Any HAs that suppress noises over a threshold, like adaptive hearing protection?

n00b question:
Are there any hearing aids that suppress volume noises like gun shots, etc like adaptive hearing protection?

Signia, Rexton, Kirkland, (used to be Siemens) calls it SoundSmoothing. I have the KS8 and requested it be turned up to max, but I still almost jump out of my skin with sudden loud noises. But, then I guess I don’t know what it would be like without it…

@daali, Oticon OPN has what is called a “transient noise” setting. It helps suppress sudden loud noises. On the premium OPN1 or OPN_S1, you have three settings–high-medium-low. On the OPN2-3 models, you just have an “on/off” setting for transient noise. I don’t know if it will muffle gun shots (I would think you should wear protective headphones for that)–but it does help with sudden loud noises. It has to be turned on in the Genie settings by your audiologist. I’m sure that the other hearing aid brands have similar features.

ReSound has “Impulse Noise Reduction” with four possible settings in the fitting software, Off, Mild, Moderate, and Strong - mine is set to Mild.

The info for the setting says :

"Impulse Noise Reduction optimizes comfort. Sudden
loud sounds like a slamming door or clinking glasses
and cutlery can be overamplified by hearing aids,
which can startle and be uncomfortable for the user.
Impulse Noise Reduction prevents this. It quickly
detects sudden loud sounds and ensures appropriate
gain to ensure comfort for the user. "

Unless you’re wearing a very occlusive fitting, very loud sounds are still going to bypass your dome or mold and go straight to your ear drums - so I wouldn’t rely on any such setting for much hearing protection against sudden very loud noises.

I think Phonak calls it Impulse. It is a slider adjustment.