Adjusting of aids

Hello: First time on the forum, ( new-be ) . I have a question that I hope you good folks can relate to and help me with. I have came to the conclusion that over the last 15 years that I have had to ware hearing aids that the aids are not any better the the technician that is programing them. I have a pair of Resound Metrix BTE and I do believe they are good quality and for $5000.00 one would surely think so. These were bought in UK and adjusted at that time and worked just fine. That was two years ago and I have just in the last two weeks taken then to two different Resound dealers to fine tune them and are now so screwed up that everybody and everything sounds like they are talking threw a broken speaker. They adjust them on a computer from the audio gram, thanks it… Then they install them back into my ears in a dead silent office room, no noise, no music, no people talking as you would hear in a natural setting and ASK " how do they sound " I am thinking, how do they sound compare to what? I would think that after they do there computer thing that they would take it to the next level and fine tune them in a natural setting even if it meant leasing to people, music etc there a good speaker system. Does this happen or should it happen and I just don’t know about it. One other thing that really gets me is when you call a vendor and talk to them about adjusting your aids the first thing they ask is " where did you get them ) really what is the difference, the mechanic don’t ask where I bought my car when I get a oil change or tune-up, for some reason the hearing aid vendors are really hung up on this. I know there should be a solution to my problem and sure would like to have some input to help me threw this. best regards

I just returned a call from ENT Nebraska in Lincoln, NE. and to adjust my aids which I didn’t buy there they are asking $250.00 (per ear) up front to adjust them saying that would put me on a outpatient status. Is this what it has come to? Not one hand out but both hands out, just fill them up, $$$$.

That sure makes the America Hears adjusting software that comes with their aids, alot more appealing.

Since the AH’s software is installed and programming hardware is next to my computer I do not fret over anything that needs tweaking even IF I do nothing about it.

I actually need to push a little more volume to my right LOF open fit aid but just doing it with the volume control. :slight_smile:

When you purchase an instrument in the US you pay a bundled fee that includes the fitting (programming). This fee goes to the person who sold you the instrument. The fitter who sold you the instrument already collected all the fees for servicing you, so it is no surprise the second fitter wants to be paid for this service.

Or to continue your analogy, you are trying to take a week old Ford in for warrantee work at a Chevy dealership.:smiley:

err… You mean, we can’t do that? :eek: No wonder they laughed at me…

You’re absolutely right in that respect. You could have the newest, most advanced ________ (fill in the blank) there is… and if the person doing the adjusting doesn’t know what they’re doing, then what you have isn’t worth a darn.

I have a pair of Resound Metrix BTE and I do believe they are good quality and for $5000.00 one would surely think so. These were bought in UK and adjusted at that time and worked just fine. That was two years ago and I have just in the last two weeks taken then to two different Resound dealers to fine tune them and are now so screwed up that everybody and everything sounds like they are talking threw a broken speaker. They adjust them on a computer from the audio gram, thanks it… Then they install them back into my ears in a dead silent office room, no noise, no music, no people talking as you would hear in a natural setting and ASK " how do they sound " I am thinking, how do they sound compare to what? I would think that after they do there computer thing that they would take it to the next level and fine tune them in a natural setting even if it meant leasing to people, music etc there a good speaker system.

I would have thought the Audi/BC-HIS would have bench marked the HA’s BEFORE they made any adjustments. Now that would have been the smart thing to do… but what do I know!

Does this happen or should it happen and I just don’t know about it. One other thing that really gets me is when you call a vendor and talk to them about adjusting your aids the first thing they ask is “where did you get them”? really what is the difference, the mechanic don’t ask where I bought my car when I get a oil change or tune-up, for some reason the hearing aid vendors are really hung up on this. I know there should be a solution to my problem and sure would like to have some input to help me threw this.

Should your mis-adjustment problem/situation happen(?)… NO! As far as two year old HA’s and questioning payment for adjusting? I would think it depends on the factory guarantee that came with your HA’s. If my guarantee is for two years (which includes the free adjustments) then why should I have to pay?

Let’s see if I can explain it another way. I own/wear Starkey J13 Cierra BTE’s. At the time I purchased them (for a exorbitant price of $3,600 cash out of my pocket with NO insurance reimbursement might I add), the manufacturers guarantee was one year. If within that year I needed any adjustments to my HA’s, then it would be done for FREE! After all, I paid for those adjustments in the original price, so why should it matter to me who does the adjustments?

Let me give you a parallel example. Two years ago my wife and I purchased a brand new Saturn Vue. We went out of state to visit our daughters and grandkids. While visiting, one of the mandatory XXX mileage checkouts rolled around so I took it to the local Saturn dealer. The work was done and I paid exactly… NOTHING !! If it’s done that way in the auto industry… then why can’t it be done in others (HA’s)?

I know. Some of you Audi/BC-HIS’rs are going to say you don’t work for free. OK, that fine and I can agree to that… but why don’t you just back charge either the manufacturer or the original dispenser. Problem solved.

