When I first connected the device to Smart Fit, it told me the firmware needed to be updated and loaded up an program to do it. The only non-obvious part is you need to connect he AirLink AFTER the update application starts up. If it’s already plugged into your USB port, just unplug it and replug it in. After a few minutes it is done and it works fine.
The 61 / 62 is the size of the part that goes behind your ear. The difference is the size battery it takes. I’ve got the 62s which give me the larger (13) battery. Let’s me go about ten days with moderate use of the iPhone. I’ve not tried screwing with the Android (I’m an app developer so I have both phones but primarily I use the iPhone) yet, but I guess maybe I should try that.
The level of software functionality is governed by a different model number (5, 7, or 9). I’ve got the 9’s.
Anyhow, as you were told, your HAs are not working properly. The only time mine “auto mute” themselves is when the phone wants to make a noise. Typically this only really happens spontaneously when I get an incoming call or the MAPS app is about to give me a driving direction (my wife was amused when she thought I knew this town we had never been in before and I knew how to get to the destination when in fact, google maps was giving me the turns in my hearing aids).
I think you should definitely bring this up to the Audi. If you bought these through an Audi, you pay for the personal debugging of your problems like this. There are diagnostic logs in the hearing aids that show up in Smart Fit that may help her.