Anyone with experience with two BAHAs?

Hello group.

I’m a BAHA user from Denmark who has been using this device since I was about 14-15 years old. I’m using it because I was born with microtia. Back then, the doctor had asked if I was interested in getting a BAHA on both sides, but I opted to go only for one side cause the surgery was quite painful to me.

However, I would like to hear from any users that have experience wearing a BAHA on both sides. Does it make daily-life communication easier? Do you have a better chance at sensing the direction of the source? Are you able to filter background noise, only focusing on the person you’re talking to? I’m hoping for a yes for the first two questions, while the latter would be a miracle!

I would be grateful if you also posted your age; I personally believe that as time goes, it gets more and more impossible to learn the direction of the source, but I haven’t researched much about it either. I’m 27 myself.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

eagerlistener,

I’m not a Baha wearer. If you don’t mind me asking. I have read about the Baha hearing aid.

Do they sound normal? or artificial? Could you describe how the Baha sounds to you?

I hope I’m not being too personal. Just interested. :confused:

0 Likes

have you consider a transear?

I have heard it got similar results…

I while ago, I heard that baha have serious reliability problems… Is this true

or none sense?

0 Likes

Hi David.

Do they sound normal? or artificial? Could you describe how the Baha sounds to you?

<— It’s a bit hard to describe how it sounds compared to a person with normal hearing, since I was born with microtia. But the sound quality is left to be desired at times. I don’t like high-frequency tones, and unless I listen to rock music / punk in a good environment, I can’t enjoy them either due to the multiple frequency sounds from an el-guitar. If the volume is set too high, the sound gets distorted.

I hope I’m not being too personal. Just interested

<— You are not. :slight_smile: Don’t hesitate asking more questions.

0 Likes

Hello xbulder.

I while ago, I heard that baha have serious reliability problems… Is this true
<— Could you elaborate on what you mean by ‘reliability problem’? BAHA mini or micro gives a distorted sound quality even when the volume is set to half only, and I’m guessing there’s a design flaw. The digital version gives an unpleasant sound, but I only tried that for less than 10 minutes too. I’m wearing the Classic version, slightly bigger than mini/micro, and there are some features of the mini that is missing, but it’s my best option as for now.

If this wasn’t what u meant, please post again. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I heard they break down a lot… This might not be true… I was asking
I dont deal with Cochear so I can not honestly say…

I have also talk to the people from Transear, and it seems they have
a good product… Again, I have not heard any reviews from them but
I do like their global - dry and store. I must admit, 1 thing is to make
a dry box and another is to make a Hearing aid…

One thing I could tell you, is that the impression needed is quite quite long…
I would think this is not for everybody, if you have eardischarge for example
it wouldnt really work for you…

Cost should be another issue. as transear does not need surgery…

Which is best. Honestly I do not know…

0 Likes

I heard they break down a lot… This might not be true… I was asking
I dont deal with Cochear so I can not honestly say…
<— It might be true as the new hearing aid (same model) I got last year may need a repair already. On the other hand, I’m using a BAHA Classic which is more than 4 years old and still working.

I have also talk to the people from Transear, and it seems they have
a good product… Again, I have not heard any reviews from them but
I do like their global - dry and store. I must admit, 1 thing is to make
a dry box and another is to make a Hearing aid…
<— First of all, thanks for introducing me to Transear, I will look into the product when I have time. At a quick skimming, it doesn’t seem to fit me since it requires there’s a ear canal. Having microtia means I don’t have that.

One thing I could tell you, is that the impression needed is quite quite long…
<-- What do you mean by “impression needed is quite quite long”?

Are you in the situation of getting a surgery of one or the other?

0 Likes

for the trans ear to work., you need an ear impression
it is really quite deep… So this is not a product for you basically…

I would say I have not seen reviews of the transear…

I have dealt this people because they sell the Dry and store box which
is very good. But as you know one thing is to sell dryers and another
to develop HI…

0 Likes

Has any benefit from having TWO bone conduction aids such as the BAHA ever been reported?

Bone conduction sound is heard by BOTH ears, even if you have just ONE aid.

0 Likes

Hey Eagerlistener,

I’m been wearing two BAHAs since 2006 and life has been so much better!

As a self-employed contractor my communications skills are far better than when I had hearing .The stress of worrying if I’m going to miss something in a conversation has diminished! Directional hearing is good although it could be improved. On my Divinos there is a two switch setting that allows me to focus in on the person while minimizing (not eliminating,) background noise. Baha put hearing aids to shame, but prospects are too caught up in the asthetics than in the fuctionality of it greatly improving your hearing. Go for the second!!

0 Likes

Has anyone here had experience / knowledge of good or bad things with THREELAC?Please advise.

0 Likes