Alera - battery life

I’ve worn ReSound Canta aids (10 years ago), replaced them with Widex Inteo aids (5 years) and am now considering ReSound Aleras. The sound in the audiologist’s office was astounding. And I like the remote microphone and bluetooth applications. I’m really thrilled about possibly getting rid of my ear molds due to high sensitivity in my ear canal which sometimes causes GREAT pain.

I’m somewhat concerned about battery life, however. My old aids only seemed to need replacing every few weeks. Somewhere on this forum I read that the Aleras last only about 3-4 days. Seems like that will fill the landfills much faster.

Does anyone have any experiences they could share which would help clarify this for me?

Hello,

I am trying the Costco Futures, (aka Aleras) and they are hard on batteries. I do have to replace them about every 3-4 days. I can get
a little extra if I don’t use the remote. The battery has to be hot
for the remote to find the HA. The specifications state the battery life is 4 to seven days. Seven is a stretch.

I have had these for about one month and have used to date thirteen batteries. Replaced the ones in the HA’s yesterday.

Yes they do like batteries. At least my do. I do wear mine for about 12-14 hours a day, and open the battery door at rest.

My first HA’s, and they seem to be working okay. Still need a little tweaking.

Modern high density chips especially with wireless can eat a medium size (312) battery in as little as 2 days.

We should expect hearing aids in the future to last 2 or 3 days on a battery.

Progress with chip development - and thus increases in power consumption - is outpacing advances in battery technology.

Not that though, is it.

Most chips pull less power than the ones that are outgoing. Bilateral communication and active feedback management is the killer. With the comms you have to keep the aerial live all the time as well as all the send cycles. With the feedback controls, the receiver is pretty active the entire time: even in ‘quiet’.

Interesting info , um_bongo. I may get significantly longer battery usage if I the had feedback canceller turned off ? and maybe more life time for the hearing aids.

May do: depends on your aids, loss and how occluded you are. There’s no saving if the aid is feeding-back all the time - as the power drain is greatest when the receiver is saturated.

S2Cycle & Hcube ,

It might help if you remove the batteries before you put the hearing aids in the drier . I think that the heat of the drier speeds up the reaction of the zinc air batteries .

The new chips have smaller faster transistors … but lots more of them. Thus the die size won’t be reduced as much as might be expected as track widths drop.

The increased clock speed will burn more energy too.

Also the aids are actually doing more with the latest fancy algorithms - less idle time.

As you say, the improved f/b managers and the wireless add-ons will be the real killers.

In five years time hearing aids will running almost too hot to touch!

Is bilateral communication a “must have”?

The Widex Clear440 and the Phonak Ambra, that I tried out with my previous audi, had bilateral communication. I am rather suprised the Alera 961 do not have it, or am I wrong?

They do talk to each other but not full audio transfer. They do lots of communication with the remote devices though.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I must admit I’m a little befuddled about some of what you are talking about, but I just don’t know lots of the intricacies of HAs. I just put them in and turn them on.

I have the Aleras 961 on proof since 10 days. Sometimes I wear the aids 12 hours a day, sometimes less. Let’s say 8 hours on average and I didn’t have to replace the batteries up till now.

I have been doing as some one suggested on this forum, to remove the batteries when you put your HA’s in the dryer. It will let the batteries last longer. I have tried this, this last go around, and it does seem to be working.

Will keep you posted as to what effect this may/does have.

:slight_smile:

I have Aleras. I get three days of battery life if I wear them 16 hours a day with the wireless features enabled by default and if I put the aids in the dryer with the batteries in the aids. I get six days of battery life if I remove the batteries from the aids before putting them in the dryer overnight, turn off the wireless features,* and don’t spend a lot of time in noisy environments or in program modes. Four to five days of battery life is typical for me with my normal use.

You’re worried about filling landfills with the batteries? I’m conscious of filling landfills, too, but in the grand scheme of things, this isn’t worth much when it comes to hearing aid batteries which are tiny. I’ve saved all my old hearing aid batteries in one plastic bag over the last 18 months to recycle back with my audiologist, and the bag easily fits in the palm of my hand and weighs less than one empty soup can. They no longer make aid batteries with mercury in most cases in the US, so the environmental damage is negligible.

Other people (mostly people who are used to other aids whose batteries lasted for weeks) worry about the cost of hearing aid batteries. If you shop carefully, with four-day battery life, you’re spending about a buck a week on hearing aid batteries or $60 a year. In the context of the cost of the aids, this is nothing.

*RE: Turning off wireless mode on the Alera: This only applies to the Alera models with wireless features, of course. You turn off the wireless features on these Aleras by holding the button down for two seconds as you close each battery door to turn the aids on–you’ll hear a repeating double-chime instead of the normal repeating single chime to indicate that you have turned the wireless features off. This is also called Airline Mode because you’re supposed to use this mode if you have your aids turned on while taking off or landing. Remember, they say turn off all electronic devices? It’s important to do this with Aleras and other aids with wireless features because they can interfere with airline navigation under 10,000 feet. Doing this all day every day also gives you a small bump in battery life, because the wireless feature burns batteries.

Hello Hamjor,

Thanks for this very good write up. I have noticed that the batteries do last longer if I remove them from my HAs when I put them in the dryer.

How long have you found the 2 AAAA batteries in the remote to last? I am sure a lot depends on how much one uses the remote; but I am interested to just get an idea what to expect. Is it a week, month or multiple months?

I am thinking that they will last a few months. I have only had this unit for two
months, and it still works fine.

I did pick up a set of batteries at Kroger, this is Duracell brand. The
expire date is March 2014. I had checked at Radio Shack, their own brand
was IIRC $5.99, I paid $3.48 for the Duracells.

I just wanted a spare set.

That is great news. I ordered 6 energizers from Amazon for $4.75. A very good deal.

lack of mercury means loss of shelf life and the battery will not hold its charge as well. I recommend all to stock up on mercury batteries if you can.

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=7189&highlight=mercury+battery

I got one month out of my first set of AAAA batteries. So I bought two sets expecting them to last a month. I’ve been getting three months since them. The original set came with the remote and probably wasn’t fresh.