Apple Watch for additional hearing benefits?

When I added my comment I said to myself this is going to turn into an apple vs Android tug of war which really defeats the purpose of this forum . They both work fine

2 Likes

I was dragged kicking, muttering into the iwatch 6 camp.

Fitbit long ago. It burnt me and I got a rash. Generously they recalled it and gave me my money back.
I’ve had microsoft bands for a while. Then a couple of Garmin vivoactive watch models.

All this time I wondered if I was unhealthy Was my pulse too high or too low? Night? Day? What was my blood oxygen level? Yes I have a 30$ thing I can put on my finger. But what happens at night? What about my ECG? You’re right. Didn’t have anything I could use for that.

Now I’ve had the iWatch 6 for several weeks I have a couple of apps that make it work better for me. I’ve cancelled Fit+ or whatever before I start paying a monthly fee.

Bigest change…my mindset is on wellness now. It’s not preoccupied with dis-ease. I like the Breathe app on the watch. It helps me relax.

There are advantages with each of the smart wartches. I’m glad I bought an i6. Even if it costs too much.

DaveL

2 Likes

Thank you all for the excellent feedback.

Yes, my intention on starting this forum was to see if there were any additional benefits of upgrading to a “smarter” watch over my current Fitbit Alta HR, with respect to hearing assistance. I pick the Apple watch only because I have an iphone. From what I gather, the only additional hearing assistance would be the haptic alarm clock?

Hopfully in the near future, I’ll be upgrading my Phonak Naida to the Paradise, but I don’t beleive there any direct connectivity for it (not made for Iphone)?

When the OP asked what additional benefits might you get from an Apple Watch for hearing benefits, that is essentially asking for a comparison. And many apps (that you can run on an Apple Watch) have a hearing and/or vibration alert functionality. One disadvantage of an Apple Watch (compared to other Apple devices) is that it does not have MFi functionality in terms of a BT LE connection. It cannot be directly paired with your HA’s even if they are BT LE MFi HA’s but has to act through your iPhone. But I’d say that you get the most additional benefits if you have a MFi brand of HA, which unfortunately doesn’t include Phonak at the moment but does include almost all the other major HA OEMs.

Android vs. iOS makes a big difference then for most major brands of HA’s, except possibly Phonak, but at least with Apple even with Phonak, you can presently count on having your phone and watch probably being supported a lot longer than by Google or Samsung. Apple is putting pressure on these guys to move in the same direction. What’s different between Android and iOS and devices that run under either OS is an important point of comparison and discussion if you want to get the most utility out of your HA’s and want to spend your money wisely.

1 Like

Thanks Jim_Lewis!

At work there are two camps…Apple and Others. At one point we were to receive tablets for daily use while on the road. The Android camp bought us all Samsung tablets. It suited them. Mine is still in its box and its years later.
Along the way everyone else got iPads…except I already had my Samsung so no deal for me.

Time flies. We have iPhones–8’s if I remember right. They are supplied. And that’s a good deal. Except the Android camp still praise their chosen phones. And each has an android phone as a personal choice.

Prior to the iPhones we had Blackberry phones. RIP.

This is a wonderful environment to learn in. I find this forum and it’s participants to be of great value.

Dave
Toronto

1 Like

Likely, I should post my query/problem elsewhere, but this thread seems vaguely appropriate. Please bear with me if you think it’s not.

My problem with the Apple Watch is that the watch appears to have “stolen” the alerts I used to get in my hearing aids. I’d like them back. I prefer to have an audible alert to a vague, faint buzz on my wrist. Is there any work around? I’ve yet to find it.

For the record, I’ve got an Apple Watch 3, iPhone 12 mini, and Phonak Marvel HAs. In olden days, i.e. before the Apple Watch, when someone texted me, I’d get a little audible beep in my HAs. Once I got the watch, the audible beep went away. I’m not thrilled, but likely can cope if I must.

