Advice about molds and 85db vs 100db receiver

Even over 2.5KHz, all you’re likely to get is too much power and distortion affecting the better part of your low frequency hearing.

The way I’d run that is to follow the normal gain levels to 2 KHz and then just roll the response flat across from there. There’s really no point in trying to pump in 33dB of gain at 3Khz and affect your lower pitches. The 85dB can do that without pain.

You’ll also save yourself a lot of feedback and canal seal issues.

(Have a look at the Speech Rescue settings too.)

4 Likes

Okay I understand your point now.

2 Likes

that is totally reasonable sir , i will discuss that with the Audiologist!
about custom molds is there any preference for my hearing loss ??

Thank you for u help.

Decide if you prefer the canal fit of moulds over domes. Oticon used to do some pretty nifty micro-moulds. You might hate them due to the relative lack of venting over domes.

Given your good low frequency results I’d suggest you need at least a 2.4mm vent, but Genie 2 might pull out a different result, and you might prefer a slightly more occluded fit. That said, there’s more room around an 85dB receiver to play with different options.

We also find that semi-soft acrylic at about 10-12mm depth holds it’s shape pretty well: especially if you can get a decently deep impression. It will also take a small vari-vent kit to change the diameter of the venting. The other good thing about the acrylic is that it bonds well on the back face - I put a drop of UV setting acrylic liquid after I’ve fully inserted the receiver to make the faceplate look tidy.

3 Likes

I appreciate your time and well elaboration sir .
I like in canal molds indeed, May I ask how soft- acrylic (semi hard) look like ?
Aud said they are only hard , and soft ones are silicon type.

That’s interesting. They fitted me with UP receiver.for resound quattro/omnia… So are you saying in my case, it is a waste of power? I hear up to 5 kh which is the exact freq range for UP or should step down to HP speaker to get more freq out of this/?

1 Like

Hold your horses there!

Look at the comparison of results at 500-1000Hz.

Yours is a much more severe hearing loss. Yours needs much more low and mid frequency power. A larger diaphragm and coil is needed to to make those bigger and slower vibrations, which also consequently need to be ‘held’ in the ear canal.

The comparison would be that the guy above needs a powerful engine like a Ferrari, yours needs a powerful engine as in a small truck.

Also, the fitting strategy is different; retaining more of your high frequency loss isn’t going to detriment your lower pitch hearing as it’s also reduced by a fair amount.

3 Likes

That’s a great explanation! the bigger the diaphragm makes it extremely hard to produce high freq sound which is why we have subwoofer and tweeter in the world of speakers… Physics is weird sometimes.

3 Likes

Wonderful posts. I learned a lot. Thank you.

DaveL

I have unequal loss and self program, use Resound One’s. I have had molds made for both 85db and 105db receivers for my bad ear and had an audiologist do REM for both and stored those settings. Then I adjusted both in SmartFit trying to find the best speech comprehension settings and found the 85’s work best for me. I guess my loss in the speech
frequencies matches up better when using the 85’s. Freq lowering with the 85’s seems to work better than the increased gain in the 105’s. The 105’s are also huge compared to the 85’s. I use zero venting, I would get slight feedback at times with even the smallest vents on both receivers. I just ordered some silicone molds with a retention thingy as my acrylic ones back out slightly at times.

2 Likes

is your receiver the MP, HP or UP? I only know the name not the db number. FDA have approved CI for Asymmetric hearing loss. I can tell you it works pretty good for me. My diagnosis for the insurance company when i was getting a CI is asymmetric hearing loss. you may want to get yourself an evaluation and see if you can get one for your bad ear like i did… it is good info for yourself, if you want to improve yourself…

1 Like

MP in left ear, UP for right. But after adjusting. I perfer the MP now for both. Thanks for the advise. I will look into that.
Do you mind me asking how your CI went? And how is it working out?

Working very well, it took about a year to get used to it. I hear far better in noise because both ear are able to work together scoring around 96% in quiet and 65%-70% in in noise. Music sound better with CI than with hearing aid. My brain is able merge 2 half together. I can no longer tell the different between the hearing aid ear and CI ear, CI ear is much more stronger and much more detailed than my hearing aid ear.
Also, my hearing aid ear was training my CI ear to hear again which made it easier for me to use and adapt. I have excellent speech understanding with my hearing aid ear like 80% in speech testing

4 Likes