Age related hearing loss - How does it occur?

I’m just wondering if age related hearing loss is down to the hairs in the cochlear dying because you’re getting older? Or is it being exposed to ‘moderate’ noise over your life time? Or even a bit of both?

0 Likes

I think it’s because the hairs migrate to the outer ear and nose abandoning the innyrds. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

LOL…:rofl:

0 Likes

If the OP has accepted that this thread is a lost cause, may I ask:

If hair migrates downward, do I need to stand on my head a few hours a day to avoid baldness?

1 Like

Hey we’re all in this boat of not-ideal hearing. No reason jokes can’t be made. :slight_smile:

I have no idea if this is anything resembling a thing but…I liken the cochlea hairs and noise to impact radius or shock wave like trees around a volcano or explosion. The hairs get flattened or less able to “feel”.
But what do I know.

0 Likes

Some people are just more susceptible to hearing loss, it might be genetic. I have seen two people working side by side in a saw mill, one develops a significant loss while the other stays pretty much normal. I have tested 90 year olds that were still borderline normal, so go figure.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve been deaf since FOREVER, but here’s some insight as to why YOU guys may lose your hearing as you age.

I still haven’t won the lottery, but at least my poor hearing finally plateaued at a truly dismal level years ago, with little change since. Last I looked, my ear and nose hairs were still in place, too, but it could be that my eyesight has failed and I’m just fooling myself. :neutral_face:

1 Like