Anyone have experience with ReSound M&RIE and other brands?

Would like to hear some experience from Resound users who tried also other brands too about internal mic functionality. Intuitively, it looks like a great idea to emulate human ear and place the mic in the most natural position though at a cost of overcoming problems with speaker proximity. Is this feature a real breakthrough that tips the scale toward Resound? I understand other brands decide to rely on heavy processing of the sound to reach the natural sound even if the mic outside. I have an option to order Resound or other leading brands and trying to get some criteria to make the decision.

@gennadyd I have tried Signia Styletto X3, Oticon MORE 1 and ReSound ONE 9 with M&RIE.
ReSound ONE, for me was the best as far as hearing complex nature sounds, auditorium without echoing. My take is that the technology marrying the Outer microphones with the M&RIE is not fully baked. I still consider ReSound as the #1 solution, but in the future, once they get it adjusted better between components. Oticon MORE, which is what I am trialing now, is close but I am going to settle for an interim solution while ReSound gets ONE to work better.

What do you thing needs to work better? Feedback control? Did you just trial them with domes or did you have molds? I’m curious to know if the M&RIE receivers, being bigger than the usual, will work with custom molds. Did your audi make any comments about that, even if you didn’t try them with molds yourself?

wanted to try the M & RIE but the hearing care professional told me that it was not compatible with my hearing loss, which is too severe, and mainly on bass sounds. Therefore I need a custom mold for my hear canal.

@jim_lewis The integration between the Microphone in ear (M&RIE) and external microphones integration is not working well. The sounds from own voice, brushing teeth, drinking water come through the mandibular bones and are picked up by M&RIE. This is very uncomfortable and annoying. Reducing gain did not fix the issue.
I tried ONE7 with tulip domes – it felt like I was in a tunnel and sounds where picked up via M&RIE. Then ONE9, with new closed domes that are for M&RIE – this still had same issues as before with water, plates and other sounds. To this end, I plugged in my NOAH link and read the settings. I modified them and plates, metal, swishing, brushing sound were not as strong as initial setting. My Audi had not had any experience with M&RIE and pushed for Oticon MORE9. I relented and now I am trialing Oticon MORE9.
So what do I miss the most ? M&RIE was able to pick up conversations clearly in SAMS, 3 houses down conversation on front porch-- all these where clear and I could understand the dialog. Ability to detect sound sources was excellent. Overall, if the technology was better integrated and I found an Audi that excelled with M&RIE, then I would go back to ReSound.
At this point, I am disappointed with Oticon and will send the unit back. As a stop gap, I will again go to Signia Styletto. If I had a contact with ReSound, I would actually like to do another go with ONE9 with M&RIE. I consider it, for myself, as the best solution to my needs.

1. Clear sound without “echoing” in auditoriums.
  2. Ability to detect sound source clearly.
    As to custom molds, I did not discuss with my Audi.
    Kindest regards,
    RJ
1 Like

Thanks for the helpful information on the M&RIE receivers. I plan to get my right HA replaced/refurbished under warranty just before coverage is about to expire in October, 2021, so I’ll take the opportunity then to ask my audi if she has had any similar experiences with her patients and how she and ReSound dealt with it. I wonder if the potential issue varies relative to each person’s individual TMJ construction? I would think that the right mold or dome could block or at least dampen any such conductive sound.

Will still be waiting, though, for the latest and greatest HA’s from each OEM after the release of BT LE Audio and bidrectional sound with MFi HA’s to see how all that turns out before plunking down a bunch of money!

I am wearing the Jabra Enhance Pro with M&RIE from Costco. It’s made by GN/Resound. The sound is great. It’s very natural. Try it at Costco. If you don’t like it, return it within 180 days.

@sabergermd. Just a “helpful” suggestion. You could add to your post just above in this thread by posting a link to your related post in another thread devoted to the Jabras overall. If you keep the link in line with other text, it just shows up in line as a hyperlink. Here: GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

If you make the pasted link a separate paragraph, if it comes from within the discussion forum, you’ll get the beginning of the post (don’t know whether it will work here in my post since I’ve already used the copied link once above here):

To get a link, click on the LINK symbol below a post, then when a box pops up containing the URL, copy that and paste it elsewhere where you want. :link: = link symbol.