@lgpiper: Yes that is a fact, and personally I love it. I don’t like the alerts and notifications in my hearing aids but I do like that my watch will vibrate when an alert or notifications comes in. I don’t have to look at my phone or hearing irritated ringing in my ear when watching TV or being a meeting or service.

1 Like

@lgpiper this happens to me when my iPhone is on silent, it won’t ring in my ears but will still vibrate my watch.

Have you put your phone on silent my mistake?

1 Like

If you run your Apple Watch in Airplane Mode and have “Always Hearing Devices” for both phone and media routing in Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing, ~all notifications will sound in your HA’s. If you launch the Watch app on your iPhone, in Settings, go to a particular app and you can change the notification settings for that app from “Mirror iPhone” (the default, I think) to Custom and adjust watch notifications for a particular app relative to the Apple Watch. If under the Custom option in the Watch app, you check Notification OFF for the Message app, then, even with the watch out of Airplane Mode, BT on, notification for Messages will sound in your HA’s with the media routing settings of Always Hearing Devices. Just tested it with my wife texting me, probably via an iMessage, on her iPhone to mine. I presume regular texts from Android users, etc., will work the same way.

1 Like

I’m running IOS Beta software on both my watch and phone and I am receiving alerts

1 Like

How do you keep it charged if wearing it that much?? This is the one downside keeping me from an Apple Watch is the amount of time I would have to be without it while charging.

For me I charge my watch while showering and shaving, I also will charge it while at my desk on the computer. The watch chargers quickly and normally no need to wait for it to fully charge.

2 Likes

I just put mine on the charger while I sleep, same as my phone and iPad. Never have had a battery problem. If I sometimes forget, still no problem. I can always get at least two days of charge out of it and sometimes 3.

Same, though I don’t think I could go two full days (too many complications enabled on my watch face of choice, but I like it that way). Apple Watch has really good battery life, to the point that it’s a non-issue for me.

I have a cheap stand from Amazon that sits on my bed table, it holds my phone and cord and it holds the watch charger disk. I plug in my phone, lay the watch on the disk, and everything is charged and ready in the morning.

My nephew and I have discussed battery life because he wears his watch to bed as a sleep tracker. He puts it on the charger when he gets up and it is charged by the time he’s finished showering and shaving.

OMOTON 2 in 1 Universal Desktop Stand Holder for iPhone and Apple Watch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071KWF6RT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G5VY2E675VMNJT5DZR3A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

My watch is my alarm clock so I wear to bed. It vibrates to wake me, no sound to disturb my wife.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies, all. I figured someone on this forum was nerdy enough to get details straight.

So, I just want text message alerts in my ears. I only get texts from my kids or the InstaCart shopper [I have no friends]. Thus, the alerts are infrequent, but important when they do come through.

Based on the help above, I’ve set the message notifications in the watch app to “Custom” alerts and have them “Sent to the Notification Center”. That way, I get the sound in my ears, but can, if I so desire, read the message on my watch. But, I don’t get a buzz. I wouldn’t mind both a tone and a buzz, but I’ll cope. :wink:

2 Likes

Considering Apple watch. FYI here is website of cardiologist who is into tech and blogs about home tech monitoring devices and pros/cons of apple or other smart phone devices as monitors versus stand alone dedicated devices. https://theskepticalcardiologist.com/category/medicalfitness-devices/

From what I have read of him and elsewhere … apple watch provides information in a number of categories but its accuracy/validity and reliability (test-retest agreement of measurements in short period of time) might not be all that it is cracked up to be. I am not medically trained nor offering medical advice. For myself if I am monitoring any health parameter and relying on it heavily to make decisions then I am researching what instrument has an appropriate level of validity and reliability ofr my own particular needs.
I don’t have link to research article that evaluated several different brands of finger tip Oximeters to measure blood oxygen levels and compared those to the “gold standard” used in critical situations - the results were pretty sobering, and for me led to using readings only to look at any trends and as a potential early warning system. Reading the research on what is really involved in accurately measuring blood oxygen and the challenges for any tech to do it accurately was eye opening; it isn’t a trivial challenge.

