Alzheimer's hearing aid

I would like to take my 91 yo mother to get hearing aids. She has alzheimer’s and the aids will have to be managed by her caretaker as she will be totally unable to understand how to operate them herself. she can’t even turn her TV on or off.
Does anyone have any recommendations on brands of hearing aids that are easy to use in this sort of situation?
My mother spends most of her time in her quiet apartment with her caretaker. It would be nice to have a conversation with her without shouting.
Anyone else have experience getting aids for Alzheimer’s patients?

A couple of points:

1. Check that WAX is not a key part of the hearing problem!
  2. Recognise that hearing aids may - or may not - confuse an Alzheimers patient.

To be frank, you may or may not have success with hearing aids in such a case.

Having spent many years as an RN working with the elderly, and Alzheimer’s patients in particular, I have never yet had much success with hearing aids for these patients. Often times, hearing aids have been taken out by the patient, and left in all sorts of strange places, including being flushed down the toilet, popped in the freezer, or smashed with a stomping foot. Apart from not being able to tell when the batteries are dead, those with Alzheimer’s are barely able to process simple thoughts, and are often unable to reason. If the hearing aid irritates them for whatever reason (pressure sores, feedback, or even just new sounds), the patient often cannot comprehend this, and will get rid of it in the fastest possible manner. This can be a very costly experiment. If finances are no problem, and you still wish to try, it will be necessary to train all caregivers on proper insertion techniques, as well as cleaning and care of the hearing aid. Also, a remote control may be easier for a caregiver to use. Best of luck to you and your mom.

Fair comments all, but it does depend how far gone the patient is. The key with an Alzheimers patient is to fit them as early as possible so it becomes part of the routine. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to get them to accept it.

You might also want to consider a device such as a PocketTalker. The patient wears simple headphones, and the device can be easily checked by caregivers for battery life and operation. Since it is a little larger than hearing aids, it might be less likely to be lost.