Any settings to improve Oticon Opn S 1 speech clarity?

Are there particular settings I can suggest to audiologist to improve speech clarity on OPN S1 ? I changed wax filters etc. audiologist did REM

Take notes on the parts of speech that you’re having difficulty with and communicate that to your audiologist.

1 Like

Make sure that the speech in noise is set to +9dB, it doesn’t default to this.

Boosting 1-4Khz at lower inputs (50-65dB) will also help.

Just out of interest, what signal was used for REM? Unless they used real speech (their own voice), it’s likely that the AI in the aid thought it was noise

1 Like

Thanks… it’s pretty much all speech - sounds muffled … I’ll see if there’s any differences in words,etc

't Thanks… this gives me some specifics to ask her… have no clue what signal for REM… I don’t think it was her voice… if I recall, the REM is where you just hear gibberish right?

That makes me wonder if you’re getting the needed high frequency gain. Might want to ask if they set the gains up like you’re a first time user or like you’re an experienced user.

1 Like

“all speech” is a bit vague as “all” might be all speech might be limited to a narrow range that you are presented with. For example do you have a range of live voices from children, women and men, native language speakers and second language speakers? Does this apply to broadcast media too?
There is some critique that modern movie speech is more mutter than speech - my theory is that modern script is subordinated to the visual medium. Is the audio from old movies clearer.
You need to ensure that a full range of speech is inaudible or to realise that it is a particular type of speech.
Suggestions of boosting this frequency or that is not necessarily relevant to your hearing loss.

I have heard there is a difference - I am a 20 year user - but can yu explain the difference please.

No, with modern Hearing aids, you need a live speech signal to be mapped via REM, hence Live Speech Mapping. Using a noise based stimulus tone is has a variety of pitfalls, the worst being that most of the current generation of aids identify it as non speech and shut it off.

There is a caveat to this: some software has a REM/Test mode you can put the aids in. The downside of this is that if you turn off all the Speech enhancement and Noise Management you’re not actually tuning the real world output of the aid.

1 Like

Thanks… Should have given a bit more context… I only started wearing hearing aids 3 years ago (2017) … admit that I’m sure I needed them long before that but … I wore OPN 1 (zpower) … after much frustration with lousing charging issue, Oticon graciously swapped them out for S1s (lithium ion) at no charge to me… That was last December… since I hadn’t had a hearing test since 2017 I asked audiologist about getting one - she was rather non-commital but said if I felt I needed one , sure… so I had one about a month ago… hearing had worsened a bit (left ear at higher freq; right ear at lower freqs) so she made programming changes and after that - background noise was just too loud - ex: small air purifier I have sounded like airplane taking off… so I went back and she did some changes - I was also getting feedback (squeaking) in right ear - she put noise suppression at “highest” level (according to her) but since I was still getting squeaking she did some manual adjustments in addition - finally got rid of the squeaking … so that’s where I am… I’m not sure where my programming is in relation to my “target/ideal” based on hearing test… I appreciate your suggestions…

Thanks… very interesting… I’m getting some great ideas/suggestions for me to ask the audiologist …

Sure; I don’t know if all modern hearing aids do this but at keast with my Phonaks there is a setting for how long you’ve been a user and this will set the default gain to a percentage of the target (prescription) gain, up to 110%. The idea is it helps people adjust more successfully. In my case they had to give me 100%, and then some, on day one as everything sounded really far away with less. With Phonak this can even be done automatically, adjusting the gain target in the aids as you meet hours of wear thresholds.

Yes there is an experience manager, but this strikes me as a more basic programming issue. There’s a physical problem if the seal isn’t great enough to allow sufficient gain without feedback.

Different domes might be the best starting point, then rerun the FBM and the REM.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t think this is the problem either, I was just responding to the person who asked why I wondered about the experience bit.

Thanks, helpful reply about length of time using the aids. Yes, my Phonak calculates the mean time I wear my aids. It is now 15.8 hr/day. The key to all day wear is comfort. I used to have molds and had several types of material trying to improve the comfort. Best I achieved was having to take one or the other out early evening to let my ears breathe and cool down.

I was switched to domes. The audiologist just looked in my ears, selected a pair, and that was it . Two days later passing a branch of the same chain I popped in and one dome was changed to a smaller and more comfortable size. I could now wear these all day with less discomfort. I later changed the larger dome for smaller too. I then changed the other down another side too. Feedback was only apparent if I put my hand near my ear. Comfort was more important than feedback. I actually found acceptable sound with no domes, just the tube.

Moving to Phonak there was no discussion of canal size, domes were fitted, I have a box of spare domes, and that was that. They are comfortable but I was not offered different sizes.

In contrast the these audiologist who just give you a dome, I went into a USN medical facility to get a pair of ear plugs. Rather than just being given a pair I was shown in to an Commander USN Reserve doing his annual summer camp. He checked what I wanted and then measured both ear canals before prescribing the right size plugs. I was only Visiting Forces but got best service.

Sorry for rambling on, but size matters too.