A crude analogy is like having a tire pressure gauge that gives read outs to 0.1 decimal units, but is in reality is only accurate to + or - 1 PSI of tire pressure. It seems that smartphone health tracking might be promising and improving but might best be used with good understanding of its limitations.

And I acknowledge that thread is about hearing benefits, and the health monitoring while touched upon in this thread is NOT the focus.

EDIT 12.10.21 link to one of many research articles on accuracy of home Oximeters
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34489238/ Probably an even better article is this one How Accurate Are Pulse Oximeters Labeled Not For Medical Use? – The Skeptical Cardiologist

1 Like

Perhaps one could consider this a HA wearing benefit - since removing a mask while wearing HA’s for Apple’s Face ID is bothersome.

A problem with using Apple’s FACE ID to unlock your iPhone prior to iOS 15 is that wearing a mask for COVID protection louses up Face ID and you either have to remove your mask or key in your unlock code, which is not so nice in public with security cameras everywhere, etc. In iOS 15, Apple supposedly fixed that to allow you to train Face ID to recognize yourself with a mask on. But even more convenient, if you give permission in iOS(on iPhone, Settings, Face ID & Passcode, turn on the setting down under Unlock with Apple Watch), you can use your Apple Watch being on and secured by its unlock code being accepted to thereafter unlock your iPhone without Face ID when your iPhone is in proximity to your Apple Watch (BT has to be on on both devices). Each time your iPhone is unlocked, your watch gets a notification allowing you to immediately lock your phone through the watch if it’s not you who’s bringing the iPhone near your watch when you are wearing it. The only time your watch should be unlocked is when you’re wearing it. It’s always locked when not being worn and will remain locked until you enter your security code while wearing the watch. So with that, I no longer have to worry about mask, HA’s, and Face ID while wanting to check my electronic shopping list while grocery shopping, etc. (I still wear a mask when going to indoor public places, being almost 76 and presumably having an ever-weakening immune system with (hopefully) ever increasing age). Presumably the unlock security could be short-circuited if you wore your unlocked Apple Watch while sleeping and someone in your household brings your iPhone near you while you’re asleep but if that’s a concern in your household, you have more domestic problems than the security of your iPhone … One might always wear the Apple Watch locked while sleeping, etc., if one is worried about such scenarios, etc.

Edit_Update: I should have noted that iOS 15 offers an additional protection against someone just bringing your iPhone near you for Face ID. In the Face ID settings there’s a “Require Paying Attention” setting so with just Face ID in force, if your face, by direction and movement of eyeballs, etc., detects whether you are actually intentionally staring at your phone screen. You can test it by trying to unlock your iPhone with Face ID with your eyes closed, then, before opening your eyes, put one hand over your face with your fingers slightly spread apart. You should see that your iPhone is requiring you to enter the Unlock Code as Face ID never got a clear view of your whole face paying attention. If you run the same test with your Apple Watch being unlocked, just the watch being near you is enough to unlock your iPhone. Doesn’t matter if your eyes are closed, you’re wearing a mask, etc. I guess if you wanted San Quentin security, you could just put your Apple Watch on again before going to bed without unlocking it on your wrist (don’t know if that messes up any health monitoring functionality, though).

2 Likes

How many friggin devices do we need in order to monitor ourselves 24/7 to learn…what we already experience, if we just pay attention to our bodies?

Look, I like Apple’s “fall” feature. I can understand wanting to know one’s HR, but as an atrial fibrillation alum I can state unequivocally that the watch sucks in this area. You need a dedicated device for such important info (“am I in afib?”). Everything else? I already have my HA app telling me about my settings. All the rest? Unnecessary, obsessive, and alienating.

One needs to check in with one’s body all the time, true. Doing it through often incorrect algorithms just keeps you immersed in abstractions. Come on. We are our bodies. Familiarize yourself with it on its own terms—not on Apple’s.

Know your body as a body, not as a “smart watch”.

2 Likes

There are s many things that my watch provides me. So I will never use it even though I understand your views.

3 Likes