Shi-Ku Chishiki ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

many of the manf. are currently buying a lot of dispensing chains,
I think this will be a reality in a few years time

Back again; Well just found out that the ReSound Metrix MX 80 DV aids that I bought in UK are chipped different than the ones here in the US and they have to be sent in to the factory to be re chipped or the software reprogrammed to be able to program them with the USA equipment. How about that!!! Just when you thought you have seen everything.:rolleyes:

I have an appointment at 1:00 PM 04/27/2009 at the University of Nebraska Barkley Speech and Hearing Clinic with the audiologist and I assume I will get the " why did you buy them over there" or “sorry we can’t do much for you because” something to that affect, just a guess. All I can say is I had two choices when I purchased these in the UK, either take a chance on these for a 1/4 the price or go without, just that simple. We will see!! regards Skip R

THE BEST STORY EVER: MONDAY THE AUDIOLIGEST SAID THEY CALLED RESOUND HOME OFFICE IN MN. WITH THE SERIAL NUMBERS I GAVE THEM. SHE SAID THAT RESOUND SAID THAT THEY BOTH CAME FROM EU. SHE SAID I NEEDED TO BRING THE HAs IN SO THEY COULD SEND THEM IN TO GET RECHIPPED ETC. BECAUSE OF THEM BEING FROM THE EUROPEN UNION ACCORDING TO THE SERIAL NOs AND BEING STILL UNDER WARRANTY. FRIDAY THE AUDIOLIGEST SAID I NEEDED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AS THEY WANTED TO TALK TO ME SO MONDAY 1:00 PM IT WAS. SHE LEAD ME INTO THE OFFICE AND GIVE ME A STORY YOU WON’T WON’T FORGET. SHE SAID ( NOT TO MY SUPPRISE) THEY NEVER SENT IN.:confused: NOW COMES THE GOOD PART, REMEMBER NOW SHE SAID SHE TALKED TO RESOUND ABOUT RECHIPPING ETC., NOW SHE IS TELLING ME THAT THE SERIAL NOs. SHOW THAT ONE WAS TO HAVE BEEN RETURNED TO THE RESOUND PEOPLE BECAUSE OF A REPLACEMENT THING OR SOMETHING WHICH IT NEVER WAS AND IF SHE WOULD HAVE SENT IT IN THEY WOULD HAVE KEEP IT. AND THE OTHER METRIX AID HAD A DIFFERENT INSIDES THAT WASN,T METRIX AND THAT THEY WERE NOW BOTH USA ORIGIN NOT EU AS THEY ORGIANAL SAID. I MENTIONED THAT THEY BOTH CAME THREW CUSTOMS AND I ASSUMED THAT WAS THAT. THE WHOLE THING WAS ALL REAL UPSETTING TO HER AS THEY WERE BOUGHT ON EBAY, THAT IS WHAT REALY GOT HER GOING. HOW DID SHE KNOW ABOUT THE ONE HAVING A DIFFERENT INSIDES AS NEATHER ONE GOT SENT IN OR OPENED UP. I THEN ASKED HERE WHICH ONE WAS METRIX AND WHICH ONE WASN’T AND SHE COULDN’T TILL ME. SHE DID GO AHEAD AND REPROGRAM THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME AND AFTER A FEW TRAYS ENDED UP AS GOOD AS I ASSUME THEY ARE GOING TO GET. WHAT REALY GETS ME IS THE FIRST PART OF THE STORY WAS THE COMPLETE OPPESET OF THE LAST HALF. AND ALL THE TIME I WAS IN THERE ( ABOUT AN HOUR) SHE WAS REAL NERVES THE WHOLE TIME. I HAVE A GOOD IDEA THERE WAS NOTING WRONG WITH THE HAs OTHER THAN THAN THEY CAME FROM EBAY. $50.00 IS WAS OUT OF THERE. SHE DID SAY WITH MY HEARING LOSS SHE SUGGESTED THAT I NEEDED A PAIR OF PHONAK NAIDA AIDS.??

There is some set of legalities that go along with hearing aids and their designation as a medical devise. The serial #'s matching to a particular individual is to keep dispensers and others from selling used devises to unsuspecting buyers. In some medical circumstances I can see how this would be legitimate.
In the wheelchair handicapped community this was a huge issue. As a medical devise motorized wheelchairs cost thousands, probably the going cost of a premium set of aids. Some how the lock has been broken and you see the four wheels, a motor, and steering mechanism, on sell on TV , 1/3 the price. Mass produced. They guarantee medicaid will pay or they will.
I too purchased a pair of aids from England a few years ago, I knew they were used or at least demo’s. After I purchased them I told the seller (Now I just need a way to program them). She replied that she had an Audi who would first fit them for me. My impression was that the audi could not sell them so had a proxy do it for him or her.
A year or so later I had a project that forced me to be outside in rainy drizzle for a few weeks, and I ended up with a nonworking aid. I called an independent repair place to line up repair. I was already under the impression that if I sent them to phonak there would be issues. I even asked the repair co. if there would be an issue, my name not lining up with the phonak registered #'s. He told me of course not…
I can’t know the situation with your aids, but the bottom line issue is the medical devise designation. If that went away numerous things would change, for the better in my opinion.
It’s already a buyer beware situation.