Anyone familiar with Ron Perkins "nationally known hearing aid expert"?

I rec’d a mailing stating this man will be doing hearing evals in his Doylestown office in a couple of weeks. Allegedly, if you are one of the 31 individuals selected you will try out a Starkey hearing aid and if a hearing improvement is noted you can save up to 50% off MSRP. This also includes free in-office maintenance, a 2-year warranty and 40 free batteries per hearing aid.

I researched Ron Perkins online as it is in my nature to do so - especially when I am potentially going to be investing my hard-earned money. Interestingly, I came across a lawsuit from 11/03 in which he was sued for over $150,000 for leaving some of the mold impression material in the woman’s ear. I tried to find some reviews of the practice, Wetherill Hearing Aid Assocs (W.H.A.A.) online but could not find one.

I also found another article stating Ron was at another event 6/9/09 promoting another brand of hearing aid but only at a 40% discount.

Is anyone familiar with this man or W.H.A.A.?

Ironically, I had just seen the audiologist at my ENT’s office two days prior to receiving the mailing and almost fell out of the chair when she told me the Starkey model shw showed me was $2400 – an amount I cannot afford.

Am very new to this whole hearing deficit thing and am just trying to make sure I do not get scammed.

I smell a rip-off artist! If ti sounds to good to be true…

I received something like that in the mail. It was in the form of a few cards, and if I was selected I could get free blah blah blah. I don’t know if it was Ron Perkins. It was a Starkey rep, I forgot his name. We cautiously made an appointment. You can read a few things about it (here).

My impressions after the appointment is that they send out Starkey reps to various locations together with the mailings to drum up sales for Starkey. There wasn’t any mention whatsoever about selecting a number of people to qualify for benefits. In my opinion, it was a pure sales pitch.

Instead of focusing on how and why my wife’s hearing would be improved, it was more like Starkey is great, Starkey is good, Yah-ah Starkey! It really turned me against Starkey, even though they may have good products.

Oh well. I guess factory reps need to find a way to make a living too.

Thank you both for your input about the potential scam I might have gotten myself into. MUCH APPRECIATED!

The invite I rec’d was also a series of 4 cards - must be the same person.

I am brand new to this whole HA thing and am very wary of getting ripped off since it is such a huge financial investment.

Am hoping to get more comments.

This is also the first time I have ever used a forum aside from just being a reader. Thanks again for your help!

Since you’re in Philadelphia, why not check out America Hears and make an appointment with them.

The Audiology Center is located at:
806 Beaver Street
Bristol, PA 19007
Phone: (800) 492-4515

I’m just a satisfied customer, and have no other interest or affiliation with them.

http://www.americahears.com

http://www.americahears.com/About/Contact.shtml#2

thank you so much, jay man2. I will definitely check them out. Bristol is about 20 mins from my house.

IMHO, America Hears is honest, competent, reasonably priced.

If you have a mild to uncomplicated moderate-severe loss, they are an excellent source.

Severe and profound losses with recruitment need a qualified hands on professional. Ed

I agree completely. And America Hears will be up front and tell you if they don’t have a product that fits the loss profile.

Hey JayMan2 and Ed. Thanks so much for the resources. Will be checking them out tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes.