An interesting article all about Cochlear Arrays and Electrodes

In an endeavor to try and understand more about the internal array I’ve got, and how it works I came across this article. Its going to take me awhile to understand it as technology and I don’t mix terribly well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9323156/

2 Likes

I read the intro and conclusion and scanned the rest for the subhead: “Which brand wins” and didn’t see that anywhere. I’m glad scientists understand and do this work for us.

It is a very challenging read! Outside of my area of specialty but it is interesting to see some of the ideas for future electrode development that are discussed.

As a new implantee (3 days ago!) - I definitely appreciate the industry being conservative about new innovations but it is nice to see that there are technologies that may make future implants even better.

Some of the ideas:

• Changing electrode spacing rather than keeping it constant. (The authors show a prototype that spaces electrodes out more near the apex but it seems like it should be clustered more tightly near the apex.)
  • Different materials/coatings for the electrodes for electrical performance and biocompatability,
  • Force sensors in the electrode to help avoid trauma during insertion.
  • New electrical conductors (ex. Carbon nanotubes)

Also interesting to see electrodes listed from companies outside of the Big 3 (Nurobiosys from Korea and Oticon).

Again, many of the ideas are from papers published 5, 10, or 15 years ago have yet to show up in electrodes from the big three. I am perfectly fine with being cautious on this.

On the other hand, I wish processor developments could be be more aggressive.

3 Likes