Any tips for use of the Roger Pen?

My daughter is 7 years old, wears Phonak BTE’s, and has moderate sloping to severe hearing loss (bilateral) caused (presumably) by EVA/EVAS. She’s been aided since 9 months old. She’s doing great, to the point that had we sent her to a public school she’d not have qualified for any services.

We bought a Roger microphone (the one that hangs around the neck and has a clip on mic) that we provide to the school. At home, we usually use the smaller Roger mic that is a self-contained unit that hangs around the neck (microphone inside the small device). We also have a Roger Pen, but haven’t used it very much.

When we have used it in restaurants, we’re not sure if we need to pass it around or just leave it sitting on the table.

I’m wondering if anyone here has tips or best practices for use with the Roger Pen.

0 Likes

1 Like

I’ve been reading here about Roger Pen, very interesting. My Audi said they cost $1500 and maybe more. Also, if they work so well in noisy situations why doesn’t a good set of hearing aids do the same thing?

And according to the cost is there better ones verses moderate run of the mill?

0 Likes

I’ve got a Roger Pen and I just leave it in the middle of the table as long as the table isn’t too big. A table of 4 is as big as I think it can handle.

I also find that I want my hearing aids to be set to Roger + mic instead of just Roger so it means I don’t feel so cut off from the world.

0 Likes

I bought all my Roger equipment on eBay for less then a 1/4 of the price.

I bought a 2017 Roger Pen for $60 and yes it was still cheaper with paying import duties etc then buying in the UK.

0 Likes

This isn’t how big the table is that the Roger Pen can cope with. Any bigger and I think I wouldn’t be able to hear as well.

1 Like

How long does Roger Pens last?

0 Likes

The Pen lasts 6 hours.

0 Likes

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Roger Pen vs the proprietary external mic that comes with their aids? For example, I am a ReSound 3D user and have the multi mic which seems comparable to the Roger for 1/3 the price. Is the Roger pen significantly better does anyone know? Thanks.

1 Like

Even if it marginally is, it is an FM device which requires another intermediate device.

0 Likes

You may want to find out what type of Mic, your Resound Multi Mic is, to compare it properly.

I know the Remote Mic for Phonak is an Omni-Directional Mic which isn’t that great compared to the Roger system.

0 Likes

Going from memory. I’ve seen tests from Resound that show a similar SNR. However, there’s a post from somebody on the forum who has both and uses both depending on the situation. I think he plugs in the receiver to the Roger into his MultiMic. A search for MultiMic Roger ought to find it. If no luck, let me know and I think there’s a pretty good chance I could find it. Roger and a receiver is about $1500 if bought new. A lot of people pick them up at really good prices on eBay. MultiMic can be either directional or omnidirectional depending on settings. It’s a really nice piece of equipment.

0 Likes

How long does Roger Pens last?

0 Likes

6 hours but you should check out the new Phonak Select microphone that will be coming out v v soon.

0 Likes

I will check it out, do you know what the price will be? Roger Pen starts from $1500 as my audio told me.

0 Likes

I don’t know the price but I would think it’ll be roughly the same as the Roger Pen which is £500 (UK) which is about $800.

0 Likes

I looked up Phonak Select Microphone, but nothing came up, maybe it’s still too new.

0 Likes

https://www.phonakpro.com/uk/en/products/wireless-accessories/roger-select/overview-roger-select.html

The size of it is tiny! You can wear it around your neck for Bluetooth calls or place it in the middle of the table to hear other people. It has more microphones then the Roger Pen.

I’m in the UK, I wonder if it’ll be available in the UK first and that’s why nothing came up for you?

0 Likes

I think you’re right, may be in the UK first. Are you going to get one?

0 Likes

Thanks for the site on Phonakpro, but the site said cannot open, oh well.

0 Likes