Anyone trialed/purchased Evoke Fashion Power Aid?

Curious if anyone has tried the Evoke Fashion Power? Not finding much info on “net” but its a relatively new aid for a distinct group of people with serious hearing loss. I did review Dr. Olson’s recent video on Evoke. The collection of HA data from “Evoke HA users” doesn’t overly impress me, unless the Evokes can be reprogrammed/updated at a later date to take advantage of collected data. Of course one has to ask if aids are updated is there an extra cost?

The Fashion Power audiogram hearing range is impressive and suited for my hearing loss. On the other hand as Dr. Olson mentioned - 15 adjustment channels is below average for a “state of the art hearing aid”, with 20 plus being preferred. I’m going the disposal battery route so no worry about Widex’s poor choice of rechargeable battery. Be nice to hear if anyone has tested and how aid performed in background noise.

Ahhh - Silence is Golden.

I haven’t tried the Fashion Power (as my loss doesn’t require it) but can speak to your comment about the benefits of data collection. Widex uses the information to improve their algorithms and offers free firmware updates that you can download/install with your phone. They’ve already offered two and the Evoke hasn’t even been out for a year.

I don’t believe the Fashion Power has the same firmware update capability via phone as the Evoke F2 (Fusion) line does, though. The Evoke with the HP receiver could be another option for you, perhaps?

Thanks that helps. I understood the part on the collection of data but was not aware of the “free” firmware updates. I’ll compare the Evoke with HP receiver with the Fashion power. Do you happen to wear WIdex Evoke?

Hi there,
Yes, I do wear the Evoke 440 and am very happy with them.

Take care,
Chris

Chris if I can ask - how much did you pay for your Evoke and how does it handle background noise? In my opinion Widex performs well in quiet settings but falls somewhat short when in a noisy locations like a restaurant.

Hi there,

I’ve been really happy with the performance of the Evokes in noisy situations like restaurants. On their own, they do quite well. When needed, I’ve found that the “Impact” program is also helpful (it is a new program that Widex introduced recently). Others have also found this program to be quite beneficial, even more so than the programs “Social” and “Party” (discussed in another thread). Then, there is also always the SoundSense Learn program to further tune the sound exactly to my liking. No other hearing aid offers this type of user-driven fine tuning on-the-fly.

Prior to the Evokes, I was wearing the ReSound Linx2, purchased in early 2015. I was never happy with their performance, especially in noise. They really paled compared to my Phonak Audeo Smart IX devices (purchased in 2010, if I remember correctly). Phonak had just introduced their binaural streaming called StereoZoom (now Speech in Loud Noise), and it was a game changer that the ReSounds just could never compete with. The Evokes are much better than either which I also think is simply a matter of the technology advancing so quickly these past couple of years.

As to pricing, it can certainly depend. I go to a private audiology practice which includes all appointments, adjustments, cleaning and supplies over three years (and more actually). They take great care of me. The cost is higher than you might find online (the Evoke 440 is around $7,000 for a pair), but I actually believe, that in this case, I’m getting great value for what I paid (and my hearing is a worthwhile place for me to want to invest in quality of care and expertise).

Chris

Thank Chris for info. For what ever reason Widex doesn’t get discussed as much as some of the other brands, which is some what odd since they do make good HA’s. In fact I’d put Widex durability up against any HA brand on the market with fewer repairs over a four to six year period. It would be nice if the Evoke had more adjustment levels (just 15), so I’ll need to research what those 15 levels actually do. I hope the company doesn’t scare buyers away with high prices since most new brands selling in area are $5500 to $6000 for two HA’s. Not counting Costco - which doesn’t offer the most up to date HA’s.

Widex does make great hearing aids. They aren’t offered by as many practitioners and don’t sell through Costco so that may mean there is less chatter about them on the boards. While Dr. Cliff’s main criticism of the Evokes was the 15 adjustment levels vs. some other HAs, I’m not sure whether that truly makes a major difference, especially if their starting sound is better for you (my belief is that hearing is quite personal and that each of us may be better suited to one manufacturer’s approach to sound then another).

Pricing may vary depending on where you live. I live in an expensive area of the country so pricing is likely higher than in other areas to cover salaries, taxes, rent, etc. . .

With regard to speech in noise, I bought some custom Evokes 440 & after one initial set up using the sensogram I went out to a pub dinner & heard all 8 people round the table, no problem. These hearing aids have really blown my mind away with how great the sound is. The customs have an app to change the volume & programmes. I wouldn’t worry about the 15 channels, I have been wearing hearing aids for 40 years and nothing has ever come close to Widex.