Anyone have any issues using their Phonak Marvels outdoors?

One thing that was not fixed that I have observed with some frustration is that the streaming outside is still crap, and gets choppy when in my pocket or if im doing anything outside, BUT then the connection gets better as soon as I’m inside a building or car.

I have the same issue but i just take my phone out and hold it but the thing is it’s not the distance I think something happens to the connection outside. Cause for me if i hold it at the same distance around my pant pocket it still streams alright even though it chops a bit less, but then as soon as i put it inside my pocket it chops like mad. For me it’s just don’t use them outside i guess and try to enjoy the outdoor sounds.

Hopefully Phonak can fix this through software updates.

I wonder if it has anything to do with ISP, cell tower proximity, or whether Android or iOS? I’m using an Android Google Pixel 3 XL, my ISP is Google Fi and in the Atlanta area I always have a strong signal. I’ve had my M90-R’s for 5 months and haven’t noticed any problems.

My LG G6 uses Android Oreo and my carrier is Verizon.

But the connection phone to hearing aids is via bluetooth. I has nothing to do with whether the carrier you are using is CDMA or GSM cellular encoding or what operating system in used by the phone.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that. What then is different about my positive experience and that of other’s who suffer extreme reliability issues?

1 Like

Returned my M70-R’s to my AuD yesterday with a list of issues re BT connection outdoors and the different ways I have tried to improve things; re-pairing, different phones, in/out of pocket. He is going to send them back to the supplier for “checking”. He also supplied me with a pair of trial Marvels for use in the meantime - he’s a nice guy. Australian laws are very strong in relation to goods being fit for purpose. If the BT issues can’t be fixed I could probably get my money back but the thing is I really like the aids in every other regard. I’d have to give it a lot of consideration before changing to another HA.

I had trials and they still suffered from choppy outdoors unfortunately. I think this is normal for these hearing aids and Phonak should resolve them via software updates maybe… idk

1 Like

The issue might be mis-configured software on the Hearing Aids or not properly installed drivers, What OS might be another one.

I think I have a solution, which I may send to Phonak, regarding choppy streaming outdoors. Once I get my firmware update next week, I should be able to pair my Marvels to both my iPhone X and an old Series 3 Apple Watch. Then, I simply attach the watch to the back of my baseball cap and stream music from the watch … when the distance to the Marvels is only a few inches. Problem solved and very sheik looking too

!

2 Likes

That is genius and hilarious @bentsn1 :rofl:

I think the basic problem with the Marvels is that they use a 2.4 GHz carrier frequency to communicate with each aid. It does not go through your head well, and if outdoors there are no hard surfaces to reflect off. Another solution may be to use an aluminum foil umbrella to reflect the signal to your ears!

2 Likes

And avoid alien influences or other nefarious forms of mindreading at the same time! :smiley: , i.e. the tin foil hat!

2 Likes

like this? :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

O.K. I got the firmware update to my Marvels today and am happy to report that the Bluetooth outdoor streaming did seem much better … although not perfect. I would guess that on a 15 minute walk I only had two brief cutouts that were a fraction of a second each … and I can live with that. :smiley:

2 Likes

Problem SOLVED … at least for me. The three steps were:

1. Get the Phonak 2.0 firmware update at my audi’s office.
  2. In my iPhone Bluetooth settings “forget” the pairing for the aids.
  3. In my iPhone Bluetooth settings re-pair with the aids.

Two days (so far) of cutout-free audio outdoors :smiley:

I hope the same works for all of you!!

4 Likes

I’ve tried this fix on my Oneplus 3T running android 9 and it doesn’t solve the issue for me. I already had my firmware update for the hearing aids and now have “forget” and re-pair to the hearing aids. Almost as soon as I went outside it started cutting. Albeit not as much, at least now i can actually hear what im listening to but still has quite a bit of cutouts.

So the problem is still ongoing at least for me.

And if you are streaming outdoors, forget having your phone in a pants pocket … I find that distance to the aids is much too far for uninterrupted Bluetooth. When outdoors I always have to keep my iPhone in the shirt pocket closest to my primary aid (so that the distance is no more than 10 inches). I have also noticed that wearing a leather jacket over my iPhone in a shirt pocket always interrupts the streaming, so the iPhone has to be moved to an upper jacket pocket!

I haven’t experienced any issues with my Marvels and my Galaxy S10+ being in either side pants pocket front or back. My left ear is the primary.

I have the same issue with my android phone. Except I don’t have a leather jacket lol. Phonak isn’t ready with their bluetooth streaming capabilities just yet. Feels like I am wearing a prototype of the hearing aid more than anything.