak Naida P90 UP’s however, only have the up/down rocker to change volume and then long press to change programs, a bit annoying. For me, the APP has been awesome, I can make very quick changes to any program I want, or make changes to some program setting that can only be done otherwise with the Target Software. Like narrowing the focus of my hearing when I’m in loud places to better hear the person in front of me; changing the Bass/Mid/Treble to better pick up particular voice characteristics; Switch the hearing aid mics off, so I can better focus on the audio in my Roger On Mic.

Last but not the lease, without direct streaming of phone calls into my new hearing aids, I really struggle to understand any conversation on the phone, telling people to text me don’t ring (in the past).

As in another of my posts, I have had to send my new HA’s in for repair, and I am back struggling and miss all my new functionality that I have with the APP.

That my 2c and only an opinion as a technology geek.

1 Like

For the past 10 years I’ve had hearing aids from America Hears… I selected AH because they offer an at home programming kit, which allows me to adjust programs and settings without having to deal with an audiologist, remotely or in person. I have a severe loss and self-programming has worked incredibly well for me over the years. AH offers identical models in two versions: Android and iPhone, as do many other manufacturers. The iPhone has settings that allow paring with “made for iPhone” hearing aids, but also states there is another route to use Bluetooth to connect to “non-iPhone” aids, which doesn’t seem to work in my case. At any rate, I’m not sure that makes sense as I can’t install an Android app on my iPhone to control my Andriod hearing aid.

1 Like

I thought about AH when I first knew I needed hearing aids but with my loss I was advised not to by AH. I haven’t kept up with AH so didn’t know they do either or. I don’t expect many on here can help you with AH aids. You should contact them for help. If your Android has Android 12 then I expect that is the problem due to it causing issues with most aids

AH has been responsive in the 10 years I’ve been working with them, and I would recommend them. I have a severe loss, and, for me, the ability to self-program is paramount. In response to my question, AH is willing to replace the single Android aid with a “made for iPhone” aid - if I purchase a second "made for iPhone aid. I could do that, but is it worth doing so just for the smartphone capability? It is, of course, up to me to decide, and so many people here have generously responded with their experiences which have been most helpful.

If I wasn’t getting my aids for the VA I might have to try HA again, now that my hearing loss is becoming more of a common loss. Back then I had almost perfect low frequency and high frequency hearing but a almost severe loss from 1500 to 3500 hertz. I was bluntly told that my lose was extremely difficult to fit. I am so glad that I was able to get my aids for the VA. And even though I am a trained electronics tech/engineer, in communications and retired as an IT Professional I have no desire to do my own DIY adjustments to my aids. I learned a long time again to leave it to the professionals in their fields to do what they do best.

1 Like

Here is a list of Android phones that are compatible with their Android aids. Basically they’re ASHA compatible. (at bottom of post)

They do things differently than the Big 5/6 hearing aid companies. All but Sonova tend to have hearing aids that are both Made for iPhone and ASHA compatible. Sonova (Phonak, Unitron use Classic Bluetooth and are compatible with most phones with BT 4.2 or higher. I don’t think there are many forum members who have experience with America Hears.
e3b1a24ef2c33dd4ff35b44fffc63ee4301ed2ab.pdf (69.0 KB)

Bluetooth and direct streaming was life changing for me. I have severe loss, and a long time HA wearer. MFi Hearing aids enabled on Apple’s iPhone and iPad is 100% worth it. Within Apple’s Mfi environment on iPhone / iPad you connect and operate your hearing aids directly without the need for a Manufacture’s App - provided your aid is in fact MFi compatible, something you have to be sure about. The iPhone Mfi is effortless. The connectivity issues you’ve read about, are mostly a result of the compatibility of the 3rd party App from the Hearing aid manufactures - not to be confused with the Mfi built in to your iPhone by Apple.
It sounds as though AH is offering you a huge upgrade, moving to 2 Mfi hearing aids with bluetooth, direct streaming (no auxiliary streamer to wear) and fully compatible with your iPhone. Steaming calls directly to your ears is a unbelievable communications game changer. Why would you not want it?

1 Like

I have used Starkey BT HAs since 2014. They work great with my phone for calls and general streaming. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

That’s interesting. AH states MFi is required to use the Lucid (aka America Hears) App to adjust the hearing aid.

I wear one hearing aid. Even with my loss, I am fortunate to hear fine on my phone and on most phones in the offices I visit without a hearing aid in my right ear, so streaming phone calls is not a necessity. I’m more interested in the smart phone app to allow me to switch programs unobtrusively. In my work I often need to communicate in high noise environments, which involves a directional mike, but at other times I need to hear from all directions. If the app can help me with that, it’s worth considering.

1 Like

Basically AH is saying their “App” requires MFi aka Apple iPhone (not Android) to work. Their “App” is developed for MFi.
iPhone has an accessibility section which includes MFi, which is very, very easy to access unobtrusively once you set it up.
Yes, you can adjust programs, volume, mute, etc easily and you get a visual so you know where you are in the sequences.
No one else knows anything you are doing in this glued to your phone world. :smiley:
I suggest you get a clarification from AH exactly how Lucid works with MFi. I know nothing about Lucid. But, I do know Bluetooth and MFi is wonderful for exactly your circumstances.
Ask the question " Am I able to use the built in iPhone MFi accessibility features once Bluetooth is paired with the aids? Or does Lucid only work thru the Lucid App?"
If you only wear 1 hearing aid, AH is requiring you to buy the second MFi aid and exchange the non Mfi aid for a replacement MFi aid you don’t need. Is that right?

1 Like

@czarnowski

I can’t even find the App on iOS / iPhone but I can find it on Android / Google Play.

At the bottom, it explains what hearing aids work with the App,

Might just want to be aware that the reviews on the App are really bad.

I just checked and couldn’t find anything for AH or Lucid Hearing.

Hear is what I found in Apple App Store

App rated 3.1/5. Number of 1 stars almost as high as 5 stars. Requires iOs 12.4/later.

“The Lucid Hearing app is compatible with all U-series Powered by Lucid hearing aids models as well as Engage, Present and Fio hearing aids.”

WH

It might be better with Apple App Store? On Google Play, the App rating were really bad.

not sure why but I am not finding, on the App Store in my iPhone 13

I searched for Hearing Lab Tech… and it shows up below before I finish typing. Select the whole company name and the app is there. There was a “Sponsored app” unrelated, of course, before the Lucid thingy.

WH