Apple AirPods Max or Pro let you add your Audiogram…then correct for it

Noise reduction and speech enhancement, not to mention auto sensing. AirPods are my lifeline right now as I can’t get in to Costco until next Saturday, but they are absolutely hearing amplifiers more than they are hearing aids, even with an audiogram import. Background noise is terrible with them.

1 Like

Airpods or Airpods pro? You’d think the Pro might be better for background noise. I don’t know if this has been mentioned but they give you the same correction to each ear. Would work best with symmetrical hearing loss.

Airpods Pro. I feel like Daredevil with them in. Yes, I can make out speech with them that I can’t follow without, but everything else is amplified as well. I’m eagerly awaiting my appointment at Costco!!

AirPods are a style icon and a desirable status symbol (as well as being very good at what they are). Having an Apple product that treats hearing loss could remove barriers to adopting ‘hearing aids’. After all some people want invisible hearing aids so no-one knows they have a loss. They’d also be well integrated with other (Apple) consumer tech. Similarly with Google’s R&D project.

1 Like

Hi!

Hi!

Please checkout the new version of iHearIt!
There are new features to fine tune the sliders with the +/- buttons or even enter the values via number pad.

Kind regards! :slightly_smiling_face::v:

:slightly_smiling_face: And yes, it’s also possible to equalize/tweak the frequency response of AirPods Max/Pro. :headphones::loud_sound:

2 Likes

$4.99 for an app with three reviews? Hmm…
EDITING:
this is pretty nice! I rolled the dice and decided to give it a shot. I would appreciate the ability to adjust on the fly with sound, kind of like how you can hit “play sample” to see how audiogram/balanced tone/vocal range/brightness works.
Additionally, I was able to add in additional steps which the Mimi app had left out. I think I had three additional frequencies that were missing from Mimi but that I had from my Costco audiogram… I know 750 wasn’t there, and I added at least two more. Very worthwhile for us cookie biters.

2 Likes

It does one very good thing that you can’t really do with any other app - manually create an audiogram that the Apple Health app can use, which then lets you use the AirPodsMax with your hearing curve when listening with an iPhone utilizing Headphone Accommodations… Which makes for perfect, customized audio tweaked just for you.

Wow!
I’m impressed.

Dave
Toronto

Thanks for your post!
Wondering … is this the future?

I resent the cost of my hearing aids. After all, they’re just repeaters…take a signal, make a change and then shoot it into my ears.

Dave
Toronto

They’re significantly more than repeaters with all the technology inside modern hearing aids that separates human speech from other sounds, etc. I’m getting a pair of KS10’s on Thursday and just demo’ing them in the store with my base prescription programmed was a huge step forward from Airpod Pros.

3 Likes

Yep - being a pro-audio/music guy, I am amazed by the digital signal processing that happens in my hearing aids. Just amazing, really.

2 Likes

Adam and Bob,

I have new hearing aids. They will be 2 weeks old on Friday. They’re Phonak P90-R’s. My previous hearing aids were much simpler and the setup was terrible. I’m hearing birds chirping! Ihaven’t in a long time…

Frankly I stopped listening to music years ago. I’ll have to learn how to listen again!

This is so cool.
Birds chirping along with so many other sounds.
Then speech understanding gets better!
Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks for your good wishes.
My first set of Phonaks I had an amazing audiologist. She sold her business.

Next audiologist— well I could rant and not in her favour.

Mike is wonderful. He is accomplishing miracles. I work for a large, large school board. That’s where the referral came from. I’ve already paid forward. I’ve praised him and he is a miracle worker to the person that referred me. And told Mike so. We have 150,000 students…and staff to serve them. 5,000 staff? I’l find and refer new business for him.

The latest AirPods Pro firmware update to 4A400 (and maybe needs iOS 15 on phone?) makes the microphone pick up speech directly in front of you (ie not using the Bluetooth connection). I have very variable hearing loss and my hearing currently is about as good as it gets. I find the AirPods alone are as good or better than my current Phonak BTE hearing aids. (Actually because I have the “thin tubes” I can put the AirPods in while wearing the aids so in principle both should be doing something.)

1 Like

The Phonaks I had replaced were not set up properly. 3 years!
I warned the audiologist that I was about ready to find Air Pod Pros and try them. Instead I found a real audiologist and now have Phonak Paradise rechargeable hearing aids.They have been a major improvement.

My take–the audiologist’s skills are more important than the hearing aids selected. A bad audiologist can ruin good hearing aids. A good audiologist really makes them work.

Dave

1 Like