Are digital hearing aid REALLY better?

Are digital hearing aid really better? I have a hard time believing whether the digital revolution is just a marketing hype or if it really is better.

Anyone who have used both Digital and Analog hearing aids… please share.

My analogs are over 7 years old and need replacing, but I need to make sure digital will be worth it.

Digital hearing aids are generally much better and the satisfaction ratings have improved dramatically over analogs.

The only drawback is that they cost more.

Yet, keep in mind that unlike analog hearing aids, many digital hearing aids can reduce background noise, you can change the prescription inside the hearing aid when your hearing changes, many incorporate multiple memories so you can fine tune the instrument for each individual situation, etc.

In my opinion, today’s digital hearing aids are waaaaay better than analogs in almost every area.

Let me start by saying I have worn aids for 25 of my 43 years. I started with 1 analog aids and have graduated to 2 digital cic aids. Let me say binaural helps and digital gave me more clarity and understanding than ever before.
What I am learning now is I should have could, have been wearing better aids these last 6 years. I thought I had great ones but am finding out there is better out there.
The features they offer in digital are nice and help understanding in more settings better than my old analoges. If you have a choice and the money I would always choose digital over analog.

I have been wearing analog hearing aids for 28 years. I have been wearing this digital hearing aids for 2 months. I like it so far since I hear better than analog hearing aid. I would chose the digital hearing aid and I heard that analog hearing aids might not be in the market very long. It might be still here next few years and then it will be all digital hearing aids in the market. The bad thing is it cost more. When I get next digital hearing aid next 5 to 7 years, I have a second saving account to put in for next hearing aids.

Well they are better cause unlike analogue hearing aid it doesn’t seat idle :smiley:

I have been using hearing aids 10 years, i started with one very expensice ITE and then had a digital siemens infiniti and then I was on a budget and needed cheaper hearing aids, so I tried analog, one Beltone, One Starkey, a pair of cheap Siemens analog, and I was quite happy with them. At the time I had a very recluse work, mostly at home and was not in very demanding environment. In those cases, and if your loos is linear and not very profound an analog hearing aid can save a lot of money. A few months ago I took a new job with lots of noises and people around me, and the analogs drove me crazy, so I switched to digital. I am now using a pair of Triano (bought used on ebay, I still dont have thousands of dollars, they cost me the pair less than 500$) and they do the job quite well. I hear most everything and do not feel too tired at night or pain in the ear (which is what happened with analogs when there was a need for more volume).

My conclusion is that analog can work well with some people and save you load of $$$, for example if you live alone and watch TV and you are the one who make your own noises, or not very demanding situations.

In my experience with digital, although it looks like very High Tech, you need a very good audiologist with golden hands to really program the aids to your needs. The audiologist should also have good ears and should know how to listen and understand your complain and demands. It’s not that simple, I had one aid that was set right after the tenth time it was programmed, the main audiologist wasn’t at the office and another one programmed it and OP the miracle happened!

I’ve worn analog BTE hearing aids for nearly 30+ years, and recently (2+ years ago) switched to digital hearing aids for ONE primary reason - Digital hearing aids can suppress feedback, where analogs cannot. It’s really an issue for those who have a very profound loss, like me, and no amount of “tight” earmolds will eliminate feedback with comes with a high power analog hearing aid. My family and friends really appreciate my switching to digital hearing aids.

As you’ll note in my signature, my CI will soon be activated and feedback in that ear will be history.

Guess it depends on your circumstances, including shape of hearing loss. A flat loss can tolerate analogue aids better, losses with 60 db gaps between best and worst hearing are a nightmare with analogue as you try to split the difference between best and worst frequencies. Digital can be a problem for aid agencies fitting hundreds of aids to children in areas where there will be no opportunities for retuning, you can take three buckets of analogues in moderate, severe and profound and get them all fitted quickly so you can see more children. We are blessed with time, access to facilities and, to the greater extent, money in the developed world. There is no better or worse, just appropriate or less appropriate.

Are digital aids really better than analog aids? Not necessarily. I wore analog aids for 25 years, switched to digital aids 4 years ago, but switched back to analog aids because I was so dissatisfied with the performance of the digital aids. Although I could understand speech slightely better with the digital aids, they were constantly breaking down which required expensive repairs. And their battery life was unacceptably short. And they were very susceptible to wind noise which made them unwearable outdoors. So I relegated my $3000 pair of Phonak Xtra digital aids to backup status and now use a $300 pair of Acoustitone Pro analog aids as my primary aids because they are more robust and reliable, have superior battery life and can be worn comfortably outdoors because they are much less vulnwerable to wind noise. Digital aids have been oversold by zealous audiologists who have dollar signs in their eyes. Gerald .

bwaylimited, Pasinati is a spambot. No use replying there.

As some others have mentioned, digital aids tend to function much better for patients with sharp drop-offs or severe losses. As the aids get more advanced we are seeing more and more devices capable of the quality of sound that analog users are looking for as well as the adaptability that made digital aids desirable in the first place.

I’ve had several hard core analog fans try my aids. In quiet they either don’t notice a difference or prefer their old devices. Then I take them over to the registers and the cafe (I work in Sam’s Club) where there are fifty to a hundred people talking and banging carts around - and there is a difference.

It’s kind of ironic that you are (presumably) using a digital computer on the Internet to talk about whether digital technology is just marketing hype.

How about you seek out some footage of an analog TV from the 1950s, and then wander down to Best Buy and look at a 80" HD LED playing a Bluray of a movie rendered entirely with digital computers. Then tell us what you think of analog versus digital.

Since I qualified in 1994 I have watched the digital revolution impact my industry and I can state unequivocally that digital technology has made what was impossible in the 90s, possible today. We can reach hearing loss and process sound in a way that was never possible before.

However, there is an important qualifier here. The word digital covers a multitude of sins, just like you can talk about a gasoline powered vehicle and ask if they are any good. Some are, some are not. Same with hearing aids. Digital does not automatically make them good, but the right digital aid programmed correctly will wipe the floor with any analog aid.

mac,

a quick scan of the forum topics would have shown a whole section full of posts dedicated to this topic.