"Alarm clock" option for HOH and d/Deaf people

This may seem a little bit weird, but my husband and I have come across a fitness product that has a tool which seems useful for those of us with hearing loss. We’ve been using the Fitbit Flex as part of a health initiative through his job and my husband discovered yesterday that the vibrating alarm clock works wonders!!! He’s not HOH at all; however, he’s been sleeping in my 3 year-old’s room at night because of her fear of the dark, and has been frustrated that even at its quietest volume, his alarm clock has been waking her up early every morning, yet the buzzing option on his cell phone wasn’t waking him. So he decided to try the “buzzing” alarm function on the Fitbit and has found that it wakes him up much more quickly, and with less of a shock, than any radio or buzzer alarm ever has. Anyway, in Canada, the Fitbit wrist band, the cheapest one - which is what we are using - costs around $100, so it’s relatively cheap compared to some alarm/radio/buzzer options. I’m going to try it out myself for tomorrow morning just to see what I think. I don’t currently have any great problem with hearing my clock radio go off at a reasonable volume, but if I don’t have to introduce noise to our quiet house first thing in the morning, I’d prefer not to.

Just to clear up any concerns, I’m NOT in any way affiliated with FitBit. I don’t sell the product, don’t endorse it, and am in no way monetarily benefiting from this recommendation! I’ve only had mine for four days. However, in terms of monitoring basic fitness, it’s a great product, and the added benefit of the vibrating wrist alarm clock seems like a fantastic option for those of us with hearing loss who are also fitness-minded. If you try it out, I’d be interested in knowing what you think.

Kerry

I have the FitBit one and I too use it ad my alarm. The one is a clip style device with an armband to hold it for sleeping. It works great.

— Updated —

I have the FitBit one and I too use it ad my alarm. The one is a clip style device with an armband to hold it for sleeping. It works great.

Chuck;
Even as I was writing my post last night, I wondered if you would already know about this product. Glad to hear it works great for you! Mine didn’t work…there seems to be some sort of issue with the alarm clock setting. My husband had no difficulty programming his, but mine has been challenging. Hopefully we can figure out the issue soon so that I can try it out as well. I really like the idea of having something vibrate on my person rather than on the night stand.
Kerry

I have been using the Fitbit for over 3 years, and the One for over a year, I love them and the sleep mode and alarm are great. Are you having issues syncing the device, if so to what app. I may be able to help you. Also a good source if you are on Facebook, check out FitBit friends they can help a lot I learn new things everyday.

My husband and I figured out how to set the alarm on mine tonight. We think it may have been finicky because the battery level was low. I had no idea about the FB group. I’ll have to check it out.

Kerry

The fitbit friends is a wonderful and sometimes crazy bunch, I love to read about how everyone is doing and you can also ask question about almost any fitbit and get an answer.

— Updated —

The fitbit friends is a wonderful and sometimes crazy bunch, I love to read about how everyone is doing and you can also ask question about almost any fitbit and get an answer.

I’m wondering if there’s any way to make the volume of my iphone any louder. For the ring tone, I use the default, and have the ringer at maximum. I’m on call for work, and slept through a phone call this week. Fortunately, I woke up two hours later and saw that there was a voice mail and answered it at 2:30 a.m.we are now using iPhones instead of beepers.I’m concerned that someone might think I have my phone turned off or am ignoring calls from work.

I did some research and was not able to find a way other than just setting the ringtone volume as loud as possible and also searching for ringtones that are the loudest. I will do some more research and if I find something I will post back, I have had the same issues in the past, but now I have finally retired.

Maybe the default ringtone isn’t the best for your hearing loss. Why don’t you try some of the other ones that are a little nosier in the frequencies where you hearing is best. I gave up on the default tone a long time ago, because I missed it whenever I was in a situation with a bit of background noise.