Adjusting to new hearing aid

I just acquired my first hearing aid 10 days ago (Widex Moment), and I’m having trouble adjusting to it. I feel like I have a megaphone in my right ear (I only need one). Listening to music in the car is not enjoyable anymore and everything sounds so loud. I’ve used the AI settings on the app and tried to tweak the settings and that’s helped slightly, but it’s still bothersome. I go in for my follow up in another week and am hoping this gets better (I’ve been told it takes awhile).

Just glad that there’s a forum here for me to learn more about this. People have told me it can be life changing but I have yet to be convinced.

Welcome to the forum.

Pending on your hearing loss it can take more less time acclimate to new aids.
If loud is the only problem can you turn the volume down?
Be sure and take notes about your concerns. Describe the environment and the issue. Your fitter can help you with this information.
Good luck

3 Likes

You’ll find its take longer to get used to a hearing aid when competing with background noise, car noise, road noise, wind, etc. This is why you need to meet with your audiologist and have him/her make some adjustments in noise/background program. I always turn my aids down a little while driving, listening to music and don’t expect to hear perfectly since there are so many competing sounds be it air conditioning, tire noise, engine noise, etc. If your aid help you in quiet settings then you have one foot in the door. Next test you aid in restaurants, large indoor groups, concerts, etc., (which all are limited now) due to virus.
I’d also listen to music at home in a controlled environment and see how you do. It takes time but I bet after your next Audi adjustment you’ll feel more comfortable with your new Widex.

1 Like

It always takes time to get use to hearing aids. This is very true when it comes to a hearing aid use in one ear. If you are new to using it you could turn it down. Then as you get use to it you can turn it up. Depending on how long you had hearing loss in the ear it may take time to be able to take the full amplification your prescription needs. There is a great video that could explain it better. Talk to your audiologists and see if they can adjust it to a more comfortable Volume and slowly increase it as you get use to it. Hope this is helpful to you

2 Likes

I can only echo what the others have said.

Typically with a new hearing aid, the volume is set low to start and during the adjustment period slowly increased to match your prescription. Have you tried using the volume control button on the aid to reduce the volume when you are in the car?

When I picked up my new hearing aids Nov 1, 2019, I remember the drive home being crazy with the tire noise so loud I could barely concentrate. My first adjustment was for 2 weeks later. I started making notes, which I highly recommend. Here are some examples of things to consider. Things like:

• in the car I have to reduce volume 3 beeps due to tire noise
  • listening to the TV I have to increase volume 1 beep (or set the volume on the TV louder than acceptable)
  • walking outdoors I can’t hear birds (high pitch sounds)
  • I can hear my hair on my ears (for someone with shoulder length long hair, as an example)
  • Sitting at the dining table I can hear the person on my right, not on my left, I have to turn towards the person
  • Sitting at the table I can’t hear the person across from me; note it helps to specify if voice issues are male or female, that is high or low tones

This is all part of the process. Mechanically setting the hearing aid to match your prescription is only the first step in the process. Armed with all your situational info, you are set up to get the maximum benefit from your first appointment for adjustments. The audiologist will be able to look at the list and spot similarities. High tones with lots of background noise are lost, for example. And then the audi can make the adjustments to fine tune the hearing aid for you. The 2d appointment should go the same way, but you should have a much shorter list of concerns that need to be addressed. Usually the later appointments are when programs are set. Things like, when you are in a meeting room with 12 people, use program 1; when you are in the restaurant with a lot of ambient noise use program 2 to hear the female voices at your table.

Adjustments are when things get set based not only on your specific hearing, but also your specific lifestyle. I am retired so having meetings is a non-issue, but you may be in a work setting with meetings twice a day. I may attend a book club meeting at the library in a large room with many echo effects, but you may never be in such a situation. This is why your notes, as detailed as possible, will help improve things more rapidly at each adjustment appointment.

Sorry so many of my examples are from B.C. days. (Before Covid). In time I’ll get a new set of examples.

2 Likes

Lots of good info here. I agree with turning the volume down. Like you, 6 months ago I had one good ear. I didn’t pursue getting a hearing aid, just used my one good ear for over five years. 4 months ago I lost hearing in my good ear. I was scrambling to get some kind of hearing back and I did with hearing aids. It’s been a struggle adjusting and I’m sure using just one aid and normal hearing with the other would be even more difficult. Hang in there and know your doing what’s best for yourself.