Are ReSound Quattro's sweat proof?

living with either bush fires or blazing sun, i’m left wondering exactly how sweat proof my quattro’s, or any other aids, are.

i often find my aids covered in sweat when i take them off, and the little transparent panels in them are now ‘misted’ up. however, they are working perfectly… but being the pedantic old-fart that i am, i can’t help but wonder.

btw. mine are rechargeable and i’m thinking if it’s worth getting some little silica gel packs to put in the charger with the aids overnight?

any thoughts, suggestions welcome*

*i know you can get dehumidifiers of various descriptions, but they’re better suited to battery aids for overnight storage…

THe Quattro will take a small dessicant pack in the well of the recharging case.

Thanks for the response. I’ve just dropped in one of those 1 gm packets they use in medicine jars and have ordered some 2 gm over the net. Well see how they do.

Again thanks.

Also, if you don’t mind spending $$$, you can get a customized DryMax device (~$115 in U.S.). After an ear infection, I decided that I’d briefly UV treat my HA’s after cleaning before insertion for the day. But I didn’t like it that the Dry and Store UV Max heats the HA’s to 96 to 104 deg F when used at a room temperature of about 70 deg F. Not good for my Li-ion-powered Quattro 961’s. So I contacted Ear Technology, the parent company of Dry and Store, and they provided a customized device at the same price as their standard device with the heating essentially turned off. At 70 deg F, the temperature inside the device will be 77 to 81 deg F (the fan still runs to circulate air over the HA’s and dessicant). My reason for UV’ing my HA’s is that if I’m working on curing my ear canal infection, I didn’t want to re-inoculate my ears every day via my HA’s and I didn’t want to transfer anything from one receiver to another. I also now clean the sides of my silicone custom molds each day with an alcohol wipe before letting them dry and then UV’ing them before insertion. I also then wipe the middle bay of my Quattro charger, where the receivers go when the devices are charging, with the alcohol wipe, too, to disinfect the charger bay. It’s probably all overkill, just keeping the elephants away.

I had the Quattro rechargeables. I work in a steel mill as an electrician. I had one die due to moisture. One was dying when I decided to go to Phonak.
So moisture can be an issue.

Thanks Jim. Hope your ear infection clears up asap.

Efi - you reckon phonak are more water resistant? Which ones did you opt for?

I got the Audeo Marvel RT 90.

So far, so good. I got the custom embedded titanium receivers. These are by far superior to acrylic for comfort and strength.

1 Like

I had to send off one last year for sweat ingress, as was cleaning cars, almost sounded like a drip went in and left one went silent. just a few weeks ago, left one lost power its not totally gone but very quiet, and it seems the 3 mic openings are easily blocked or mics damaged, never had anything like this before with custom in ITE ones.

I’ve been wearing my quattros for almost 2 yrs now in Fla. and haven’t had a problem with sweat and I play a lot of outdoor sports, in fact it’s the 1st HA that I haven’t experienced a sweat problem. In the past with other brands of HA’s I have worn a sleeve over the HA which solved the problem of the HA turning off because of sweat, here is a link to the site for the nylon sleeves Ear Gear Hearing Instrument Covers | Ear Gear

1 Like

We never got anything back from Resound to say was sweat/water but assumed so, as it was it looked like they replaced whole thing and not did a repair. Will see what get back this time.
I do have those ear gear things, bought for holiday by pool etc splashes, will when get left one back will put on all the time!

They are…to a point.

I was working as an electrician in a steel mill. It was a harsh environment. The BTE Quattros hold up better. The receivers for the Ric units are vulnerable to moisture.

So far, these BTE units have held up. I had a weird issue with one set and had them replaced. Since then, all seems ok.

Now that I am not working in a steel mill, I expect durability will not be an issue.

If the possibility bothers you, get the sleeves for the hearing aids.

So I have been having issues with my Quattros for the last couple of months. Seemed like the sound was cutting in and out at various times. Finally got to my audiologist and she confirm that there is an issue that she could not correct so the aids have been sent in for repair. She mentioned she has had a few similar cases this summer and thought it might be related to the excessive heat and resulting sweat (in the NE). The loaners she gave me work perfectly tho.

I’ve sent in 3 left Quattro’s for issues with external mics. Each time I got back a whole new HA and, if I recall correctly, in speaking to a ReSound HA support person on their 1-800 line, the guy told me that they typically don’t replace components. It’s just easier to replace the whole HA. Each time that I’ve sent in an HA, I’ve requested a report on what went wrong. The last time I specifically requested the audi to send in a “deep analysis” request (or something like that). Each time ReSound has provided no reply as to what was wrong with the HA - maybe my audi is not a good enough ReSound customer to merit that sort of attention but if it were really true as David Owen suggests in his book Volume Control that it actually costs less than $100 to make a hearing aid, one could see that it would not be worth the labor cost to analyze what went wrong with it - although one would think for building a better mousetrap for the future that HA failures ought to be analyzed somewhere down the line - maybe it’s just the logistics (and bad publicity?) of reporting back to the customer that’s not worth the effort involved?

