Advantages of Channel Free?

I have been researching the Bernafon Verite and read about how it is channel free. I am confused as far as the channels. Wouldn’t a hearing aid with a higher number of channels have more room for adjusting? I read that music sounds better with the channel free, why?

I also want to find out what the difference is between the Bernafon Verite and Veras, since they are both channel free. It seems like there is more people that have experience with the Verite on the Forum than the Veras.

Thanks for you time!

The Verite is a RITE or RIC style open fit BTE, and the Veras is a family of aids, one of which can be configured as an acoustic thin tube open fit BTE. The Verite has been around a while, whereas the Veras is newer.

http://www.bernafon.com/com_en/Professionals/Products/VERAS/Index

With ChannelFree there is less distortion to the signal. This is said to preserve the signal and as well to some extent the quality, and improve vowel identification.

Here is a technical description

http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2009-08_03.asp

The ChannelFree hearing aids do still have frequency bands but not channels, i.e. the level within each band is not calculated, just the overall level.

Pure marketing BS, no doubt.

Actually no, it’s not. The idea has been around for many years, it featured on many earlier products from Bernafon, but it seems to have come of age when coupled with the latest generation of faster processing chips.

After all, why should chopping up the sound into twenty or so independent channels that you apply differing levels of compression to work better than this method?

Of course: it used to be called “analog.”

analogue will be back… Already the oticon agil tries to have the signal as linear as possible (yes analogue is not the same as linear)- I would expect other will have something similar soon.

Yes, well… I’m sure that Phonak will counter with its own “100% Transistor-Free” model that will offer much better performance. It could use pure, unadulterated electrons in a vaccuum, instead, that could be accelerated to nearly the speed of light! Only $10,000 per ear. :smiley:

Don’t be dull about it. If the system is capable of samping at 10KHz and applying different gain levels at each in a way that removes specific banding together of frequncies it doesn’t become analogue. Quantisation still occurs which alllows FFT analysis of noise etc: clearly still digital.

to be accurate, it has a 10,000hz bandwith therefore it has to be aple to sample up to
20,000hz (nyquist rule right)… right?

I belive, bernafon said something like- by not splitting the sounds in to channels they are able to process sounds more than before. There is also some argument about signal integrity. UMBONGO could probably elaborate on this matter. Im guessing they use something like a broadband limiting compression

Anything more than two times the bandwidth, you just sample the 9750 points twice.