Apple Watch for additional hearing benefits?

I currently have an old Fitbit watch that I’m going to need to replace soon. This watch has been very beneficial to me with the feature of buzzing notification for calls & text.

Just wondering for anyone out there with an Apple watch? Has there been additional benefits with this brand for hearing loss?

I have the Apple Watch and find it a great companion. I use it to see most of.my notifications. I can see my emais, and who is calling. Also the Alarm wakes me without designing my wife. The vibrations works great. I don’t have the cell version and don’t use the audio from the watch.

1 Like

Great if you have an iPhone. But there are plenty of smartwatches and bands that do that too

1 Like

The ability to control the HA’s from the watch comes in handy.

Loud noise notifications are important to me since I try to be careful not to end up in loud environments that could make my hearing worse. The noise tracking can be insightful…

And yes, vibration alarm and overal notifications via the haptics are good…

If you don’t have an iPhone there probably is no point in having an Apple Watch.

4 Likes

My wife has the Samsung phone and watch and the compo works about the same for her.

1 Like

Yes, I do have an Iphone. I’m currently using a Fitbit Altra HR, but wonder if it would be worth the additonal cost to upgrade to the Apple watch? So far the only difference I see would be the ability to read emails and possibly more hepatic feedback?

I dont have a recent Fitbit… The one I had was the Alta HR and did have heart rate tracking but as I remember there was no real tie to other health benefits beyond the walking and steps model

If you are referring to benefits beyond the hearing benefits (and loud noise notifications), the Apple Watch does a very good job at connecting the health data it collects and put it in broader context with your overall health. It’s a good exercise motivator and a fair extension of your phone’s capabilities including texting, email, browsing and all sorts of notifications… you can track directions with it, play music, keep track of to-do lists…. It can be a cellular phone and many other things.

Samsung’s watch is similar in capability…

In terms of downsides I will say that the Alta HR’s battery lasted many days and that was a big benefit since the Apple Watch battery needs to be charged daily.

@jbender4, I ditto what cvkemp stated. I find my Apple Watch so helpful with my hearing loss. Each morning, my HAs go in & my watch goes on.

3 Likes

With my Jabra (Resound One) HA’s its great to change volume and programs from the watch. Comes up instantly and easy to use.

I currently have the Series 3 Apple Watch which I’ve had about 2 1/2 years. I actually use it more than my phone (iPhone 6s). It’s great for quick phone calls, I live by the reminders and timers, it’s great for exercise/fitness, easy to text and check email. It integrates with many fitness apps on the phone (I indoor row and cycle) and keeps a record of it all.

I had the original one for about 3 years, and it got me hooked :slight_smile:

If the new model somehow does blood pressure, I might upgrade to it as older ones are easy to sell at a good price.

2 Likes

Can you actually text from the watch? That’ll be good if you can. I may be tempted.

1 Like

I text by voice. You and also spell the words out on the screen, and when I played around with it, it worked surprisingly well. But for me just speaking it in and tapping send is easier.

4 Likes

You can text and as well as dictate your text messages. Your phone has to be nearby, though not necessarily accessible, unless you get a watch with cellular service. The most fun “feature” is answering the phone with your watch. Think of channeling Dick Tracy. Frequently my phone is in another part of the house and when it rings I pick up on my watch. What I find remarkable is that the callers report that my voice sounds normal when I speak into the watch. They were less impressed with calls that use hearing aid microphones to transmit voice on phone calls. Realistically, a Series 3 Apple watch which is still being sold costs about the same or less than a Fitbit Smartwatch… The 38mm can be had for $169 and the 42mm for under $200; I replaced my husband’s 42mm for $179 during a sale.
If you already have an iPhone, the watch is a great companion.
I also own a Fitbit Tracker from my pre Apple Watch days which I use to track my sleep.

2 Likes

The Apple Watch will connect through my iPhone to my Dexcom for a near real time blood glucose reading - right on the face of the watch. I can glance at the watch while driving which is a godsend. I wear it 24/7, taking it off only for a shower. It gives step tracking and sleep monitoring like the Fitbit. I see myriad other things; weather, messages, time, etc. Best of all, my granddaughters love to tap the face to let Mickey or Minnie Mouse
speak the time.

