Am I a CI candidate?

Good advice. I’ll try these next hearing test time.

If you had no response to your hearing test from 500 hertz to 4000 hertz, looking at your audiogram.
CI is pretty much your best solution if approved.
No response means hearing aids can not do any good in those frequencies.
Good luck

2 Likes

The OP has consistently avoided mentioning his country of residence. But I recognized the language of the audiogram. It’s Turkish.

1 Like

That’s true but irrelevant in this topic. I have been wearing hearing aids for 33 years and this is the first time I got denied

That ENT doctor you visited, do they do CI implants? Maybe he was in favor of CIs because that’s more profitable than hearing aids.

Yes they do and they have one of most advanced centers on cochlear implants in the country. I was told It would take me 2-3 years to get implanted.

I can understand why you were denied new hearing aids. Simply because if you go ahead and get a CI 2 of these companies require a specific aid to go with the CI.
Cochlear work best with GN Resound aids.
Advanced Bionics (AB) work best with Phonak.
Med el I think you can wear any aid.

Your just wasting good money now when you could need to buy another new aid after your operation, if you decide to go ahead. But on the other hand you need to be able to hear between now and then. Who told you it’s a 1-2 years wait?

2 Likes

The audiologist who tested my hearing. The audiology department also deal with Cochlear implants so she knows. There are a lot of people waiting for CI especially children.
You also stated a good point in getting a hearing aid when implanted.

1 Like

Do keep wearing the aids you have, it’s important to keep doing this to keep sound going into the ears.

If you need new aids, do your research on CI companies. Then buy the appropriate to suit the CI you are going to get if that the way you want to go.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be sharing my journey to CI.

2 Likes

keep wearing it til you get your implant, keep those connection alive

2 Likes

Yes, it’s important to keep the sound stimuli.

Do you know which side usually get implanted? My right side is better at speech perception.

1 Like

It depends, it seem like bilateral is best for you and i’m not an audiologist there…

1 Like

My surgeon did my good ear first. His reason for this was it had heard high frequencies. I had a SSHL 18 months previously, where my L ear has never heard high frequencies as it is a congenital.

1 Like

Where I am, I would expect them to implant your left in this case and given your loss, so long as there were no anatmoical barriers. But places vary.

1 Like

I’m in Turkey but I don’t think it changes anything. Can my left side gain speech perception over time?

Without the CI? Hard to say. Maybe with sustained auditory therapy you could get a little back. Not to the degree that a successful CI would give it back. Not even close.

1 Like

I mean getting implanted in the left ear.

Oh, yes, there can be huge improvements with a sucessful CI. It takes time, and you have better outcomes if you work at it–it would be worth searching around here to see what people have done after activation to support optimal hearing in their CI. Lots of success stories. :slight_smile: I think I recall Deaf_piper going from a word recognition something under 20% to something over 90% in quiet? But perhaps she’s a special case.

2 Likes

I’m reading threads about CIs. What I see is speech perception takes time and hard work

2 Likes