2 Likes

@jim_lewis, interesting that you mention the external mic issues, I was suspecting my issue was also mic related since when I used my mini-mic, it seemed like the sound was working correctly.This is the 2nd time my Quattros have been in for repair,

Got my HA’s back, Audiologist said that the report said that had been completely refurbished but I’d assume that these are just new aids as you indicated, either way they work now , so that is cool for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back in the late 80s, I toured a manufacturer’s facility. My tour guide stepped out of his office. Left exposed on his desk was a cost sheet. Back then, their analog aids cost them a little under $100 in parts. Generally, the parts are cheap. The R&D is the expensive part.

1 Like

Not waterproof per my Audy. Bummer because the Phonak M90 are IPS67 rated.
I may return the Resound in favor for the new Phonak Paradise p90

IP68 does not mean a device with that rating is “waterproof.” It just means that the device has passed the official IP68 test, which is a relatively static immersion test at a shallow depth. If you took an IP68-rated device into the shower with you, dove into a swimming pool with it, or were out in a heavy, driving rain, it might not survive. “Water-resistant” is the right word and you get more water resistance with an IP68-rated device than one with a lower rating.

ReSound Quattro’s actually have a resistance rating of IP58. That means that, technically, they are just as water-resistant as Phonak Paradise hearing aids if that device’s rating is IP68. That’s because the “8” is for the water resistance test. The “5” and “6” are for a dust resistance test. A Quattro with a rating of “5” for dust resistance passed a less demanding test than a device with a “6” rating and if the Paradise has that rating, it’s going to be more dust resistant than a Quattro. Ask your audi if the Phonak Paradise is “waterproof.” If he/she is an honest audi, that person is going to have to say, “No!”

1 Like

Devices backed by an international standard rating of IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.
Phonak has this rating on the spec sheet for both Marvel m90 and Paradise p90. My Audy says dust, sweat and rain resistant , my experience with the m90 with both rain and perspiration validates this rating for ME.

Resound Quattro I couldn’t find any moisture resistant rating, and judging by the thread found in this site on the topic, they more often than not fail with sweat. My experience yesterday getting caught in the rain , they both had moisture/drops on the outer case , one specifically took a drop in the mic as it started to squeal with a high pitch.

I’m not having success tracking if the new Resound ONE has improved its moisture resistance.

I’m only commenting on your statement that Quattro’s are not “waterproof” and saying that Phonak are not “waterproof” (and neither is any other HA that I know of). That’s all. Apart from whether ReSound Quattro’s are waterproof, sweatproof, or whatever, as I’ve commented elsewhere, they might have a bigger problem just with quality control. I’ve had three left HA’s go out on high-frequency response (and after the first, I was careful to never really sweat while wearing them, so I’m pretty sure it’s just a reliability issue, if anything more likely related to the dust, dirt, or dandruff-proofness of the device!). ReSound promptly replaced each and every one of them, probably with an entirely brand new HA body. But aside from reliability issues, I like the sound very much and I like the forward-looking aspect of the company, pioneering MFi with Apple and ASHA with Google and the very thoughtful and useful smartphone app, Smart 3D, which seemed to be the best of all smartphone apps at the time I was looking for HA’s (Aug->Oct, 2018). The fitting software (Smart Fit v1.8 now) is also an impressive piece of work and I like ReSound’s Audiology Online courses on fitting (but then I haven’t tried other brands’ fitting software so I might be ignorant of what I’m missing here - but I don’t need frequency lowering (yet!), for example). So it will be interesting to see what Phonak and ReSound do with BT LE Audio. If Phonak sticks to trying to build a walled garden with its version of Classic BT and ReSound forges ahead with BT LE Audio, I’m afraid I’ll just ignore Phonak on into the future.

I also can’t see paying the kinda prices that Phonak likes to charge for Roger devices and I don’t like playing roulette buying someone’s already used Roger device on eBay. And if my hearing and lifestyle stay the way they are, I don’t have such pressing hearing needs that I absolutely need the very, very best technology there is. I might buy my next HA’s at Costco but, unfortunately, Costco typically locks ReSound HA’s wrt fitting so TruHearing.com and my existing audi, who says she’ll fit me for any brand I want, may be the future purchase option I’ll want to follow forever.