3 Likes

As Fig says, you can basically run ~the entire ReSound Smart 3D smartphone app on an Apple Watch (the app on the watch is snappier if you turn off the WATCH Sound Enhancer functionality in the smartphone version of the 3D app-the Sound Enhancer remains on for the app running on the iPhone).

If you do stuff like always have the watch face always on, run watch Wi-Fi and BT all the time, use the watch constantly to check things, by Apple’s own estimation, you’ll only get about 18 hours of battery life. OTH, if you do as I do, run most of the time in Airplane Mode, run with the screen always off (a tap reveals the screen), and don’t constantly check the screen (because you have better things to do), you can get 2 days out of a charge. As an experiment to see how long I can make the watch last, I recharge the watch when the charge drops 10% to 15% (it charges magnetically). So about 1 year into owning it, it still reports 100% battery capacity (I try never to charge it higher than 57% but if goes to 60% or 65%, I don’t fret). Perhaps to truly assess remaining battery capacity, I’ll need to go through an ~full discharge/full recharge cycle. But I hope to see if my $400 watch will last 6 years (there’s no way to replace the battery).

I only sprung for an aluminum case and Corning glass crystal. The stainless steel case and sapphire crystal seemed like a pricey gamble. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how durable the watch is. I’ve whacked it and dropped it a couple of times and it still looks great and unmarred, amazingly. Apple does warn, though, that abuse can cause the watch to lose its water resistance.

I also like the AutoSleep and HeartWatch apps sold by Tantsissa. They piggyback on top of the Apple Health functionality built into the Apple Watch and provide useful, informative and motivating information about my sleep and exercise habits.

3 Likes

I also am a fan of the Heartwatch app, great little motivator for me. I charge my 2 1/2 year old Series 3 every other night. After two days it’s usually around 25-30%. That is with normal use throughout the day and an hour of exercise. I do nothing special as far as the charge cycle, I bought the watch to use so I just use it. It’s banged around and frankly I’m suprised at the durability of it. it still looks and works like new.

I have mild high blood pressure and check it a couple of times a day. ( and log it in the Heartwatch app) If the leak is true that the new version of the watch will be able to check blood pressure, I will throw more money at Apple :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will echo all the others as to the benefits of the Apple Watch. But, in my case we went with the Apple Watch 4 because of the fall sos feature. Haven’t had to use that call feature yet but it has went off a couple of times due to falls. That feature is now available in the less expensive SE model. For the extra bucks between the 3 and the SE I would definitely go with the SE.

Apple is a little too controlling for me. I prefer the openees of Android and have never had a problem with Samsung. Knock on wood. But like hearing aids that’s my own personal opinion

On the Android v apple front, IMHO they are both advanced to the point of being equally good at whatever you need. So as you noted, it’s completely personal preference.

OK the apple watch side though, I have wanted one for years, and debated tor he point that my wife doesn’t want to hear me say those words together anymore :grin::rofl:. Now I have even more clever use for one and it still comes down to the fact that I haven’t worn a watch in decades :man_facepalming:

I have brand new Phonak P90R’s and a brand new apple watch. a 6. iWatch is an 8.

I’ll have to learn how to use them together better.

DaveL
Toronto

That might be very likely true at the phone level. Apple has gotten a lot of its phone technology, e.g., screens, from Samsung in the past (and Samsung has in times past shamelessly copied the iPhone interface!). I’ve been a mostly Samsung smartphone user since 2003 or thereabouts (Palm handheld user before that). But the split between Google and Samsung over watch OS’s and not having a watch that can share and efficiently use (dumbed down) versions of phone apps has really put them behind Apple, which most reviewers agree has a well-thought out, well-implemented (walled!) ecosystem. And importantly, hearing devices are deeply integrated into iOS. So Phonak has other ideas and it would be good for the hearing aid world not to be dominated by Apple. But I think the ball is in Google and Samsung’s court to really do a lot more useful things with Wear OS than having been going on in the Android ecosystem recently. Google has the corresponding problem that it owns Fitbit, so I would imagine the better it makes Wear OS interoperate with Android the greater risk that it steals customers from another branch of its company rather than from Apple. Apple’s main liability, IMHO, is the relative battery life of an Apple Watch compared to a Samsung Galaxy Watch or Fitbit. The Apple Watch interface, IMHO, is far superior to the interface on my now ancient Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier watch, too. Hopefully, there’ll be lots of competition benefiting consumers!

1 Like